Water Changes In Huge Tanks?

My soon-to-be husband and I have been looking at this stunning 6 foot tank for the goldies and really want to buy it. We have been to look at it 3 times already!!

Now the tank holds about 160 gallons. My current tank holds 66 gallons and I change the water going back and forth, bucket by bucket... it usually takes me about 45 minutes to do a water change.

Will I need to spend half a day doing water changes in the 160 gallon, or is there an easier way ?

We thought we might be able to set up a long hose that connects to the gravel vac and siphon the dirty water directly outside onto the grass and then just do the refill with a garden hose?

Are their any other options when doing water changes?

Also, the tank comes with an external cannister filter which would be housed in the cabinet. I have not had one of these before... are they noisy?

Apart from the cost of the tank, I am trying to consider other issues before we take the plunge!! - If we decide to get this tank, I dont want to regret it later.

Any suggestions/advice would be appreciated :)

Definitely sounds like you need to check out the Python system! There are a bunch of members here that have them and will give you great reviews! Hang in there...help is on the way! ;)

Yeah, I wonder about that too. Especially with the water having the right temperature. I can theoretically fill my 55 gallon with the garden hose, but the water temperature will be different. The last time it was way warmer because of the sun, so I had to get a bowl full of ice cubes to counteract the rise in temperature. The other way around I'd have to heat up some large cup of water in the microwave and carefully add it to not have the temperature drop too much.

• Supporter

hi migaloo! congratulations.. if you're as aussie as me, that tank is yours!!.. congratulations on your soon to be purchase!..whoot!

my 250 litre (66galls) gets a water change 2-3 times per week if i can manage it.. the way i did it was a trip down to bunnings.. i purchased this:

kitchentapattachmentexample.jpg

cost me $14 all up.. then i just purchased a hose that does not have the spiral in it to keep it from bending (a normal garden use thing)... we don't want that one, it's a pooper trap :( we want the one that has no spiraling within the hose tube, and a connector to connect it to what i've shown you.

here's what i do. when emptying the tank, i simply just attach the siphon to the garden hose and siphon the water straight out into my garden (provided the water wasn't mediacated) or straight into my kitchen sink. when filling, i just attach the two pieces i've shown you to the kitchen tap (the threading you see screws to the INSIDE of the tap), and i attach the hose with the connector.. i match the water temp and as we say "bob's your uncle!!" no buckets.. never again!..

so if you have to buy a hose, i would predict that all this set up will cost you less than $25..

best of luck,

helen

Stakos... You are a genius! :D I wish I had thought of this! I hate carrying that 20L bucket back & forth!

Ok... I'm off to Bunnings now! :yeah:

I had a look at the python system on their web site and watched their video and I really like it! (Side note: the tank in their video has way too much gravel LOL) But Stakos' method is like a great simplified and inexpensive DIY version of the python! I am going to try it with my 66 gallon!

This is the tank we are looking at. Its the 1800 version in chocolate wood (will match our furniture ;) ).

The one we have been looking at in the shop has eight T5 tubes - but the specs on the web site says it only has 4... although its a UK sight so might be different specs in Oz.

http://www.aquaone.co.uk/aquience_r.php

I hope that one soon day I can make a new thread with called "Pics of Our New 6 foot tank!" :D

Oh... and about the cannister filters.... can anyone tell me if they're noisy? Easy to clean?

The guy who owns the shop said the filter has a shut-off valve. You just close it off and take the whole filter out of the cabinet for cleaning... sounds simple enough. The filter was packaged in a box inside the tank so couldnt really check it out properly.

• Supporter

i got jebo canister filters and a jebo UV sterilizer.. they are so quiet - and in australia, so affordable too, but when i get my 6 footer, i may look at something different provided that the pricing is right... i still won't rule jebo out though, i've had jebo filters for years and never had a problem... all the pads are readily available from most stores and this makes it convenient for me.

i guess you need to look in your area to see what is the most common and practical filters available and also ensure that their consumables are affordable as well. ie, there was an italian brand UV sterilizer, quite nifty looking, big price on product and huge price on replacement globe. the jebo was $100 and the globes are like $15 to replace every 12 months.. with the italian brand, it was $270 to buy and the globes were $45 a pop to replace. my jebo works a treat.. there will be other brands in qld that are competitive in pricing, this does not mean they're not a good product. we don't always need to listen to the jibber jabber a sales person dishes out to us.

my filters are somewhat bothersome to clean, but they all are from what i hear.

happy shopping.. i looooove shopping for new tanks and accessories.. i just looooove shopping.. :rolleyes:

• Supporter

oh, and a reply to the python topic that i forgot to press post to earlier.. LOL

i was lookin for the python system for some time too.. problem is, there aren't any :( none here that i could put my hands on anyhow.. perhaps one day, when you have your 6footer and i have mine, and i think there are others here in Oz that have been looking too, we can do a bulk purchase from america and save on product cost and shipping?

i think this sounds like a good suggestion.. only problem is parts & service.. when the thing broke down, needs a service.. what do we do then? :rolleyes:

:whatjust: i think i've just talked myself outta a python again :blink:

I live in an apartment 2 storeys up. So I decided one day to buy a 30' garden hose, 1/2" diameter, and attached it to my gravel vac (which has a hand pump attached). Fits like a glove. Nowadays I just throw the hose end out of the window, it'll just about reach the garden on the ground floor. The hose is clamped to the window of my apartment so it doesn't completely get chucked out. I then vacuum as normal, it just takes a bit more pumping to get the gravel vac started. Once it starts, there's 25' of siphon level difference, so the vacuum seems a bit more powerful (would it, really? or is is dependent on the diameter of the hose involved?) and it works like magic. Takes 5 minutes to remove 40% of a 29g tank.

