Suggest A Stand For 55 Gallon

SandyDoss

Please suggest a stand for 55 gallon tank, this tank will be in our living room that's why I was looking for something good but within $200. I went to P'mart but the review of the 55g Amirewood was not good and in P'co also the reveiw of the tanks are not good. I am little confused. Do you guys know any website or stores in NJ that I can look for.:rolleyes:

SandyDoss

Very good idea. Cement blocks have a ridiculous level of compressive strength. Looks like something that can be put together for a few bucks, in a few minutes, and would last far far longer than any MDF stand (which really basically is regular furniture with the addition of a central column and a couple of brackets).

Make sure you check the weight raiting if you purchase one at a pet store. I had a metal stand for my 55, saw the same thing at a box pet store with a weight rating of 400lbs. So lets look at this, if you base it on 8lbs per gallon that's 440lbs your already over the limit. I ended up building a new stand.

You could also check secondhand stores, like Goodwill... they sometimes have some REALLY nice looking dresser-type furniture that might work... DEF be careful though, you want something that will hold the weight of a 55gal... because waking up to a lake INSIDE the house isn't fun! :D

Surprisingly, I found a stand capable of holding a 55 gallon aquarium at Best Buy for under $300. The stands there were far cheaper that what I saw at the pet store and much better consturction even though they were only made to hold a television under a 100 lbs.

Surprisingly, I found a stand capable of holding a 55 gallon aquarium at Best Buy for under $300. The stands there were far cheaper that what I saw at the pet store and much better consturction even though they were only made to hold a television under a 100 lbs.

If they are designed to hold a TV under 100lbs, I seriously doubt it will work for a 55 gallon tank.

If they are designed to hold a TV under 100lbs, I seriously doubt it will work for a 55 gallon tank.

I probably could have worded that better. Although it only needs to hold a 100 lb tv, the tv stand I bought is capable of holding far more. Its made out of 5 in steel pipe and there are 3 shelves made out of 1.5 in of pvc type material. It is far sturdier than the stand my tank came with, and hasn't so much let out a creak unlike the original stand. My first stand that came with my TruVu aquarium was made of wood, and you could actually see it move if you pushed on the tank. The TV stand is much better constructed and has no give what so ever. Also, unlike wood, I don't have to worry about steel or 1.5 in pvc material splitting.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 55 gallon tank as well. I went to Ikea and bought 2 dresser/book shelves for $39 each and butted them together. It looks very nice and easily holds the weight. It was by far the best choice. I can post pics if interested.

Edited by roxyjack13