Wen Injury

mikroll

3 days ago several oranda were recovered from outdoor summer pond and moved into house aquarium for winter. 48 hours later this redcap female has an auto trim of her wens and with a massive injury to most of her head growths. I did not actualy observe how this occured. tankmates? self inflicted? or what?

She now is isolated and is being treated to prevent infection. Pictured are the pond ,the day after in the aquarium (where we see no head damages. Then her head growth damage next day (today). (White seen on head is part of antibiotic treatment.)

P1070195.jpg

P1070197.jpg

P1070252.jpg

Poor thing. Was this immediately the day after? What size tank is she in, and what are the water params? I would at 0.1% salt to help urge the wound to heal faster. That would be 1 teaspoon of aquarium salt per gallon. Is she still eating and what anti-biotic treatment is being used?

It looks like the other fish were probably picking at her and it could indicate she was already not feeling well. How are the other fish doing?

Edited by Haruka

imediately the day after? What size tank is she in, and what are the water params? I would at 0.1% salt to help urge the wound to heal faster. That would be 1 teaspoon of aquarium salt per gallon. Is she still eating and what anti-biotic treatment is being used?

It looks like the other fish were probably picking at her and it could indicate she was already not feeling well. How are the other fish doing?

injury photo is shortly after .

currently located in a 50 liter aquarium.

not currently salted.

eats fine

30 minute bath enrofloxacin

direct on wound dusted Streptosil ( solfatiazolo + neomicina solfato)

This will be repeated if necessary tonight or tomorrow.

All other fish act OK.

Note. they were at the begining of a prazi treatment when this happen. that was suspended , and all water changed. When this is resolved the prazi treatment will be resumed.

oh poverina!

I think salt alone is enough. you can even dose it up to 0.3% - 3grams per liter.

It looks a bit like something that happened to one of Susan's fish - in her case the other fish munched her :(

The other fish all have 60-70liters of water each in the tank right? Because over crowding could cause this.

Hi Captain ,

Thank you for your views and yes poverina as she has to be pumped up to breed soon.

Salt is normaly my favorite chemical of choice for most problems. But with this thing I have to worry about infection and open? wound thus continue to use streptosil.

The other fish do not have 60- 70 liters each. Yes overcrowding can cause many things and ofcourse requires very close water managment.

• 2 weeks later...

wen injury recovery update.one week

wen headgrowth is filling in nicely, no sign of any infection which can follow an injury of this kind. prazi parasite prevention treatment restarted yesterday and fish is back on a hi pump up diet. She should be ready to rejoin main family soon.

P1070372.jpg