Fish Isn't Acting Right

lovie

yea petstores suck :(

So the easy way is this - you should be getting your tank results like this:

ammonia:0

Nitrite:0

these two NEVER should be anything other than zero. once your tank is 'cycled' it will naturally stay 0.

nitrate; can be anything from 1-30 :)

you need to keep doing water changes when ammonia more than 0.75 or 1, same for nitrites.

try. My link

you should get the API for ammonia, nitrite, pH, nitrate :) don't worry they last a LONG time. you can also get 'Cycle Biological Water Conditioner', it will help get the good bacteria in your filters.

how are the fish today?

is there a way you can rehome the Pleco? sometimes they suck on the goldies' slimecoats :(

you are doing great :)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just did another one. The nitrite is down to in between 0 and 0.5.

I'll look at that test kit too.

EDIT: Love-A-Lot and Hercules and no longer swimming at the top and Love-A-Lot's backfin is up again. I hope that the this is the slightest sign that it's getting better.

I think it was the nitrites and they were gettign nitrite poisoning. Keep it low even more if you can. You'll always want them to be at 0 ideally. :D You're doing a fabulous job and I would do what Federica suggested. She gave you some great advice.

Really guys I think I'm doing a bit of a sucky job. My mom and I have been fighting like heck lately because she thinks "Oh the fish is fine it's fine" and she wants to go to my grandfather who spend 20+ years with fish who says, "Oh just keep the goldfish in a bowl" and "Change it all once a month" for answers. She has been making me feel real bad lately because she keeps calling him and sayin things like, "she's just going ridiculously far for this dumb fish" and I have no idea how I am supposed to get a tester when she will not even let me change the water :*(

EDIT: also the last time I did the nitrite, I did it wrong. You were supposed to dip it in and leave it for 30 seconds. I left it in for 30 seconds. So it may not be correct.

Edited by Love_A_Lot

Perhaps you should show her this site to show her the proper care of goldfish. The problem is too many people hold onto the wrong ideas that may have been thought ot be acceptable in the past. I know it's frustrating, but perhaps when she sees your fish healthy she may not mind. It should help her think that you are responsible for taking care of it. A fish is no different front a regular pet if you think about it. Maybe showing her this site will change her mind. Perhaps you should show her water chemistry and let her take care of them for a bit. ;) That's what I did to my mother and she became interested in the fish' wellbeing as well as all of our other pets.

If it was reading 2 to 3 it was probably that high or higher, just keep up with the water changes.

Have no fear, you are doing a good job. It is a learning experience for all of us.

Ugh it's just...okay, how much should I change? I have no real way of knowing what the levels are so how do I know if they are *NOT* high and they are fine?? Please help everytime I change the tank they do that weird floaty thingy. I really think I should just leave them be and add aquarium salt or something.

How much aquarium salt are you dosing?

Another problem could be that you don't know the pH of your tank water and tap water. Your tank's pH Could be higher (which is good. Alkalinity is perfecxt for goldies) than your tap pH (which could be 6.9 or below etc which is acidic and bad.) This could be stressing your fish out and if this was the case you would have to age your water.

The only way to know for sure is with a drop test kit, I left a link above where the freshwater one was 19 dollars :) Much cheaper than the 33 dollar ones at local pet stores. You can try explaining to your mother than instead of only having 15 tests. They last a whole year, so they are much more cost effiecient.

Tay the pH is what I thought about too especially when she mentioned the 'white cover' on the back...

Love_A_Lot maybe you should just do smaller water changes for now (like 25%ish), until you can test your tank pH and tap pH.

Tay the pH is what I thought about too especially when she mentioned the 'white cover' on the back...

Love_A_Lot maybe you should just do smaller water changes for now (like 25%ish), until you can test your tank pH and tap pH.

:exactly I agree do smaller water changes multiple times daily so you don't shock them.

Well guys, all I can say is that I have done all I can to heal my fish. My mom is no longer willing to buy anything else for me. Happily, Love-A-Lot's fin is no longer clamped: it's almost all the way up and she is no longer lingering near the top. I offered her some food because she had not been eating too great and she gulped it down happily. She swims around normally now. Little Hercules is still sometimes going up towards the top but he is following Love-A-Lot around more now and they are no longer up at the top, their fins are up too, and the Pleco is eating an algae wafer. This is exciting for me only because at the pet shop the poor thing looked very hungry and he is slightly skinny. But he is getting plenty of chow now :) I may do a 25% water change tomorrow but right now they seem to be *almost* back to normal (since I can't tell for sure) and I don't want to risk disturbing them. Also, I forgot to add that our filter breaks down nitrate, nitrite and ammonia. I turned off the light because I also heard fish prefer it darker.

