Hope Is Running Out, I'm Afraid

clweddell

So, first-my apologies for not being on here lately. Between work and kids, I have been crazy this summer. BUT-I do have something I need to talk to you guys about.

As many of you may remember, I have a little orange oranda that I more or less rescued from Petsfart. She was scraggly and sad when I got her, but I healthy and beautiful. Until lately. About a month ago, she became a floater. She did ok, but spent most of her time at the top-ate well, and managed to swim about sometimes. Well, over the weekend, I noticed she floated mostly in one corner and was having a hard time controlling herself to eat. And then this morning, she is side floating, and it looks like she has been chewed on. SO sad! I love this little fighter and she isn't doing well......her wen in almost totally eaten down to her gills on one side. Needless to say, she now out of the big tank and in with Hope (who is the MOST inactive fish ever! and might have her own issues).....SO-my question.....do I euthanize her? I will post a pic when I am up to it.....

I really don't believe in prolonging the inevitable when it comes to my pets....and whether a fish or a kitty, I hate to see them suffer.....

Just weigh in and let me know what you all think......and thank you!

Hey G.G! :heart So good to hear from you even if it is under bad circumstances. I'm really sorry to hear about your little fighter. :(

The decision to euthanize is always a hard one. But in this case you say she is floating on her side and had trouble eating. So she is eating right? could you maybe try to hand feed her? Since she got chewed on that might explain why she is now on her side, the wen not being right on one side could explain that she is now on her side. Since you have removed her from the danger maybe if you just give her good nutrition she will rebuild her strength. :)

Have you ever discovered what is making her float? What are you feeding?

I feed Omega One-always have-the sink. I do feed some veggies from time to time, but I have a ryukin that is VERY sensitive, so I have to keep it kinda boring.

She is in salt now, I will see how she does over the next 24 hours.....she just looks miserable.....

Chandra!!!!!!!!!!heartpump.gif Poor little Orandaundecided.gif I am currently in the midst of something very similar. I found 1 of my 2 Orandas w/ sbd and stuck on the bottom,dead last week-w/ an eye chewed out and some wen gone too. I had chalked it up to she having died from whatever,THEN someone chewed herwhatjust.gif But then,the other 1s wen was looking picked at on the top,and sure enough,I saw 1 of my ryukin/ranchu hybrids come over and pick at her wen! I felt so terrible-like she doesn't have enough problemsdoh11.gif I moved the offending fish into a tank by himself -he just seems very mouthy and unable to control himself-so long term,I'm unsure about what I'll do w/ him b/c I need that tank openbingo.gif

If it were me,I think I would try to give her a chance by moving her and keeping her water pristine. Does it look infected or anything,where the wen is missing?

I'm so sorry about your sweet girl. :( I would try what Kukana says and try to move her to her own quarantine tank so nothing gets spread and keep pristine water.

As for euthanasia, I think you need to think about her quality of life, like you said "Is this inevitable and would I be prolonging her suffering?" I would also consider her stress factors and see if it is more work than you can handle to keep up with her needs especially if her wen looks this far gone. :( It's a really hard decision but I believe it is up to you. If it were in my case, I would look at her quality of life in the long run.

Thanks all!

She is the tank in our bedroom, it is warm and smaller and I salted it a bit ago. I think I will give her a shot and see.....her wen is chewed down to the gill opening.....it is ugly. I will post a pic and you guys can see what it looks like. I have been SO lucky with all my fish...they are happy and healthy....ugh, I am not sure I am equipped for this! :(

I know it's definitely tough and you are doing a fabulous job of caring for her and all of your fish. :heart

A picture would definitely help then maybe a mod can swing by and see if there are any fixes if possible.

She isn't eating so great....at all. I tried to get her close to the food the other day when she was still interested, but I she wasn't at all interested in it just a bit ago.

it is probably because of the injury? It is so sad to thing the other did that to her... :(

are you salting 0.2%, I think preventing infection and getting it to start healing will really help her out.

Yep-she is safe outta the big tank and being salted tonight. I will see how she does overnight. Hopefully she will eat. We'll see! Thanks for all the concern!

Hey Chandra, missed you! So sorry for Hope, you have given her such a great life from such a rough start. She put up a good fight when you brought her home and nursed her back to health, maybe she can do it again. Big hugs to you, crossing my fingers that you won't have to make that tough decision, but if you do, you'll know when it's time :heart

S-that is a good idea. She isn't looking great as I head to bed.....ugh, I feel so bad for her. She is half upright, but not really. If she survives the night, I would be shocked....but if she does, then I will have HOPE! I really feel like is she makes it thru the night, she will be OK....

I will let you all know!

Thanks for warm welcome back..... :heart :heart :heart

Chandra I have missed you!!! Come back to us! :please

Poor Hope :( She doesn't look great, but from the photos it looks like she still has a chance. I know what you mean about not wanting to prolong their suffering. I just had to euthanize two fish and it is terrible, but it was definitely their time. Sometimes it's just the kindest gesture we can do for them. But I definitely think that in your excellent care, Hope still has a good chance. Keep us posted.

Sakura! Thanks for the sweetness! I have to tell you that Isis is GORGEOUS! Wow, what a pretty fish. Those telescopes are cool....and I am so sorry reading about your Yoshi....doesn't it all just S U C K sometimes?