Sign in to follow this  
skinnyrose

Bleeding From Wen

Please help I am completely heart broken, my Oranda Akari developed a mark on his cheek yesterday that looked like a hickie....this evening it actually bleeding, hes floating but still alive.

I don't know if there is anything I can do to save him, when I noticed it yesterday I put him in a qt tank and started salting ....

This is the second fish I've lost to this, I travelled 1846 km with this guy and he made it no problem I hate to lose him to this .............Please Please help!!!

Ohh

All water prams are perfect

Qtank fully cycled

no new fish

2% salt haven't gotten to 3% yet

Sorry I can't think to add that would make a difference or you may ask..I just can't think I, and see through the tears..

I'm so sorry. :( When was your last water change? If you could answer all of the questions at the top I'm sure it'd help a mod better. Try to believe in yourself. It makes things easier with a clear head. I hope we can help her out soon.

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level?

[*]Nitrite Level?

[*]Nitrate level?

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

[*]Water temperature?

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)?

[*]How often do you change the water and how much?

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size?

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners?

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often?

[*]Any new fish added to the tank?

[*]Any medications added to the tank?

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

He's gone!!...he passed as I was typing my message..

I do have others in or reg tank and as I said I lost one to the exact same thing a few weeks ago...so I'd love to find out whats happening to my babies...

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level? 0ppm

[*]Nitrite Level?0 ppm

[*]Nitrate level? 5.0 ppm

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 7.6

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 7.6

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? Brand new 2 weeks old, Master Drops kit- crap can't remember that name either...

[*]Water temperature? 78

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 75, 7 months

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? Fluval 304 and cant remember the name of the other but its for a 75g alone..

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? 1x week 50%

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 5 each 5 inches long

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? prime with water change

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? sinking pellets 1x a day peas 2x a week 1 day fasting

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? 1 baby black more 4 cm long, quarentined for 4 weeks

[*]Any medications added to the tank? no

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? On his wen looks like it a bloody blister

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? was fine til this evening, bottom sitting not sure for how long before I got home but ate breaky this morning, and was swimming fine, begged for food, sat in the palm of my hand to eat.

my tank also has live plants, no new ones added, as well I use crushed coral to keep the ph at a normal level

I"ve just noticed as I am getting him ready to bury, there is deffinately some bleeding around the area he has this blisterish thing, it starts around the crease around his mouth and his beautiful chubby cheek..

Elaine

Edited by skinnyrose

I am so sorry about your poor little guy! :cry1 May he RIP.

Was he in the main tank with the rest of the fish?

Have you ever called your water company. There may be something iffy going on in the water that they're not telling you about, or there could be something icky in your filter. Was the last fish that passed in the same tank with your others when he had the blister?

Thats what I find weird, one died before we moved from Ontario, and we just lost my Akari,

completely different water,

During the move, I took the filter media put, put it in a rubber maid container, some stones and gravel from the tank, filled the rubbermaid with water from the tank...

Added the fish, daily water changes, battery operated air stone etc

All the babies made it home happy, safe and sound...

Tank was completely cleaned out, Filter casings the same....

Set up the tanks again, clean water, some new gravel adding some old gravel and media from before the move..

Dealt with the cycle bump, er go the weekly water changes, and daily water tests.

I thought I did everything by the book.....

Even Salted the water so the fish wouldn't be too stressed

It does look like he could have had some bleeding from the gill on the same side as the blister...

Ohh and the blisters almost appear over night, and take them down within 24 hrs

Any idea...or guess as to what may be going on??

Edited by skinnyrose

If the fish that died was in the water with the media and gravel, it could still be in there in the filter media and gravel. Are you using the same filter media?

Once again I'm so sorry this has happened :( Is this only on the wenned fish you've had?

Yeah something could be in the media, I've always had Orandas, still have some..just added a teenie weenie black moore about 3cm long including fins.

So I guess its clean out the tank, and sterilize the media and tank....start over with a new cycle..

Fun stuff but if it saves the rest of my fishies...

Hi, so sorry about this. :undecided:

were both fish you lost orandas? with the red in the wen? If so, I really think you should PM Kukana (Susan), she is very knowledgable in wen ulcers - which seems like what is going on here. :( They are very contagious I believe. You are best off to ask Susan what water treatment she recommends and you should maybe do a round on your main tank? I think she uses a mix of 2 meds. Ask her :)

Well now that the panic is over, and I"ve been able to do some reading, it does appear to be Hole in the Head Disease, and probably started when we got the 2 new fish way back when, one had fish lice, and the other some sort of bacterial disease. I thought we had cleaned everything good enough to prevent losing any more (back then I didn't know alot about quarentine)

I guess my housekeeping skills aren't quite good enough for goldfish..

I was just reviewing this thread and though I suppose I'm to late to comment, I just wanted to tell you how sorry I am to hear your Akari did'nt make it. He seemed very special to you. :(