Agressive Fish!

Whirlwind

It's been a long, -long-, time since I've posted here and life has been pretty hectic, but it's a little comforting to see this familiar site again, so hello to everyone!

I've got a problem now, though. For the past few years, I've kept a 55 gallon tank, and the amount of fish in it a few days ago were three. One Common, one Comet, and one Black Moor. The first two are roughly five years old while the latter is about four. It's a bad combination, I do know this, but the Black Moor was never given too much trouble from the others! Right now, I'm in college, so the fish are at home for my family to keep watch off.

A few weeks ago, I left for home and came back to see my favorite fish, my Comet, lying on the ground at a tilted angle breathing heavily. I was told that the common was at fault and that he was apparently ramming my Comet against the class prior; this seemed to have been going on for a good bit. Now, my Common had always been the "Alpha-Male" aggressive-esque one, and he did something like this to my Comet once before when he was injured, but not to the point of such harm! It didn't seem like I could do anything for him, though I did whatever I could with what I had on hand ( Which wasn't much). He died the next day.

Now, flash-forward to today. I got called and I've been told that my Common is now terrorizing my Black Moor, who I believe to be blind in one eye. I've ordered a divider for the family and here's hoping it gets there soon, but what could be the cause of his aggression?! I mean, it's always been there, but this is pushing it and I'm worried!

I'm not nearby to test the water either, but I always had P.H leaning towards the acidic side. (Nothing too extreme) My tap water's always been alkaline though!

My tap water -also- has slight traces of ammonia, so getting rid of it in my tank has been near impossible. So there's always around .25, which I know is really bad. : <

Nitrite and Nitrate, I've never had problems with.

I've tried things like bacteria to get a good cycle going, but to no avail.

...I hope this wasn't too much of a text wall either. And thank you! : <

Perhaps you can try prime to get rid of the ammonia in the tap. It will neutralize and bind it quite well as well as nitrite and nitrate. Do you know if your fish are male and female?

Do you know the actual gender of your black moor? Sounds like a female to me? I'd be certain first about the gender because from the comet vs. common scenario, this seems typical for males to bang the females constantly. Have they spawned before? This is what is making me curious about the moor. I am wondering if it's a female. Does the common "sniff" on its butt?

As for your water quality issues, what test kit do you use? If you have issues with pH falling down, I'd test the KH and GH and in the meantime, place a bowl or two of crushed corals inside the tank to help stabilize the pH.

Perhaps you can try prime to get rid of the ammonia in the tap. It will neutralize and bind it quite well as well as nitrite and nitrate. Do you know if your fish are male and female?

Oh, I forgot to mention! I -do- use Prime! Thank you, though!

Do you know the actual gender of your black moor? Sounds like a female to me? I'd be certain first about the gender because from the comet vs. common scenario, this seems typical for males to bang the females constantly. Have they spawned before? This is what is making me curious about the moor. I am wondering if it's a female. Does the common "sniff" on its butt?

As for your water quality issues, what test kit do you use? If you have issues with pH falling down, I'd test the KH and GH and in the meantime, place a bowl or two of crushed corals inside the tank to help stabilize the pH

And for this, well. I do not know the actual gender of the Black Moor, and I thought about mating in the past, but I was not certain. They've never spawned before to my knowledge, but he DID seem to always bump the others on their butt and push them around from the backside. I have no idea how it is at the moment, but I can definitely ask!

And I use drop kits, though I don't really know the name of them at the moment. They'd come in a yellow box for ammonia, blue for p.h, and so on, I believe. And for P.H, I did buy a P.H stabilizer from Goldfish connection a while ago, so I used to use that in the past, but I haven't used it recently!