Tropicals In A 5 Gallon?

Cynders

I plan on turning my 5 gallon tank into a planted tropical tank. What kind of fish could I put in there? I know I could have tetras but are there any other options? If not I'll probably just let the betta have the 5 gallon.

I have a betta in my planted 6 gallon nano tank. You could go with 3 or 4 male guppies. Or small tetras like you mentioned. Or how about some red cherry shrimps?

Good luck

Never much cared for mollies. But they are a larger fish and I have never heard of anyone keeping them in a tank so small. Also don't they do best with a litte salt? Not good for most plants.

I think that's true for them with the salt. :doh11: My sister has my old 20 gallon and they've bred like crazy and it's only been a few weeks so that would probably be a problem too.

I think I'll do the guppies they're very pretty.

If I could set up my 5 gallon again I would love to get a pair of dwarf gouramis. Those look so good and they would do well in a small well planted tank. :)

Oh really? That makes it easier then for me, thank you :D

If a male and female are kept together will they fight after a breeding like male and female bettas?

Yes. You have to keep watch and get your back up tank ready once spawning is over. He'll kill her when her part of the spawning ritual is over.

By the way, the reason why dwarf gouramis are mostly sold as males is because breeders profit more when they put the market under control by simply selling males. They retain the females. At the same time however, even females are fed with hormones to undergo their sex changes. I dunno how true this one is. I assume it is as I witnessed the ire of one petshop owner griping his stocks of dwarf gouramis always die after they arrive and he slipped that the fish farm where they came from feeds them hormones thus the lack of females in his stocks.

A small group of Endler's livebearers (similiar to guppies) might work well, if you can find them. Don't get much bigger than an inch and there are a few pretty varieties.

Edited by lclayton