Pico Build

caitie

So this is a slow saturday afternoon for me. I've been playing around with the idea of starting a pico reef for a long time now. Originally the idea was a 1 or 2 gallon pico but I got impatient this afternoon. I had an old Marina betta tank that holds 1/2 gallon, I have a mini elite filter that will act as a powerhead and I will be using the clip on light that I use at night on my refugium for the 29 gallon reef. I also had a bag of sand I hadn't used up when I set up my 2 other reef tanks. The challenge here is to use as much of the stuff I have on hand and to buy the least possible new things. I also feel confident about trying this experiment because if anything starts to go wrong I can simply take the corals and any of the critters that will be added in and return them to one of my other reef tanks. So I know that none of the corals will suffer in this experiment. :)

Here is the equipment I will use:

Picobuild023.jpg

I used 1 cup of new argonite sand that I rinsed before putting it into the tank.

Picobuild020.jpg

Picobuild027.jpg

I then took out about 1/4 cup of live sand from my 29 gallon reef and added on top of the new sand. Then I took 5 cups of water from the 29 gall to use as starting water in the pico. It is like mud in the pico right now but it should clear up in a few hours.

Picobuild029.jpg

I also cut some leather coral babies so that I could use the cuttings in the pico. In the picture here I have the cuttings in some empty snail shells so that they can attach themselves before I add the to the pico.

Picobuild031.jpg

Here are the pictures of the two corals from which I took the cuttings.

This is some sort of leather coral.

Leather1.jpg

And this is my toadstool. :)

toadstool.jpg

I will be adding on to this as the pico progresses.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oooooo!!! Build me one too please :D

How do you cut the corals off? Do you have to 'uproot' them or is it like cutting off a tree branch and growing it out?

Anytime! :D

I used scissors because they were so tiny. When a coral moves on a rock they leave a little piece of themselves stuck to the rock and then that piece grows into another coral. So I always have a couple of these little ''babies'' around. All I have to do is cut it very close to the rock. The cutting will reattach to a shell or a piece of rock and the piece I leave on the rock will then regrow again. :)

Here is a pic of the tank with the filter in and the light on. I can't wait till it clears up. :)

Picobuild034.jpg

Edited by caitie

Because I used sand and all the water from my established tank the pico is already cycled so I just added the live rock and some of the corals. The tank is still cloudy but you can now see some of the stuff in it. :)

Picobuild040.jpg

Picobuild043.jpg

So far heating won't be a problem the tank stayed at 80 degrees with the light on. I'll see how low it drops at night. :undecided:

Tomorrow I should be able to post some clearer pictures. :rolleyes:

A pico is anything under 5 gallons. A nano is anything under 30 gallons. Most people try to do a 1 or 2 gallon pico, but I was bored today. :blink:

Thanks Dennis and Susan. :) Now the waiting begins to see if it will work. If it does I think I'll add a sexy shrimp or two in there. :yeah:

Edited by caitie

So almost 24 hours later here is the pico. :)

Picobuild045.jpg

But I'm not satisfied, I don't like the mini elite filter. It takes up too much precious space in the pico. So I dug out an old aquaclear 20 and I will only use the U-tube which I will cover with some nylons so that nothing important gets sucked up in it. Here is the filter parts. Except you need to cover the other side of the U-tube. :oops:

Picobuild050.jpg

I then added some live rock rubble and some chaeto which will act as the biological filter.

Picobuild051.jpg

Picobuild053.jpg

I also added a small baby nassarius that was in the 29 gal tank, he will keep my sand sifted and clean. I need to find a name for him. :)

Picobuild060.jpg

He immediately decided to go for a walk.

Picobuild065.jpg

And now I messed up the tank once again so I have to wait a few hours before I can see if my corals like the new flow from the aquaclear or not. :rolleyes:

Picobuild069.jpg

To be continued......

Very nice! I can't wait to see it progress even further!

I love the idea of sexy shrimp! Those guys love to party, they'd love it in there! :)

Thanks guys. I'm pretty excited about this project I really hope it works. Right now the coral are still sulking it will take a few days before they open up properly.

The family insisted I move the pico from the kitchen counter top to a prime location. :yeah:

picobuild072.jpg

And yes Sarah the tank is tiny, 1/2 gallon. A friend of mine said it was like keeping a bonsai reef. :D

Here is a picture to show the actual size:

picobuild083.jpg

Not really, I make a little mark on the tank where the water level is and then I just top off with fresh water whatever evaporates. The real danger is if I forget to top it off and there is a lot of evaporation then the salinity will rise really quick. That's why I put it in the kitchen I'm sure to see it and have water on hand to top it off. :)

So I had a bad surprise this morning. Nassy the baby nassarius had climbed out of the tank but he wasn't dead yet. :( I put him back in and tested the water. The only time I've seen nassarius snails get out of a tank is when the water quality is real bad. It was real bad.

Ammo 1.0 :yikes

Nitrite 0.1

Nitrate below 5

So I put Nassy back in the 29 gallon tank I don't want him to die. :)

And I just did 3 50% wcs back to back and the ammo is still at 0.25. I will need to do more wc when I get back today.

Yes it must be a cycle bump or else something died in there, I'll have to look when I get home later. :undecided:

I'm sure Nassy will go back in his domain as soon as the cycle is stabilized.

Thank you Helen. :heart Yes I'm surprised that the family got into this as much, they really like this little tank.

• Supporter

Thank you Helen. :heart Yes I'm surprised that the family got into this as much, they really like this little tank.

oh edith, i do too.. it's adorable.. now send it over.. :bat: it'll probably cycle bump all the way to australia.. but i'll fix it when it gets here!! :tomuch: