What Now?

shellbell4ever

OK I have no idea what I am getting myself into but I want to keep it as simple as possable ...so far just live rock and live sand/crushed coral and some shells from Florida me and My Mom gathered :) I'm thinking of gobies right now but still doing research 20 gallon long (nano fowlr) tank i think,

Any Suggestions welcome...the tanks still cycling so I got plenty of time (LOL)

ctmpphpdRoXZJ.jpg

ctmpphp6m04kn.jpg

Looking good shellbell. :) I can't see, what kind of filter is on your tank? You will need at least 20 lbs of live rock for a fowlr tank. This is what will help keep your water quality good. Otherwise the nitrates will be really bad. I ended up taking out all the sponges from my filters because the nitrates were always way too high. Can I ask what you are doing about your salted water, are you buying it premixed or are you mixing your own?

Lookin' good Shell! I really like the Ocellaris Clownfish. Marine fish have such awesome colors!

Hey, here's a link to Doctors Foster and Smith Live Aquaria.com...they have lots of fish for sale as well as great pics to help you pick! Can't wait to see your new setup!

LiveAquaria.com

Thanks Edith I will be on the lookout for some more live rock to start,and I am currently using my old goldfish filter right now (aquaion) Right now(what do you use in place of the sponges then??)... I am mixing my own salt water(instant ocean)So far (LOL) slowly I will be upgrading any equipment to salt water ready ,like my lighting,filter,but for cycling purposes this is a fine start (so i was told) live fish are a long way off I think right now,I'm a bit to scared with the corals as I am having a hard enough time with my freshwater plants (lol)

Thanks for the link Dennis I think i will be using their Nano guide as far as what will go into the tank...right now i'm looking into a few gobys I really like them,maybe a shrimp,snail.and crab of some sort :) of course My Grandson wants A Nemo But I think he's just going to get to big???

I may be biting off more than i can chew,maybe I should have started with a brackish tank first ;)

So after a visit to my favorite local aquarium pet shop (Fishtopia) I have decided to start off with a fish only marine tank, with live rock added later as I go, then followed by corals possably :) I feel better starting out simple ...with out all the added equipment untill i actually need it :) my local guy has promised to help me along the way :) After I told him what I have so far and He checked my water He suggested to start off with A Yellow Tail Damsel :):)

So here's my Newest Baby :)

ctmpphpYgaNul.jpg

ctmpphpIoE4wc.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

Thanks Edith I will be on the lookout for some more live rock to start,and I am currently using my old goldfish filter right now (aquaion) Right now(what do you use in place of the sponges then??)... I am mixing my own salt water(instant ocean)So far (LOL) slowly I will be upgrading any equipment to salt water ready ,like my lighting,filter,but for cycling purposes this is a fine start (so i was told) live fish are a long way off I think right now,I'm a bit to scared with the corals as I am having a hard enough time with my freshwater plants (lol)

Thanks for the link Dennis I think i will be using their Nano guide as far as what will go into the tank...right now i'm looking into a few gobys I really like them,maybe a shrimp,snail.and crab of some sort :) of course My Grandson wants A Nemo But I think he's just going to get to big???

I may be biting off more than i can chew,maybe I should have started with a brackish tank first ;)

Sorry I haven't responded earlier, but I wasn't much good for anything with Max's problems. :( About the filter I don't use any of the stuff you usually put in a filter, I buy some live rock rubble ( it is usually a lot cheaper) that's it. If it is a hang on back filter you can put some algae called Cheato in there it will eat up the nitrates.

Not to worry about easy corals like mushrooms, green star polyps and zoanthids I find them easier to care for than plants. :)

Here is another good site for info specifically for nano's: www.nano-reef.com

About the nemo for your grandson if you get a false or true percula they remain fairly small and they look almost like Nemo. ;)

I love your blue damsel, very cute. :wub:

One word of caution though, they can be very territorial and aggressive. When adding it as the first fish in an aquarium can make it claim the entire tank as its own territory and make it difficult to add any new fish to the aquarium. This is one of the least aggressive damsel species, but that doesn?t mean that it can be considered friendly.You need to have a lot of hiding spots in the aquarium, for the damsels as well as the other fish. Also be careful when you put your hand in the tank because some yellow tail damsel will bite you.

By the way it is great that you have such a good store nearby and that they can help you out, it's a rare thing, keep them. :D

Thanks everyone :) I am in love with this little guy/gal already :) and yes Edith my guy at the lps said that Damsels can be very aggressive and territorial :( but also said you can do the same thing when adding a new fish as with most fish just remove the current fish ,re arrange the tank and add the new one and old one at the same time,if it doesn't work out he assured me he would take one or the other back ;) a good back up plan I think ;) A Nemo (Looking) fish will be my next fish :) but not for a few weeks or so,then my cleaning crew,a little at a time as well as some new live rock here and there :) well see how that goes before i think about upgrading the lighting and adding corals ;) It is so exciting learning something new :)

I was thinking the Tank needed a little something... so for now I added a couple of silk plants and my Dory just loves them :) she/he is definatly the queen/king of this castle (so far ;))007.jpg

Good enough for now untill i can get some salty decorations ;) she/he seems to like them ;)

Edited by shellbell4ever

So I took a little trip to the local dumb pet shop ;) and was looking at all the cool stuff on the marine side ;) and i just want so much for my little 20 gallon ;) I know I know I won't go over board ;) anyway...my anniversary is in the beginning of October so what I'm hoping to get next is some more live rock and possibly my nemo fish :) then I will wait a few more weeks till my b-day in November and add my cleaning crew,I'm thinking a shrimp or two,a hermit crab of some sort,and maybe a starfish :) Then hopefully for Christmas I can upgrade my lighting and get a few corals and such :) this is such an exciting adventure :) I want to Thank Edith so much for her help and encouragement,I have always wanted to try SW but was so afraid,but with reading and following her posts here i got the courage to give it a try ;)

But before I go here's a few new pic's of my little baby yellow Tail damsel (Dory)

ctmpphpt43y0O.jpgctmpphppOq3QB.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

I really like your little Dory, she is a cutie. :wub::Congrats: on your first wc. I was really in a panic when I did my first one. I can't wait to see the stuff you will be adding in over the next few months. :)