Pico Build

caitie

Thank you Helen. :heart Yes I'm surprised that the family got into this as much, they really like this little tank.

oh edith, i do too.. it's adorable.. now send it over.. :bat: it'll probably cycle bump all the way to australia.. but i'll fix it when it gets here!! :tomuch:

Yeah it's on it's way, then you can have the trouble instead of me. :lol1

This is my smallest tank and it will ruin me with all the testing I have to do on it. :rofl

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh no, bummer about the mishap! Glad the little snail is okay :) I have to say, I had a good laugh at the idea of doing 50% water changes on a 1/2 gallon tank though! :teehee That would be over in a flash!

It takes about 5 minutes and it is fun to do a ''big'' wc with a turkey baster and measuring cup! :rofl Although if today is any indication it might end up being more work then all my other tanks. :rolleyes:

I'm already up to 6 50% wcs just today. :doh11: When I got home the ammonia was right back up to 1.0. :blink: But the corals are starting to open up so I think they will be okay during this cycle bump. :)

Yeah me too. I just did the last one but instead of adding new water I used water from the 29 gallon reef. Apparently people who have kept picos successfully always do wcs with water from an established tank. We'll see if that helps. :undecided:

Thank you Koko. :) So far the salinity is very stable. There is hardly any evaporation. I hope this will continue. :)

I'm very very happy now. The cycle is well on it's way. Two days ago I added some nutrafin cycle to the filter. Since then things are moving along. The ammonia yesterday morning was right back up to 1.0, but last night wth no wc it had gone down to 0.50. This morning the stats are Ammonia 0.25 :nana

Nitrites 0.1 and nitrate 5. So I think soon things will settle down. All the corals are opening up fine except the Red Sea pulsing xenia which is gone. :(

My mistake was using mostly new sand, I should have used only sand from my existing reefs and then there would have been no cycle bump.

I'll be adding a new pic later today. :)

Edited by caitie

• Admin

Well dont be to sad on that coral, they are just so sensitive with everything and if i remember right people call it "Melting" on the Red Sea pulsing xenia, i had one that did that cause I put it in the wrong spot of the tank and it was touching a Mushroom :(

Yeah that's true, it is a really sensitive coral. It was doing great in my 29 gal and then I changed around my water pumps and the darn things started to move around or melt. But it's so pretty when it does well. :)

I need to stop visiting any threads relating to your marine tanks. I really want a nano tank with some shrimp and blue legged hermit crabs but it's all so expensive and scary, and I haven't yet figured out if I can keep them with just LR or they need coral, will be noseying in my book this weekend. LRWcrabby things would keep the lighting costs down...

Hermits and shrimp don't need corals the LR and sand would be enough. If you want some really interesting hermits I love the scarlett hermit. He is bright red with yellow eyes. So cute.

Here's a picture of mine exploring a future home :rolleyes: :

Ctamoi.jpg

You are NOT HELPING!!! :rofl

I shall have to see how much space and time I have when I start uni again (in a week!), I'm thinking of using Red's show tank, it's a rectangular 6 gallon glass tank I might be able to do something with :) Shouldn't cost a bomb for LR and sand in that size either and I know a marine store in Manc, though I wasn't impressed with their goldie selection at all. Would a normal internal be ok? I have 2 small canisters I got second hand and when I tried using the bigger of the two it sprayed water EVERYWHERE...need to replace the seal or something but it's kinda put me off them...

How's your pico looking now? Is it safe for Nessy to return yet?

A 6 gallon would be great. I recommend you use an aquaclear on there much better than any other type of filter, then you fill it up with some lr rubble and some cheato. :)

The pico looks good right now although with all that happened today I couldn't do anything to it, but unfortunately Nassy won't be going in it. :( He didn't make it, the day after I put him back in the 29 gallon I found his little shell empty. :cry1

Yeah I feel pretty bad about the little guy, he was born in my 29 gallon and it's pretty rare that they survive he was already about 6 months old. :(

• Supporter

oh edith.. sad news :(

i share, i had my snails eating in a bowl, i hadn't realized that john had used my snail bowl for turpentine to clean up some brushes he'd used for oil paint.. (we're renovating)

he'd washed it clean and for once in his life put something back from where he got it.. unfortunately, there must have still been some residue in it as the snails were healthy and strong.. 2 of which i had for over 4 years and the others i got a few months back..

they're all dead :(

some think, oh well, they're just snails, but i couldn't help sheadding a tear when i saw the poor things dead. i was furious!.. franky, sproket and their two new buds..

RIP Nassy..

Oh My Gosh I have missed so much and your little pico tanks so cool!!!Sorry about the snail mishap (and yours as well stakos :( ) But I am so excited to get started on my nano now!!!!!!A little more research to do....and get started slow but sure :)

Thank you Sakura. I'm really surprised that they are doing so well but I'm enjoying this little tank. :)

I am so jealious ;) I can not wait to get started with my 20 gallon :)

suggestions needed...What would you put in a 20 gallon long (keep it simple..as I am a beginner ;)

I'd be glad to offer some suggestions Shellbell, but you need to decide first what you want.

Do you want corals and fish? Or just the corals and some shrimp and crabs? I can give you the names of some easy beginner corals and also some smaller fish. You wont be able to put too many fish in a 20 galllon you could get away with 3-5 small fish.

Here is a list of the best ones for a nano:

True and false percula (you could get a mated pair)

banggai cardinals; pajama cardinals; royal gamma;

clown gobies; bicolor pseudochromis; green chromis. And of course you could try mollies, I absolutely love mine. :)

If you want only fish in there you should get 1 lb of live rock for every gallon of water but if you want a reef you'll need at least 2lbs of LR per gallon.

Let me know if you need help with the equipment you need to buy or with the setting up of the tank? :)