How Well Do Goldfish See?

itsalltoomuch

I was just wondering if anyone knew how well a goldfish can see, given that they are healthy goldfish with no problems, or no wen to cover their eyes. Do they see in color? Is it blurry? Can they see things from a distance?

Mine can see a good 3-4 metres in daylight room conditions. I've noticed that they respond to movement far more - I've stood motionless about 2 metres and they didn't do their hello dance. But if I walk past at twice that distance, and they notice the movement, they start yapping for attention!

They do respond to colour. I use a green cup to prepare their food, and they go nuts when they see it. The clear glass salt preparation cup doesn't bring out the same response.

Wow that is interesting about the cup thing! Shows how smart they are!

I've noticed that too, if I'm sitting in my computer chair and turn around so I can face my goldfish, they don't react. If I move around a bit , they go nuts!

• Supporter

depends on the type..

a telescope has poor eyesight if not totally blind.. other fish in my tank see perfectly fine and distances also.. but pork chop and the moors go from the vibration of my steps and come over to the glass before i get there..

Mariko certainly seems to watch me quite attentively....

I did a test a while back for their hearing, I used to always shake their blue pellets pot when it was breakfast time and they'd go crazy, a few times I tried shaking it out of their sight and got no response - so they definitely recognised the sight of the blue pot waving back and forth and associated it with food.

Edited by devilduck

• Admin

Since goldfish's eyes are on the side of the face they see like pray animals (like say Squirrels) so they cant see directly in front of there face... Then it gets worse for the Telescope's, they kinda have goggles on there head...

Goldfish can see primary colors and this is why they can tell the difference of people or other things in the tank. :)

Goldfish are very smart creatures and the older they get the more they can remember in the long term :)