I love my python!!! :heart :heart :heart my 85gal gets done quite fast with it!

I also love my canisters - they take some time to clean but they are VERY silent! Some brands more than others. Just watch out with the gallons per hour ratings. I have 3canisters in my 85Gal and will have 5 in my 120Gal. I still go by the 10x filtration rule with canisters.

Thanks for the feedback!

Captain Findus.... FIVE filters!! That's a scary thought!! :yikes

I had a look on ebay for the python.... the python itself is not too bad price-wise.... but the postage to Oz is what kills it - its MORE than the cost of the Python! Haha... perhaps Stakos & I could start up an Australian Python Distributer business!! Im sure there would be a high demand for them here!

J0shua - I hope you're careful not to hit your downstairs neighbors on the head when you throw the hose down to the ground floor!! :teehee As for it being more powerful, I'd say it would have to do more with diameter. I recently bought a larger/thicker gravel vac and its way more powerful than my narrower one - hose is about the same length.

Ok... I feel more at ease about the water changes now and the filter noise factor. I plan to try and implement stakos' tap fitting method since the python is not readily available here. If it were soley up to me - I would go get that aquarium tommorrow... now I just need to convince OH. He wants it too - but hasn't fully committed to it yet! :rolleyes:

We just bought a 110 gallon tank and are getting a python. I can't face that many buckets! However, I do know of people who've created their own homemade versions like Stakos', and they work fine. One thing to be very cautious about when you're doing water changes is to always watch the siphon to ensure your fish don't get sucked in..they can be injured or killed very easily.

How are you guys solving the problem with the temperature difference, especially for large water changes? Lets say you got a 160gallon tank and need to do a 30% water change. That means you have to have at least 50 gallons of water with the right temperature. Sure, you can just have it sit in the same room and automatically adjust to room temperature which is the same as the tank (unless you got a heater in the tank). But really? Do you have the room for that?

Is there a quick fix?

• Admin

One way for me to match my temp from my tank and my tap water, is when you turn it on in the tank, if the temp is off you see wavey water in the tank, just turn up the heat to where you dont see it anymore, :)

Oh yeah that's right. I was only thinking about the garden hose, but not about the tap. I really should get one of those. Not that it is too much work for me to walk back and forth to change the water of my tanks since the door to the back yard is in our living room where the tanks are; but because I am AWFUL when it comes to not spilling water. I always have the buckets with the old water overflow and then wet carpet.

The python would make it so much drier.

Especially with the tropical tank, because the floor in front of the cabinet it is my dog's favorite sleeping spot and I hate dripping water on her. She is 15, practically deaf and half blind and gets startled so easily.

• Supporter

How are you guys solving the problem with the temperature difference, especially for large water changes? Lets say you got a 160gallon tank and need to do a 30% water change. That means you have to have at least 50 gallons of water with the right temperature. Sure, you can just have it sit in the same room and automatically adjust to room temperature which is the same as the tank (unless you got a heater in the tank). But really? Do you have the room for that?

Is there a quick fix?

i just measured the temp that comes out of the tap and use prime to settle the water.. once i measured the correct temp from the tap, i marked the tap so that i know where the tap handle needs to be for the future waterchanges..

I built my own water change system . both warm and cold water are tied into water delivey system to allow temperature regulation. large active carbon filter inline for chlorine removal. valves provide for water waste direct to toilet when using it as syphon. this works well and is easy to construct and an absolute for multiple water change requirements. Pictured is pipes connected to hot and cold water supply and lowere part with carbon filter, valves to direct flow to waste via white hose and to tank via greenhose.

waterfilterpipe.jpg

waterfilter.jpg

• Supporter

I built my own water change system . both warm and cold water are tied into water delivey system to allow temperature regulation. large active carbon filter inline for chlorine removal. valves provide for water waste direct to toilet when using it as syphon. this works well and is easy to construct and an absolute for multiple water change requirements. Pictured is pipes connected to hot and cold water supply and lowere part with carbon filter, valves to direct flow to waste via white hose and to tank via greenhose.

waterfilterpipe.jpg

waterfilter.jpg

uuuummm sweetness, when you decide to visit australia, would you mind popping over to melbourne? i would like the same thing.. i would be forever grateful :bingo:

• Supporter

Is Melborne where they have the F1 Grand prix race?

my apartment overlooks the formula one grand prix and the entire albert park race track :bingo: . we purchsed there for that same reason.,. we are motorsport addicts and race as amatures :heart . both racecars and motorbikes. you will enjoy your time here in march during grand prix season whilst you install me that contraption you displayed here!.. :exactly