Possible Gill Flukes?

marcus

hi everyone i have a question about my ranchu

after feeding he gasps for air (surface and air from the airataor) and he is holding it in him and "chewing" it before spitting it out. i noticed he is the only one doing it, also sometimes he rams himself in the glass

i searched the internet and the closes thing i got was gill flukes.

iam not sure about this so im asking people who are "PROS" at this. TIA

Note: parameters are tolerable 0am 0 10 and they are 4 fishes, currently housed in a 20+ tank waiting for my 4ft tank.

my tank is cycled

Marcus, my oranda does the exact same thing, surfaces, gulps, chews and spits. Immediately after eating. I sometimes see him rolling a bubble of air in his mouth. Tonight's poo (for a 1" bodylength fish) has 2cm of solid poo followed by a big air bubble and a thinner strand of poo.

He's just finished week 4 of PraziPro.

And I have no idea why he does it, maybe it's to balance out buoyancy.

[*]Ammonia Level 0ppm

[*]Nitrite Level 0ppm

[*]Nitrate level 10ppm

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? nah

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? n/a

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API master test kit

[*]Water temperature? 25C

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 20+ gallon been running for a month and a half now

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? 2 ft ohf (local brand)

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? i do 10% 3 times a week

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 4, 3 1.5inch guesstimate. 1 1-inch

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? anti clorine

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? Hikari lion head (presoak) 3 times a day

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? nope

[*]Any medications added to the tank? nope

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? nope not to the naked eye maybe?

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? chewing air and ramming its head in the glass

• Supporter

marcus,

the oranda in my sig is 9.5" . he's a big boy.. the behaviour you mentions where it concerns gulping the bubbles straight from the spray bar, chewing them and then spitting them out (sometimes even releasing them from his gills) is typical of sir loyn's behaviour.. i too don't know why he does it.. but that makes 3 of us with the same problem.. so perhaps oranda's like bubbles? they are quite the inquisitive fish..

my oranda however does not ram himself into the glass.. this could be flukes. have you treated with prazi before?

sir loyn had experienced swim bladder disorder many times and i thought it was due to the bubbles. i found that it is infact due to the hikari lion head food. have you tried switching his food to see if the behaviour changes?

i will PM a mod to see if they can stop by and assist you.

thank you for answering all the questions required

• Supporter

he's a regular bubble butt for bubbles :) LOL.. i just expanded my fish family to include a ranchu.. never thought i'd ever own one to be honest, but i found him toooooo irresistable.. his name is snag, he's 3.5 inches bottom right in my sig. do you have any pics to share of your fish whilst we wait for a mod to drop by?, i've PM'd the only one on right now.

yes its adorable <3. took me ages to find a white ranchu

i really wanted a snow white ranchu but cant find one atm so i got this white tancho one

img_1327.JPG

left to right Chubs Chuba and Makingkoy

• Supporter

oh marcus, they're all so cute. really.. i love them to bits.. great selection.. i have a telescope butterfly, all silver with red fins and some red patches on her tail, "pork chop" lol. when i saw snag, he is the same colour combo as pork chop.. would you blelieve it?? their markings are so similar, they even have the same lipstick :blink: i had a thread on them.. here's mine with pork chop:

snagporkchop.jpg

woah freakishly cool. my little ranchu is kinda a combination of the 2 big ones because of the orange tail and red patch in the head.. (or is it just me) believe it or not my fishes were just given to me by a friend of my uncle. he really inspired me in fish keeping because he willingly gave it to me to motivate me in this hobby. im kinda excited right now, because tomorrow i can pick up my new 4ft tank :D

• Supporter

nah.. it's not just you. we're all kuckoo for our fish here and we notice the little things that make all the differences where others might say.. hmmm, they're just fish!! LOL..

lets see if i can find someone else to PM that may have time to stop by.. the prob to me doesn't seem too severe, so perhaps a more experienced member than myself..

:iwill

oh you dont have to do that. il be sleeping in a few. its 11:53 pm here right now :P

i noticed that you have 2 black moors

heres my blackmoor img_1335.JPG

unfortunately hes blind, so i named him Kaname Tousen a blind anime character from bleach.

oh cute fishies!!! :heart

some of my fish do the gulping after eating too. they stress me out of my mind about it!

have you treated them with Prazi recently? It never really hurts to do a couple of rounds. Just to be on the safe side :)

• Supporter

aaawww he's so sweet.. i love moors.. they're so graceful.. he looks to be as small as my david. when i got david he was approx 3 cms, and in 3 months, he's grown another 2 cms.. he's now 2 inches! still so tiny compared to the beasts he shares a tank with.. but you know, he's the bravest little thing, really charming.. he even sleeps amongst them.

it's 2am here now and i'm heading off to bed too.. check back in the morning. someone's bound to have offered information that may be helpful to your fish.. it was nice chatting.. goodluck :)

:k045:

Thank you Captain Findus Goldfish, i never tried Prazi, i dont know if its available in my country. but i saw clout in a LFS it treats gill flukes too

im not sure if its good thou~

p.s. DR HOUSE IS THE COOLEST NAME EVER IMA BUY A NEW FISH AND NAME IT DR HOUSE TOO :P

hehehe Dr.House is funny - but she turned out to be a girl :whatjust:

can you order the Prazi online maybe? it is really the best product because it is really mild and it doesn't affect the biological filter.

the ingredient is Praziquantel - look for anything that has it pure - sometimes they come in pill version.

id love to try prazi but i cant seem to find one,(il try harder to find some)

im not even sure if its gill flukes, maybe its just his personality or behavior? lol

and only the DOH carry pure parzi for human flukes. but most local pet store suggests clout.

id try to medicate my pet if i confirmed that its flukes, but id just observe right now

usually you treat flukes every time you get a new fish. most fish carry them :) try at a vet - the have them for dogs etc. then we will help you figure out the dosage.

Helen why would I Koko Stick you?!?!?! :rofl :rofl

yes but iv been to most of out local forums and most of them said either go to a vet and buy it for a fortune or use clout..

Clout is a highly effective broad spectrum treatment that works against external parasites such as anchor worms, fish lice, Ick, leeches, gill flukes, skin flukes and hexamita.

cost more or less 50 cents a tablet

or jungle parasite clear which cost more or less 70 cents a tablet :P

btw im 18 so its hard for me to buy expensive stuff :krazy:

Edited by marcus

The only advice I have is moving them to that bigger tank asap. Until then start doing daily 50% water changes. Other then that sounds like your doing the right thing.

Also when it comes to prazi medication I have yet to find anything that says prazi on the front of it in my area. However I did find one that had it in the medication by reading the back to see what was in the bottle. lol Maybe you can find it that way?

Let us know how it is going.

Hidr, i checked a few LFS today and no luck, the best medication that is used here is Clout

its kinda pricey it costs 70 cents a tablet in a LFS. i just got my new 4ft tank just this morning. only problem now is the rack :rofl

Edited by marcus