Pico Build

caitie

Technically they say to use RO/DI water. I use tap water that I let sit out for 24 hours before I mix in the salt. :ignoreMy tanks are all doing fine on the tap water although I do have some issues with algae but certainly nothing so drastic that I would give up my tanks for. :)

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Technically they say to use RO/DI water. I use tap water that I let sit out for 24 hours before I mix in the salt. :ignoreMy tanks are all doing fine on the tap water although I do have some issues with algae but certainly nothing so drastic that I would give up my tanks for. :)

Do you add anything besides the salt to the water?

Also, can you do 2 clowns and a gobby in a 20long?

Yes I also add Aquaplus dechlorinator because our city has added chloramines to the water. I mix the reef salt mix and use a powerhead to mix it for 24 hours. So basically it takes me 48 hours to make my water. :) I don't dose my tanks with any other additives. Since I don't use RO/DI water, every time I add freshwater to replace the evaporated water, I am adding back in some minerals that are in my tap water. So far my calcium levels are always high enough. I also make sure I do a 10% wc every week. So all my levels stay perfect. :)

Yes you could keep two clowns and a goby as long as they are true or false percula clowns.

I'm definitely going to try something like this when i am more experienced and have more time to enjoy it :)

I hope you'll be able to do it. :)

But one word of caution start with something bigger to get some experience because picos are hard to maintain. I had been keeping reef tanks for over 3 years before I even thought about starting this pico. ;)

I've got a couple of spare tanks kicking around I could use for saltwater, but I don't have time or money for it and I'm starting to wonder if I ever will! Stu and I are thinking about getting a 5-6ft tank for all the goldies, which will leave my 40 gallon bowfront and two 24 gallon tanks, 1 long and 1 cube, kicking around the place. Stu's on about selling my tank to cover some of the costs of a bigger one, but in some ways I'd rather we just get another 40 gallon. I'm really attached to that tank, it's my first 'proper' non-glass box job you know? Maybe one day it'll be a reef tank...

Oh wow Koko. That was a beauty. :) What size was your nano cube?

We started out the same, I got started with my 7 gallon nano and set up my 29 gallon and finally the 1/2 gallon pico. My problem is I didn't get rid of any on the way, so I have all three running. :doh11:

Sarah the 24 cube would be an awesome salt water tank. ;)

• 1 month later...

Koko did you have any fish in your 12 gal nano? I've been thinking of getting a yellow clown goby for my 7 gal nano. :undecided: I think it would be pretty happy in that tank all on its own. I'll have to start shopping to find one soon. :)

• Admin

Yeah i had 2 fish in there... thats right... i had a false Perc and I had a Goby..dont remember which one but he was very close to my pistol shrimp I had :)

• 3 months later...

Well it is time for an update on the pico. :( Unfortunately I will be taking the pico apart later tonight. Due to my busy schedule I need to get rid of it. I just can't give it the attention it needs and I noticed the corals were starting to suffer because I don't have proper lighting for them. So I need a new light but I can't find the time to travel to the stores to get one and ordering online is not an option right now. The plan right now is to keep the filter going by putting it on my 29 gallon reef. Then I will move all the rocks, corals and sand over to the 7 gallon nano, so that the corals can recover from the bad light.

This was a really fun and interesting project and I plan on restarting it a little later on, when my schedule gets back on track. When I do, I intend to use a small glass cube tank like the one here: Marina betta tank

A glass tank will be easier to clean with out scratching. I will also be getting the new light before I start the new pico which should make all the difference. :)

Thanks to everyone who followed along and gave their opinions on this little tank of mine. :heart

Hopefully it won't be too long before I can post pics of a brand new pico. :)

Thanks for sharing your pico adventures Edith, you've been a real inspiration :) Maybe after this summer I'll be setting up a nano of my own and pestering you for info ;) Good luck with your next project and hope your schedule eases out a bit sooner rather than later so we can all stalk you again ;):) New tank looks awesome :)

I hope you do set a nano up this summer Sarah, you will love it. :)

So I took down the pico last night and now my kitchen shelf is so empty. :( Everyone who walks in the kitchen automatically looks for the pico. I'm not very popular in the family right now. :undecided:

Edited by caitie