Wet & Dry Filters?

I was reading the Drs.Foster and Smith Catalogue (OMG I love it!) - it said on one 'wet/dry' filter that it decomposes 73% faster the ammonia and 67% faster nitrites. is this true?

The filter media is kept wet by water trickling over it,but not submerged.The nitrifying bacteria is able to get a better oxygen supply than those that are submerged,making for a very healthy bacteria bed.There is one example in the DIY section.

I was reading the Drs.Foster and Smith Catalogue (OMG I love it!) - it said on one 'wet/dry' filter that it decomposes 73% faster the ammonia and 67% faster nitrites. is this true?

I've been using wed/dry filters since they came out (yes I'm that old!) and yes they are that good. There are many types of wet/dry filters, and the classic one involves what is called a "sump", which is in effect a small tank under your tank...I don't use these anymore as I am very lazy! I have one of these on my 125 http://www.aquariumguys.com/eheimwetdry.html along with 3 HOB filters for mechanical filtration...I love my eheim wet/dry, its possible the quietest and easiest filter i have ever owned...one drawback on wet/dry filters (if you can call it a drawback) is that they are only biological filtration...

Oh this is getting me very excited! The eheim is the only one I could probably get here - I would add it to my other canister for extra bio filtration. If you say it is THAT good :))

Wet/dry system are definitely good. My DIY one just fully cycled and I never had any trace of Ammonia and Nitrite since then.

Not really sure of the Eheim wet/dry if it is really as good as it is actually a sealed canister with an oxygenator tube at the side. Since it is sealed, oxygen intake may be limited or maybe I am wrong. I actually saw a video of it leaking at the joint to the oxygenator on youtube. It's kinda fragile. Do a search on Eheim 2229 on youtube for more details.

:doh11: :doh11: :doh11:

I will go and check at the store where I get my stuff - the guy knows lots and apparently one filter of eheim they took out of their line a few years ago as it wasn't working well - I don't know which yet. But Deahttub seems to swear on it! :D

:doh11: :doh11: :doh11:

I will go and check at the store where I get my stuff - the guy knows lots and apparently one filter of eheim they took out of their line a few years ago as it wasn't working well - I don't know which yet. But Deahttub seems to swear on it! :D

Absoloutely love my eheim.....I have never had any problems with mine and I have had it running for 2 years.....As for being fragile? I haven't seen that on mine whatsoever, its not like I wrestle with it ! I clean it every 3 months or so, and have zero leaks or breakage....if you can afford it don't hesitate you will love it....

I printed out the info sheet and will ask if I can order it! I don't mind if it doesn't have mechanical filtration, I have the other canisters doing that. :)

I printed out the info sheet and will ask if I can order it! I don't mind if it doesn't have mechanical filtration, I have the other canisters doing that. :)

If you do your reasearch you can get it more reasonable....i think i got mine from Pets*art for free shipping and 50.00 off....but that was 2 years ago...

I love the sump wet/dry filters. Right now on a 65 gallon tank, I have a 5 gallon bin of bioballs in the "trickle" area of the filter, then six of the large, AquaClear sponges in the sump, along with several pounds of Eheim Biospheres. Talk about biofiltration! I totally agree that these filters are not good for mechanical filtration. My tank has a built in skimmer so only what is floating on the water, which is nothing, is skimmed. I have two, HOB filters with uptake tubes extended to the floor of the tank for mechanical filtration. I also have the inlets of the wet dry angled so as to "sweep" the corner of the tank next to the overflow/skimmer, so debris is moved toward the HOB uptakes.

So that was the one that they don't carry anymore because too many were having issues with their syphon part of the filter (???) - he will call eheim and check if that has been fixed etc. I would build a Sump but I don't have the space under the tank with all the canisters. And it seems complicated to DY.

So that was the one that they don't carry anymore because too many were having issues with their syphon part of the filter (???) - he will call eheim and check if that has been fixed etc. I would build a Sump but I don't have the space under the tank with all the canisters. And it seems complicated to DY.

not sure if they carry it or not....one major benefit is that you dont hear the eheim at all.....if noise bothers you dont get a sump wet/dry the trickle could drive you nuts!