Sign in to follow this  
BeavisMom62

Cycling, Sponges And Syringes

If some of these are "repeats" feel free to delete. I've seen some tips sorta like mine, but not exactly. Anyway, I hope some of these are helpful.

1. Instant cycling - This is in addition to one tip that you already have. I use the same kind filters in all five of my tanks. Aqua-Tech filters, which come with a blue "fuzzy" cartridge and also a black "plastic" biofilter cartridge. Most of my AT filters have two of each. If I am starting a new tank, or bought a new (usually bigger) filter for an existing tank - I will just remove one of each of the cartridges from an existing, cycled tank and put it in the new filter. And then put the cartridges from the new filter into the old one. Lots of good biobugs! If you have a smaller filter with only one of each kind of cartridge, no worries. See tip on sponges below!

2. Sponges.

a. I keep lots of those Aqua-Clear sponges around. Very useful. I always keep at least two, or more of these sponges stuffed into all of my filters. This way, I always have additional biobugs to help cycle a new tank/filter and also an additional "home" for bacteria in the filter. Just remove sponge from established tank filter and add it to the new filter along with the used cartridge as mentioned above. There is always at least one or more sponges still in the original filter, so even if I take a sponge and cartridges from it, there are still sponges with bacteria in there, so you don't have to worry about a mini-cycle.

b. Since I always have sponges in my filters, they are very handy to clean with, since they are a little "scrubby". I'll use one of the sponges from the filter to clean the outside of the filter where it always gets those white deposits from the water. Also useful to clean that "slime" that sometimes shows up on the outside of filters. And if the inside of the filter is real slimy, then I use the sponge to wipe the inside of the filter as well. And if you don't have an algae scrubber, you can use the sponge to wipe the water line at the top of the tank.

c. If you have fish (or in my case frogs) that don't like alot of water current, then I'll stuff some sponge where the water comes out of the filter to break up the water flow so its not so stronge.

d. If you have little fish that are susceptible to being sucked up by the filter intake tube or if your little "cage" is missing from the intake, then slice an opening in the middle of the sponge and fit it over the intake. Water still gets in but your fish are protected.

3. Syringes.

a. I always keep lots of syringes around (I work at a doctor's office so they are always available, but you can also get them at the drug store, I believe). They are VERY useful for measuring the correct amount of Prime instead of counting drops or depending on the lines inside the cap.

b. Syringes are also useful for measuring the water to put in the test tubes. Especially if the white line has been worn off of the tube. Yeah, you can do it by eye, but... The API test tubes require 5 cc of water in them. Even though my syringes are 3 cc, you can do the math and add the correct amount of water to the test tubes.

c. I also use syringes for feeding my african dwarf frogs bloodworms. That way you can target the food right at them and be sure that they are eating. You can also count the worms as they come out so you know how much they have eaten. In the same vein, I also use the syringes if I am feeding my other fish any of the frozen foods, bloodworms, brine shrimp, etc. Just melt the frozen food (I use a shot glass) with tank water and then suck it up wih the syringe and squirt into the tanks. And I believe someone already mentioned in another tip about using syringes to measure medications.

I hope some (or even ALL) of my tips are helpful to someone!

The syringe idea is great. You can get them from drug stores? I was going to go get some prime tomorrow and this would be insanely helpful!

YAY! You're welcome. I just hope some of these might help someone.

I am not totally sure about buying syringes in the drug store, because I've never had to. But I know when I've heard from other people that they get them there, I was a little surprised, you know because of drug addicts and what not. But I would guess they sell them without needles? I truly don't know for sure.

i took ALL my tesk kits into the drug store to prove to them that i wasn't a druggie.. actually, i didn't need to prove to them at all.. i just wanted a syringe that would fill two flasks in the one "draw".. BUT bringing the kits along helped me to think that they didn't think i was a druggy!! LOL..

for a needle, i have a needle looking thingy but it's sawn off at the end.. we used to build model toys and the plastic glue was applied with this type of needle.. nothing sharp and for the water testing, it works a treat!!.. sooooo happy with that..

so, perhaps once you get the syringe, you could try a hobby store for the "prickless" :ignore needle!! :oops::rofl

I use syringes mostly on my smaller tanks and even pipettes. You can get them by looking up parrot feeding supplies. That is where I get mine. I just use them for my fish tanks as well as hand feeding baby parrots. (not the same one though.)

I use syringes mostly on my smaller tanks and even pipettes. You can get them by looking up parrot feeding supplies. That is where I get mine. I just use them for my fish tanks as well as hand feeding baby parrots. (not the same one though.)

:rofl

It sounded hilarious :oops:

I'm on the hunt for little pipettes so tanks for the tip

I use the syringes also, they work great! The sponge idea is wonderful, I will definitely put some in my filters in case I cycle a new aquarium or to help someone else cycle. :)