Pico Build

caitie

• Admin

Sometimes rocks do come with extra's hun, when I had my tank and anytime I would get rock, I would set the rocks up in some salt water from my tank in a bucket, let it sit for a few hours and let the bugs come out. Reason I did this is cause if the rock is from a tank that has bristle worms, most likely you will get some.. :o

i did the mistake once of not doing this, and well my tank wond up with bristle worms, gorilla crab and there is a nasty shrimp too, so becareful :o

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a picture from tonight, the tank is really doing well.

DSCF2570.jpg

My brother has decided to give me a present for the pico, a little Led fixture!:bounce:rockon We have to order it but I'll post pics of it as soon as I get it. This is really great because heat was beginning to be a problem but with leds it will solve that problem. :)

I just love this tank :) so when I get some live rock it may just come with some freebies???is that a good thing??So exciting :)

Yes the live rock often brings in lots of stuff. Some people like Koko play it safe and soak their rock in a bucket of salt water so that some of the possible baddies come out. Which is not a bad idea. :)

I've never done that, I have bristleworms in all of my tanks but they have never been a problem as long as I don't touch them. I do think that I have some sort of predator shrimp or crab that has fun killing off my emerald crabs but I'm not sure. :undecided: It doesn't seem to kill of anything else sooo??? Anyways back to the live rock I like discovering whatever comes in on it so I always just add it right to the tank, but then I didn't have any fish in the tank when I was adding my liverock.

Edited by caitie

okey dokey then, I should qt my live rock just like i would a new fish or something right??Guess I know what I'm going to be doing tomorrow ;) (LOL) I really do not want something to kill my beautiful yellow tail damsel or bite me or something :(

Edited by shellbell4ever

You can do like Koko said, fill up a bucket with some salt water and let your new rock sit in there for a few hours. You could also stick a piece of raw shrimp on one of those long bamboo skewers, then move it slowly around your new rock, if there is a crab or shrimp in there it will reach out for the free meal. Just don't automatically kill what you find, post a pic of it first it might be a really great freebie. :D

I'm so impatient we ordered the led light and it should get here in a couple of days. :nana This should really make the pico look great. Here's a link to what we got:

http://www.mydymax.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=69&category_id=22&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=154

this thread is so cool! I love how it is coming along! how often must you do water changes? do you have to syphon or how do you do it? I would be afraid of sucking up some stuff :rofl

I wonder if I could do this with my empty BiOrb... It's only 4gal...

this thread is so cool! I love how it is coming along! how often must you do water changes? do you have to syphon or how do you do it? I would be afraid of sucking up some stuff :rofl

I wonder if I could do this with my empty BiOrb... It's only 4gal...

Yeah it is so cool, I really enjoy watching pico. :D I do a wc every 3 or 4 days, using one of those little pipettes from the water testing kits. :rofl And instead of a pail I use a plastic cup. :D

The only thing with the biorb is that you would need to change the lighting. :undecided:

oh so it's not like you are hoovering the sand etc? cause the BiOrb is like IMPOSSIBLE to clean. :doh11:

What lights do I need? I have the BabyBiOrb model with the normal lights and the 'moonlight' feature.

No in a reef tank you almost never hoover the sand cause it's full of bugs you really want. :) Never thought I would say that! :D Instead you put some nassarius snails that live in the sand and keep it clean.

I use Coralife PC 50/50 lights on my reefs but I don't now how you would change your lights. I know they sell a biorb marine conversion kit but it can't be used with the Baby Biorb. :( I'm sure there would be a way tho, I'll try and discover it and let you know. :)

No in a reef tank you almost never hoover the sand cause it's full of bugs you really want

now the boyfriend will REALLY be into this idea! :rofl

yea I saw the marine converter thing. But in my baby size thing I can keep like one crab in it?

If you can figure out how to get the right light you could keep a couple of hermit crabs and maybe some very small shrimp like Sexy Shrimp that would be really cool looking in a round tank like yours. :)

:rofl :rofl :rofl I thought you were kidding me with the 'sexy shrimp'!!! but those are REAL COOL! gotta go check in the saltwater store if they have such things. Could I keep live corals like yours? I know the store has LOTS of those. They have like a 'bar' with all the chunks of corals for sale. Do I have to feed those things? I have to check with the light.

