Nitrite Burns?

ashv20

Ok so I wasn't on top of water changes for my baby pearlscale and today; aftr doing a 90% water change I noticed that his fins are looking a bit under the weather...there is a split in one tail, and looking now at the rest of the fins they are a but uneven...

The nitrite levels were...very purple...

ammonia was zero

and p.h. 7.6 as usual...

is this just a result of poor water quality and should I treat the little guy with salt?

I will add that he is in a small tank with inadequate filtration due to him being too small for the big tank.

This sounds like this is a result of poor water quality. Clean water and .1% salt should help heal his fins. It might be better to put him into the big tank if you are running into water issues.

What she said. ^^^ If this pearlscale hasn't finished 3-4 weeks quarantine, keep it in a larger container by itself. Salt should also detoxify nitrite in the meantime as you add it but water changes are more important.

Thanks for fast reply guys!

I did big water change and I will add salt now...

I bought some from my lfs, that they package themselves, I do trust them and the owner.

It says it's used for General tonic and stress reducer, tropical fish treatmenr or with a remedy, or to hatch brine shrimp eggs, is this the stuff to use?

• Supporter

yep, you should start to see changes within a week from using it.. but remember to replace the salt as you water change.. and only add back for the qty of water that you replace.. also, know that salt does not go away on it's own, the only way to remove salt from the tank is to water change without adding it..

hope this makes sense.. :heart