Ph And Hardness

Alright, so I was asking some questions in another forum, and the ph/hardness of my water came up, and I'm realizing that my "normal" numbers are even lower than I thought (compared to ideal for goldies).

My tests usually read as follows:

GH: 75 or a tad higher

KH: 40ish

pH: 6.8 or a bit lower

Numbers for tap water are even lower, some of them may be lower than the test is capable of reading... Please keep in mind that the test kit I'm using is strips... I'm buying the drops (now that I know better) next week when I go to get supplies for setting up the new tank.

I keep a couple CHUNKS of "dead" coral in the tank to help raise those numbers because I already knew that they were low from the tap. I didn't realize HOW low until today, and I'm looking for some EASY and worry-free ways to raise them. If possible, I'd like to make it something I can do once, and leave alone for a while (like coral, but if that's not going to do enough, I need to know) since this tank will, at some point, be under my parents' care for most of a two-year period. If I absolutely have to, I'll go with something that gets added during w/c, but I'd like to avoid those until I know that easier solutions will work...

• Admin

i know your pain hun, Im in hillsboro and my ph with out buff it up was.. 6.9 and the KH was 50... So I now add it to the tank once every other water change. Now my readings are 7.2 7.4 and Kh is up to 120 :o With out putting it in my tank I lost the cycle twice now cause of how soft the water can get around here.

With more rain coming the possibility its going to get softer over the winter :o

You mean it gets WORSE!?! Oh shhhtuff... that's not cool... time for some major research, then adding whetever I decide on to my list of things I MUST have for the new tank this week! Even if I have to wait for whatever it is to arrive in the mail, I gotta do something asap... Thanks Koko!

Alright... so I've been doing some research, and I'm getting a mixed message... Some places I look tell me that it's better for my fish to NOT play with my pH because the swing during w/c can stress them out (which makes sense). Other places say that being outside their "prefered" range can cause a constant level of stress. I'm not really sure what I should belive at this point. All I *know* is that they seem just fine to me in the soft/acidic water they've been kept in since I got them...

Ahh, thanks Koko. I'll def do something about it then... I may wait until after the new tank cycles though, most of my reading also tells me that ammonia is less toxic in acidic water, and since I'm cycling with fish, that'd be a good thing.

I just moved to a house with a water softener. I have the same problem and thought coral would be good but ill check up on this buff it up stuff. We can help each other out. Horray for teamwork.

Hi, yea, I'm in Seattle;) I mix Onyx Sand (http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/OnyxSand.html) in my substrate, small handful of crushed coral in the filter, usually have a Wonder Shell in the tank, and use a mix of Alkaline Buffer and Acid Buffer with water change. As far as the buffers go, I'm settled with a formula that works for me, but I'm always contemplating whether I want to drop them...

edit: But the trick with buffers is that you mix up and down buffers to achieve appropriate and stable pH.

Edited by yukoandk