npila1

[*]Ammonia Level? 0 ppm

[*]Nitrite Level? 0 ppm

[*]Nitrate level? 0-5 ppm

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 7.4

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 7.5

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops

[*]Water temperature? 75

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 20 gallons (I know it's too small, planning to upgrade), running for 2.5 months

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? Whisper/Tetra 10-30 gallons

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? 25%, twice to three times a week

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 3 (2 commons, 1 comet), about 2 inches each

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? stresscoat and stresszyme

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? progold (4 days a week), tetra flakes (once a week), freeze dried bloodworms (twice a week), peas (twice a week), cheddar cheese (once a week)

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? no

[*]Any medications added to the tank? no

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? no

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? My comet has been bottom sitting a lot the past 3-4 days and I'm very worried because she never used to do this. Her dorsal fin is also clamped most of the time she is sitting. Every once in a while she gets up and swims around and is quite active when shes not sitting (especially during feeding time), but then she goes back to the corner and sits. I also just realized two of them are yawning. Usually after feeding, they go to the surface of the water and gulp air... I wasn't sure whether this was normal. They all have a great appetite and there are no marks, injuries on them.

Please help because I have no idea what could be going on :( I did a large water change tomorrow hoping it would help but nothing changed...

Edited by npila1

I ordered prazipro a long time ago and I'm still waiting for it to come. I added melafix 2.5 months ago because of a red sore on the comet and that went away immediately. I also did a salt treatment at 0.3% for about 10 days after upgrading to this 20 gallon tank.

If it's flukes, will salt help?

Here at DrsFosterSmith they have prazi. And here at Thatfishplace prazi I've ordered from them before and they're very good. :)

Or you can order prazi off of goldfish connection.

You can do daily water changes for them.

Edited by Haruka

If they're eating well just keep feeding them what you're feeding. But cut out the flakes period. They just have no nutrional value at all and it makes them gulp air. Sinking pellets and frozen foods and the peas are your best bet for a healthy diet :D

Ok sounds good. I just read that quick cure can be used for flukes too. I happen to have an unopened quick cure bottle for ich emergencies. Do you think I should try that or wait for prazi pro?

Don't use those. Those are way too harsh and usually have additives that just make things worse or can stress your fish out more. I would wait for the prazi because it is much more gentle and works a lot better.

That's the impression I had about quick cure, I'm just very worried it may be too late by the time prazi comes :((((( (it's supposed to be here on tuesday morning)

I think they will be ok until tuesday morning. I would keep up with the water changes and maybe add 0.1% salt to help with their breathing. That will be 1 teaspoon per gallon. You're doing very well! I hope they can hang on for you.

I think they will be ok until tuesday morning. I would keep up with the water changes and maybe add 0.1% salt to help with their breathing. That will be 1 teaspoon per gallon. You're doing very well! I hope they can hang on for you.

Thanks for the tip. I remember reading that salt makes prazi ineffective. Will I have to do a huge water change before adding prazi pro?

I honestly don't believe that it does do that because that wouldnt make sense with what it says on the bottle, "There are no medical contradictions" But. do the water change to be on the safe side so you'll start out with clean water and the salt will be ineffective to the flukes.

Thanks for the tip Joshua!

During the prazi treatment, should I do anything else to help with their recovery (for example, antibiotic food)?

Edited by npila1