Sign in to follow this  
ashv20

Looking After Reasonably Young Goldfish?

I purchased today a baby pearscale, I'm not sure how old he is, but he's about 6cms long.

I was just wondering if there is anything specific I should do? The lady at the pet store just told me to feed him normally.

Sorry if this is in the wrong section.

oh good luck! :) they are so delicate, but real cute! your tank is totally cycled right? these guys cannot go through cycling.

I have like half of my media from my cycled tank in the filter, but I am testing the water every day...like I said, an impulsive buy...I was thinking of buying one of those containers you stick on the side of a big tank? Do you think that would be ok if the water got a bit too hectic?

I have two anubias in with him as well.

I would not mix him with the other two until you are totally sure he is healthy :)

I would not mix him with the other two until you are totally sure he is healthy :)

Yup, I will leave him in the tank for about 3 weeks then look at attaching a small breeder box of the sort for him.

Hope he grows fast!

edit: I think he's about 3, 4 or 5 months old.

Edited by ashv20

Mostly I would suggest keeping the water as clean as possible and making sure you have something to keep the temperature at a level, mine prefer around 25 degrees C. Otherwise my pearlscale is no hassle and I did as you did with setting up a QT as I got her and she was fine, she was just happy to have the space! Oh and make sure the pellets sink as the floating type are a bit too airy for them and can give floaty problems (though I've never had any).

Yikes! I realized I posted this in the wrong thread (your other thread). So much for the back button on my keyboard returning to previous pages.

1. Feed multiple small meals a day. 5-6 times a day will do it. They're not supposed to gorge large meals in a day so try to be patient and let him eat what he can eat right without gorging too much that he looks suddenly bloated. This will only trigger him to float. Pearlies are prone to floaty issues after all. The more elongated they are, the better for them.

2. Leave blanched leafy veggies round the clock. They usually outlast 24 hours as they don't rot quickly. I'd just remove the excess after 24 hours anyway.

3. Water changes, water changes. Doing it daily will benefit your fish a lot.

4. Keep temperature steady at 76-78 degrees Fahrenheit and keep water well aerated.

5. Extend quarantine period if you don't plan to treat yet.

Edited by Lupin

Yikes! I realized I posted this in the wrong thread (your other thread). So much for the back button on my keyboard returning to previous pages.

1. Feed multiple small meals a day. 5-6 times a day will do it. They're not supposed to gorge large meals in a day so try to be patient and let him eat what he can eat right without gorging too much that he looks suddenly bloated. This will only trigger him to float. Pearlies are prone to floaty issues after all. The more elongated they are, the better for them.

2. Leave blanched leafy veggies round the clock. They usually outlast 24 hours as they don't rot quickly. I'd just remove the excess after 24 hours anyway.

3. Water changes, water changes. Doing it daily will benefit your fish a lot.

4. Keep temperature steady at 76-78 degrees Fahrenheit and keep water well aerated.

5. Extend quarantine period if you don't plan to treat yet.

Thanks guys; that's great about the food, I think I will do about 25-50% water changes daily also.

As for temperature, I live in an extremely tropical climate and heating generally isn't needed - water temp here is naturally 75-78 as at the moment temps are getting to 83-84 degrees.

I fed him at intervals this afternoon - some crushed peas and later in the evening some of the pellets I feed my older goldies; I soak the pellets for the other goldies anyway. Once crushed they float to the bottom.

Any idea how long until they get to a decent size?

Thanks again!

With any young fish it takes them ages to get to a large size, especially as we, unlike some breeders, don't feed them like ten times a day and a massively high protein diet. Charlie is now maybe three inches long including tail and I've had her since January... would say she's grown a lot and you have to remember she had to regrow her fins too... so in that time period she's probably doubled in diameter and grown fins and a wen too!

I agree. So far I haven't had any crazy growths. I think it depends greatly on the genes. But how are your 2 other goldies? I don't think it would be a huge issue to put her with them - they aren't HUGE? My first fish Penelope was 5inches and she had 2 buddies of 1.5 :) They got along real good.

I agree. So far I haven't had any crazy growths. I think it depends greatly on the genes. But how are your 2 other goldies? I don't think it would be a huge issue to put her with them - they aren't HUGE? My first fish Penelope was 5inches and she had 2 buddies of 1.5 :) They got along real good.

Wellll compared to them my telescope is getting pretty big haha since moving into the big tank; the lady at store advised against it, but they are both friendly fish; Hoover is incredibly docile and when I added Houdini my fantail he didn't care, that was even in the 5 gallon.

I think I am more worried about the current in the main tank, the other two can handle it but being small and a pearlscale worries me.

Gotta QT for a good amount of time so I'll see as we go along. I checked most of the goldie tanks and they were all in pretty good health.

EDIT: Hoover is about 4 inches, head to tail and the other just a little smaller and the pearl scale perhaps 1.5 inches..

Edited by ashv20