Look At All My Albino Bn Babies!

Migaloo

Yes... when they're big enough they will sadly end up at the LFS :( ... Hopefully most of them will end up in a good home and live long happy lives.

One LFS said I could have $2.50 - $3.00 AU for each one... another one said I could do a trade... I'll see what happens when the time comes.

But they do take a long time to reach LFS size... at least 3 months - and they breed alot faster than they grow so there will be no more spawning for mum (or "mom" for the Americans :P )and dad for quite some time!! :aint:

I think I've had 3 batches of babies now - maybe 4 (cant remember LOL). The largest ones are in the guppy tank at about 2 inches :) .

• Supporter

they're so cute.. i do like them but from all the bad stories i hear, i won't mix them with my goldies and i refuse to have a tank that does not have goldies in it..

you should ask koko for your breeder's medal for your siggy.. :)

Wow...so many :Congrats:

Thats soo weird though as my baby albino bristles were totally gold color from day one :o They look sooooo different!!! Amazing :D

Trinket - it might be possible yours were L-144s which are a yellow coloured BN, rather than true albino. Easy to tell by the eyes. Did they have red eyes or black eyes? It is said there are 2 types of true albino BNs - a golden albino without patterns or a lighter one (like mine) with patterns. Although, my adult male is turning more of a golden colour these days, he didnt turn gold until he matured... so albino genetics is a bit iffy... but the red eyes are a giveaway of true albino!

Thank for the comments guys! I dont think I deserve a medal... they just breed by themselves! I moreso deserve a medal for STOPPING them from breeding! :rofl

Ashlee.. I'll just pop half a dozen in the mail for you! :D

Stakos - dont be afraid to put BNs with your goldfish. They are a really placid pleco - the horror stories you have heard are probably about other types of plecos. BNs can go with pretty much any freshwater fish. They are so interesting to watch and add an extra point of interest to the tank. My female is very friendly and always comes up to say hello. My male is more shy.

I'm not sure they go well with snails though... Maybe someone can confirm this?

i have them with goldfish all the time. Never a problem. They are perfect for godlfish tanks if you want a pleco. Yes they well eat a dead goldfish but not a live healthy one. So if you want one go for it.

Your babies are so cute. Glad you at least have a store to go to here. Here I have to drive 45 min. to give any fish up and then only get a trade ins no cash.

I thought that's for goldfish only.:unsure:

really? now i'm unsure :unsure: why'd you do that mr lupin? :blink:

No koko stick yet, hun?:booty:))

I just thought the medal is for goldfish unless I am mistaken since Koko never gave one for breeding tropicals as far as I can remember.

Stakos - dont be afraid to put BNs with your goldfish. They are a really placid pleco - the horror stories you have heard are probably about other types of plecos. BNs can go with pretty much any freshwater fish. They are so interesting to watch and add an extra point of interest to the tank. My female is very friendly and always comes up to say hello. My male is more shy.

I'm not sure they go well with snails though... Maybe someone can confirm this?

The BN plecos are fine with any snails except for those that need algae continuously particularly nerites. Nerites can't live without algae otherwise they'll starve to death so this is a direct competition between them unless you have a constant supply of algae anyway. Apple snails are absolutely fine with these plecos.

And I quite agree that BN plecos are not an issue with goldfish.

Trinket - it might be possible yours were L-144s which are a yellow coloured BN, rather than true albino. Easy to tell by the eyes. Did they have red eyes or black eyes? It is said there are 2 types of true albino BNs - a golden albino without patterns or a lighter one (like mine) with patterns. Although, my adult male is turning more of a golden colour these days, he didnt turn gold until he matured... so albino genetics is a bit iffy... but the red eyes are a giveaway of true albino!

oh yes they have red eyes :D That was a main attraction feature for me :). I really didnt know till now that they came in white but it makes absolute sense since albinos lack chlorophyll and therefore pigmentation. Very interesting!

one of my gold/red eye baby plecs:

P1030499.jpg

I'm fascinated to see your white babies! They are sooo cute. I would like to see the parents pics too:)

Wow... that really is yellow/gold! :o

Im fascinated by yours too LOL... Do you have any more pics?

This is mum in the main tank... with one of her babies. I posted in another thread about this baby - the story is I removed all the fry from one of my earlier batches after they had hatched, then several weeks later whilst doing a water change this little baby appeared! I had no idea he was in there for weeks! Once I discovered him, I would only see him every now and then - sometimes I wouldnt see him for a week or too and would think he was eaten - but then he'd show up again! Now he is a little bigger, he is out and about all the time :)

07102010168.jpg

Mum again...

07102010172-1.jpg

As usual, my redcap wanted in on the action! :lol1

07102010171.jpg

And this is daddy with a couple of the larger babies - you can see he's more of a yellowish colour compared to the others - but still nothing like yours!

07102010173.jpg

And dad peeking through his castle window... He was only just getting his bristles when I got him. He still doesnt have the forked bristes... I wonder if he ever will?

01102010102.jpg

They are so pretty. I love how they have different looks and personalities. I find the bristles hilarious for some reason. The females dont get them huh. Your parent plecs are definitely paler and more white than my bunch. Really, really pretty. I was trying to track down pics, I have threads in the archives with better close up shots - but cant seem to find them atm. Plenty of terrible shots like this:

P1040548.jpg

Later - I will track them down. Meanwhile you can see my Dad in my sig...both the parents (I sadly lost Mom) were/are a darker gold with red eyes. In fact, the exact same color as my albino goldfish below. And bonus gratuitous pic of her albino eyed baby :)!!

P1010276-1.jpgmybabyalbino-1.jpg

OMG!!! That's amzing Trinket!! :o I LOVE Your albino goldfish and you have babies too!! WOW!!! Congrats!! :nana

I have never seen albino goldfish before (just white ones) :) They are really cool!

The plecs are so yellow... I was at the lfs today and they had golden plecs there - looked very much like BNs, but they weren't BNs though. They were almost a bronze colour with red eyes - really interesting.

I love your yellow ones. Now I want a yellow one!!

Lol and I want a white one :rofl

Your Mamma plec is soooo gorgeous! :heart

So, are these white gold treasure babies, at least some of them, going to be lucky enough to live in the new HUGE tank :yeah:

LOL Trinket... maybe we should swap!! :D

I probably will put the bigger ones in the new big tank... although I'll probably have to spend hours trying to catch them when lfs time comes hehe!!