New Tank Questions With Video

Guest Gavin

Greetings everyone,

My father and I kept goldfish many years ago and I have just recently set the tank up again and purchased a couple goldies. I set up the tank two weeks ago and the fish have been in it for about a week and a half. I think its going pretty well but wanted to post my setup and get some thoughts on it.

I have a 10 gallon tank with a big filter, 2 Orandas about 1" body length (an orange/white and a calico), two mondo-grass plants and something else that I haven't identified (from my local pet store).

First of all, is this sufficient? I had been told that up to four goldies could be in a ten gallon, but have read people claiming that I want a 20 gallon just for one. Do I need to upgrade the tank size or add a bubbler? My fish are still quite small.

My only cause for concern so far is the behavior of my fish. My red/white likes to chase the calico around the tank. The red/white seems really energetic, while the calico spends a lot more time resting. Often they seem to get along, sometimes staying in the same part of the tank and other times keeping their distance from each other. They both utilize the entire tank including inside the log seen in the video, and it is set up in a way that they can be out of eyesight of each other (as I have read can help if fish are fighting).

Periodically, though, the orange/white will start chasing the calico around the tank as seen here (about a minute into the video):

http://gallery.me.com/gavinwilliams#100083/IMG_0178

The calico has one eye that is much smaller than the other, and it may be completely blind on that side. I'm worried that the stronger fish is picking on the weaker one. I isolated the calico for a few hours today to make sure it can rest.

Am I just being paranoid about their behavior? Is there anything obvious that I should change? Just want them both to be happy.

Edited by Gavin

hi there! :welcome

I will just try and give you a few pointers.

10gallons is really quite small :( It is really the minimum for ONE goldie. Usually, people prefer 20gal for the 1st goldie and 10gal for all the extra ones. So you would best need a 20-30gal.

Another thing I noticed, the log. :( It is a hollow ornament, what happens in those is that water becomes stagnant, bacteria builds up, this causes all sorts of nasties (I lost a couple of fish from a bacterial infection caused by hollow ornaments)

Also, the gravel, do you have it lower than 1inch? Gravel also holds many nasties. Do you have a syphon to clean it out?

As for the filter. You need a 10x hour turnover. So you would need 100gal per hour. Best 200 since you should plan an upgrade sometime.

The calico fish looks a bit under the weather. :( Do you have water testers for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates? Those are crucial for keeping goldfish.

You can also read up on the Nitrogen cycle. :)

My link

My link

Good luck!

I second everything that Federica just said. 4 goldies in a 10 gallon is highly inappropriate because of the sheer waste one produces. 10 gallons is even too small for one goldfish. Also the mondo grass isn't a true aquarium plant I don't think so watch to make sure it doesn't melt and foul your tank.

I would upgrade to the biggest tank you can asap to prevent stunting of your fish. Don't forget weekly water changes of 50% or larger. But since you are cycling the tank I would recommend daily ones.

The chasing is most likely due to lack of space. The rule of thumb is generally 10 gallons per fancy and 20 gallons per common.

:D welcome to Kokos by the way! Feel free to ask questions.

Edited by Haruka

######, Ok well ill just do everything you say, starting with a 30 gallon tank. and a water test kit asap.

They both really like the log but I guess it must go :(

My filter is old but Ill try to determine its flow rate somehow.

I combined the pickup from my filter to an old under gravel filter I had so that it takes in water from a shallow mesh cage under the rocks that spans the entire tank. I have done one water change so far and I did poke around at the rocks with the syphon. The rocks are much less than 1 inch thick above my filter pickup, closer to 1 cm. Besides flow rate is this an alright filter setup?

The Mondo Grass was recommended to me for goldfish (purchased from mmm), but I'm hearing so much contradiction when it comes to keeping goldfish that I'm going to do much more research from now on and reevaluate everything (for example, that "I dont need a test kit for goldfish" :doh11: )

Thanks so far!

Try and do about 50-75% water changes daily until you get the testers. Since you are not cycled yet they are going to be bombarded by ammonia from their poop etc. :)

Undergravel filters aren't ideal for goldies. Check into some 'Hang on Back filters' - those are REALLY good and REALLY cheap too :))

you will be fine in no time!

Oh to clarify, I'm using a great big old hang-on-back filter but its combined with a under gravel filter to take water in from the bottom. Its sucking pretty hard to I think it will avoid the issue of crud building up under it but I'm doing more research.

I had no idea about the cycling so Im getting on that now (fail).

50% water change and now they are acting like brother and sister once again. Thanks so much!

I'll post again once I get them in the new tank, if there arrant any problems before then.

Currently my 2 Orandas, also about 1" each in body length, are in a 10g temp tank going thru some anti-parasite treatment with Prazi and AP food (10g = less Prazi used haha). It's a cycled tank so ammo and nitrites are 0. They're both okay there for now, but like in your case, I wouldn't leave them there for too long. I'm finishing off my 29g stand so once that's done, they're back in the big tank. 29g (typically a 2 1/2 foot tank) is ideal for 2 Orandas, as it'll allow them to grow into that space and gives them a healthy 15g each. There's more leeway when dealing with their toxic waste. Goldfish produce a hormone that limits their growth, so with more water in the tank, the longer it'll take for that hormone levels in the water to build up between water changes. Speaking of water changes, I agree with the advice given above: do daily water changes of 50% or more, it removes the toxic ammonia and nitrates that are building up. It has to be 50% or more so you're constantly diluting the existing ammonia and nitrates to manageable levels. Any less and they'd start to build up and up. It'll take a while before the cycle kicks in, so you're looking at about 2-3 weeks of daily changes. You can try to speed it up by obtaining used media/bio-rings/etc, although I'd take them either from a healthy disease-free tank, or the tank they originally came from. That way you can seed in some beneficial bacteria to speed up the process.

You'd want to put in an air pump and a bubbler, or even better a small sponge filter. Sponge filters plug into airlines and they give a generous amount of surface action, as well as act as a bed for beneficial bacteria, they are also cheap and you simply wash the sponge and never have to buy a new one. Also useful as a temp filter (when cycled) for a hospital tank.

Edit: just saw the vid, my guys are the same size as your guys! Also, +1 for log removal.

Edited by j0shua