Live Plants?

Deahttub

Well I fin ally broke down and bought a new tank....I got a 125 gallon former reef tank for $300.00!!! tank, lights and stand, and 18w UV (still havent hooked that up yet)...So, I have a light system that was used for live corals, and I began to think that live plants would look totally awesome....How would I go about this? How do I sterilize the plants? How do I keep the plants in one spot (I have a barebottom tank)? Is it more trouble then its worth? im really curious if this would be successful or just a waste of time...Thanks in advance!

Well I fin ally broke down and bought a new tank....I got a 125 gallon former reef tank for $300.00!!! tank, lights and stand, and 18w UV (still havent hooked that up yet)...So, I have a light system that was used for live corals, and I began to think that live plants would look totally awesome....How would I go about this? How do I sterilize the plants? How do I keep the plants in one spot (I have a barebottom tank)? Is it more trouble then its worth? im really curious if this would be successful or just a waste of time...Thanks in advance!

Place them in pots with gravel. Low lighting plants tend to be more suited for goldfish setups especially as the majority of them are tough enough to avoid being eaten by goldfish and they do not require CO2 injection which would otherwise defeat the purpose why we keep goldfish (since goldfish are heavy oxygen consumers).

A few I can suggest to you are Java ferns, Java moss, anubias and Cryptocoryne sp. Crypts in particular are very sturdy enough to avoid being eaten. There is C. crispatula you can try which grows at 2' long. Your tank should be widespread enough though for this plant. Place plant tabs inside pots to encourage your plants to grow well.

As for sterilizing, potassium permanganate is used for this purpose.

Coral lights are not the same as plant lights. So I would also replace the lights first. If you go with low light plants you can use normal cool white light bulbs.

Good luck With goldfish plants are kind of a hit and miss sort of thing. Buy one of anything you would l ike and see what they wont mow down for lunch. Thick leafs are your best bet.

First you will want to decide if you want your tank to be a "planted tank." By this I mean plants planted in some type of gravel bottom. This will involve some work and investment initially to get the plants established. If you like to keep a bare bottom, you can use small pots with some type of gravel for your plants as Lupin suggests. Either way I agree with Hidr that you should check out what type of bulbs you got. You do not want too intense of a light that causes algae problems. Congrats on the new tank--does it have an overflow and a sump? One of my tanks has the sump system and I love it!

First you will want to decide if you want your tank to be a "planted tank." By this I mean plants planted in some type of gravel bottom. This will involve some work and investment initially to get the plants established. If you like to keep a bare bottom, you can use small pots with some type of gravel for your plants as Lupin suggests. Either way I agree with Hidr that you should check out what type of bulbs you got. You do not want too intense of a light that causes algae problems. Congrats on the new tank--does it have an overflow and a sump? One of my tanks has the sump system and I love it!

No sump...It had a wet/dry on it abd I didint want the hassle of a sump wet/dry so I didnt use it......im still thinking about whether i want to do live plants or not...thanks for the input all!