Soft Water And Where To Find Crushed Coral

Ok so my water levels are pretty good when it comes to pH, NO2 and NO3. I am using the API 5 in 1 Aquarium Test Strips.

pH shows usually 7.0, NO2 0 and NO3 also 0, occasionally slightly above.

I have to use PH UP stuff though to keep it there, otherwise it will drop down to 6.5

What worries me is the GH and KH. The highest GH I ever got was maybe 80, usually it is around 60. KH 80.

I haven't found Crushed Coral yet, I'll try to bother one of the Pet$mart employees again next time I go there.

So far I have been using cuttlefish bone instead, which helps a little. I keep scratching on that thing every other day to get more minerals into the water, and leave the piece sitting on the bottom so my apple snails can nibble on it. I already lost Gary because of shell corrosion :cry1 buried him by the fence in our back yard :cry1 I don't want Lulu or Tiny Snail to share his fate, and I believe that harder water would be better for the fish as well.

I found this crushed coral on ebay, but I'm always quite reluctant buying stuff on ebay. Especially stuff that will end up inside the fish tank.

Does this seem decent? Or any other tips where to find it? Did I just miss it? Should Wally World carry it? Should Pet$mart carry it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/CaribSea-Florida-Crushed-Coral-Geo-Marine-Formula-10-/350310938093?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item519028b5ed

The ebay item you found will work fine. Aquarium shops who have a decent salt water department should have it, I would think. I don't think you'll see a drastic change in GH/KH readings by using crushed coral, but it will help keep the pH from dropping. Good luck!

The ebay item you found will work fine. Aquarium shops who have a decent salt water department should have it, I would think. I don't think you'll see a drastic change in GH/KH readings by using crushed coral, but it will help keep the pH from dropping. Good luck!

:exactly I have always had no problem getting a cup or two of crushed coral from the local salt water specifiability shop, sometimes they'll even give it away! Your pH is on the edge of being dangerous and crashing, so adding the coral is definitely something you need to do.

Fang, where do you find cuttlebone? A regular fish/pet store? If so, what department would it be in?

The bird section usually.

Yes, and you don't even need to go to a pet store. I know for sure that W-Mart carries it, and a lot of regular grocery stores do to.

The cuttlefish bone might have a weird smell to it, but that's normal. If I remember right the more it smells, the fresher it is. Or something like that.

Yes, and you don't even need to go to a pet store. I know for sure that W-Mart carries it, and a lot of regular grocery stores do to.

The cuttlefish bone might have a weird smell to it, but that's normal. If I remember right the more it smells, the fresher it is. Or something like that.

Haha.. stinky=fresh... it's that way with a lot of stuff for pets :D but I don't patronize wallyworld, I'd rather spend the extra 50 cents and know it's going toward paying a decent wage, or buying higher quality, or supporting a store that treats their employees with a decent amount of resepct instead of viewing them as comodities... ok, rant over! lol