Yes you would be able to keep some easy corals like mine. They feed mostly from the light and from nutrients in the water believe it or not. That is why it takes some special lighting to be able to keep them. Also you would need to find a way to add a small water pump like this one:

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=15955

That might be a challenge in a round tank though. :undecided: A reef needs a lot of current but not bubbles like freshwater.

oh okey.

so far the BiOrb has a kind of undergravel filter and the bubbles come up the middle? It is quite aggressive - bubble wise. How do you cycle it? It is taking me like 3 months to cycle fresh water! :doh11:

Very cool! I didn't think you could do this on such a small scale.

A restaurant near my house has a HUGE saltwater tank and when you drive by at night you see it through the windows its so bright and beautiful :heart They have some monter fish in there.

so far the BiOrb has a kind of undergravel filter and the bubbles come up the middle? It is quite aggressive - bubble wise. How do you cycle it? It is taking me like 3 months to cycle fresh water!

Very cool! I didn't think you could do this on such a small scale.

Cycling a salt water tank is just a bit longer. :yeah: You would have to remove the undergravel filter. The bubbles would look nice but won't be very useful, corals need movement like waves. Some people use filters like in freshwater but that only causes problems later on. I use a very natural approach with just the live sand and the liverock which acts as filtration. I do use Aquaclear filters but they only contain some live rock and some algae. The tank then goes through the same cycling as fresh Ammo; nitrites and finally nitrates. It just takes longer to go through this process and you need lots of patience. If I remember correctly my 29 gallon took about 6 months to cycle completely. :blink:

As for doing this on a smale scale it is possile but it is harder to maintain. Most people who start with these very small systems usually have experience with bigger reef tanks. If you are really interested in a small tank I think it would be easier on you to use a simple rectangular 5 gallon tank. The lights would be easy to find and then you could fit it out with an Aquaclear 50 or 70. It is also easier to maintain but it can be gorgeous. :)

You know my fav Shimp but he was noisy :lol

Pistol shrimps, they are just so colorful :)

tn_PistolShrimp2_jpg.jpg

Koko I love pistol shrimps and Mantis shrimp. They look so cool. But I'm always afraid they would harm some of my other critters. :rolleyes:

• Admin

Pistol shrimp believe it or not, there blind hun, Most of the time people have Goobies with them so they team up so the shrimp can know what is going on.... There just noisy they sound like the little pistol snap guns :lol

So I could get a pistol and goby for the 29 gallon then. :yeah: But then maybe the sound would bug everyone. Hmm I'll have to think about that.

Federica I thought the cycling part might put you off. :tomuch: :tomuch: :tomuch: There is a saying amongst reefers:

Only bad things happen fast in a reef tank. ;)

OMG this is getting so interesting,something new everyday :) I just love your ref motto...

"There is a saying amongst reefers:

Only bad things happen fast in a reef tank. ;)

I think I would like to have a goby/shrimp pair if I can near the end :)

• 3 weeks later...

Me too Shell, a goby and pistol shrimp would be so interesting. :)

I haven't updated on the pico for a while, it is doing great my mushrooms are even reproducing. :) I'm still waiting for the Led fixture I ordered, it's on back order, it probably will take a month before I can receive it. :(

I'll post some pics up as soon as I can.

How could I miss this thread? This pico reef is so adorable, for some wacky reason I am a total sucker for tiny things, which is the reason that honestly, I love those cute tiny little betta setups. Don't get me wrong, I know they are no good for the poor fish, so I do not support this. Yet I think they're so pretty.

Anyway, this looks great! I just read through almost the entire thread. Too bad about the snail :( And now I learned about sexy shrimp :D

Thanks Fang, I love this little project too. I'm so excited one of the mollies in the 29 gallon gave birth today. :nana I managed to save 5 babies from turning into snacks for the proud parents. I put them in the pico for now until they grow a little stronger and then if they make it I'll put them in the nano. Here are some pics of a few of the babies. They are very orange just like mom and dad, and they are all eyes. :wub:

picobuildbabies003.jpg

picobuildbabies010.jpg

Man I need a better camera. I wish these were clearer.:(