I've done everything in my power to help them and that's not to stay I still won't get the test kit (I will try to raise some $$ for it) but I don't want to take any risk. I'll continue doing 25% water changes every other day until I can get the test kit. Thanks for all your help :) You guys are the greatest. Lovie and Hercules may not have made a recovery if I didn't have all your help.

I'll definatley be back ;)

I good thing for you to do would be to read up on the cycle of the tank. Its on the main page of Koko's. I never used to understand all this nitrite/ammonia business but once you read about the cycle the importance of it will make sense. And don't worry about stressing your fish by changing the water. Fresh water is the best thing for them, and as long as you put conditioner in it and leave it out overnight so its temperature matched when you add it then they will not get stressed. They will however get stressed from dirty water. Basically the nitrogen cycle is: goldfish poop turns into ammonia which is deadly to fish, so while the tank is cycling you need to keep the levels down with water changes. The ammonia will then convert to nitrite, which is also deadly, so you need to keep changing the water. You need to do this until both ammonia and nitrite read 0. Then nitrate will start to appear, which is good! this means your tank is cycled, but you should also keep doing regular water changes (at least once a week) to keep nitrates below 10, so that they don't become a problem. Just letting you know so that when you can afford a test kit you will know what readings are good and bad :):) I didn't know anything about fish when i got one either, and started out without a filter etc, but the more you know the more you want your fish to get the best care!

And the thing with your mum, I have the same problem with my parents! Its the same old story "we kept ours in a bowl and it lived for years". As you know, thats not a good place for a goldie to live happily. I just keep on at them, and gradually they are starting to learn a bit more about goldfish (and believing it too) i find that if you back it up with scientific fact and proof that your fish is improving because of your care they should get the message. My parents find it quite interesting now.

Anyway, well done with getting them to feel better again and keep up those water changes :) keep us posted n their progress!

:exactly I couldn't have said what Lizzy said better myself.

Water changes are a must, don't stop changing it because they 'look' better. That may very wlel nto be the case. Until you can get the test kit I would do daily water changes.

Once you show your parents the idea of "Who would want to live in a tiny bowl" And show them HOW BIG THAT THEY GET, they usually will change their minds.

:exactly don't forget that your little fish hasn't grown very well because you kept her in a bowl :(

Not only do daily water changes, but if you are only going to do 25% a time, you are better off doing 2x.

:mytank1::fishtank:

Ok, so, I'll do one water change in the morning and evening, 25%, which shouldn't be hard at all seeing as my tactic is "take out buckets of water at a time" and I can do half the tank in about 5 minutes. And even though the water and stuff probably still isn't fully correct, I would say that the fish perking up is at least a sign I am progresing. They haven't been "floating at the top" in hours, besides the small little "OMG did I see food?!?!" thing that goldfish do ;)\

I have also noted Love-A-Lot's fin is no longer clamped, it's pretty much fully up again. I'll continue with the water changes until I can get a test kit (which my mom approved as long as I won't need much more)

Edited by Love_A_Lot

Fresh water is the best thing for them, and as long as you put conditioner in it and leave it out overnight so its temperature matched when you add it then they will not get stressed.

Well what are they supposed to live in overnight? I only have a small bowl for them, and I don't think the Pleco will like that AT ALL.

I think what lizz meant was to let the water sit out overnight in a bucket. but you don't need to do that if you use a water conditioner (to dechlorinate) - and match the temp with your finger :)

you leave the fish in the tank right during the water changes? just making sure :)

I am happy they look better! Relaxed and perky fins are a very good sign :whatjust:

These pics were taken a few minutes ago:

my-serpentine-mind-albums-other-pets-picture109299-lovie.jpg

my-serpentine-mind-albums-other-pets-picture109297-my-sisters-fantail-goldfish-hercules.jpg

my-serpentine-mind-albums-other-pets-picture109296-my-comet-goldfish-love-lot.jpg

You can see the improvement!! Lovie's fin in that last one was only down for one second: it popped right back up again afterwards. They look so much better! Tomorrow morning I'll do a 25% then in the evening 25% and keep this up until I get the water tester! THANK YOU MILLIONS! :heart:heart

Your doing so good hun :) Your fish are showing signs of being happy :panana

I agree, they are acting so happy :)

they look great! Love a Lot has a gorgeous tail! :heart

I love her tail, it's always been so pretty :) And I like the mix of orange and white!

They look so much better. Good work. :)

You've done well. :) Keep it up and they'll be on the road to recovery.

Thank you!!

I am so glad you guys think I'm doing well because I am really trying. Hercules was "hopping" at the top of the tank gulping air so I offered him some food. He ate it and is doing fine now, swimming around. Thank you so much I luffs you guys!

Do you have any bubblers in the tank?

No, we have one but it's broke.

I'm going to do a 50% once a day instead of 25% 2x a day. I changed it this morning and they are acting fine :)

I would go out and get a couple of bubblers for the tank. That could be why they're gulping at the surface because there may not be much oxygen if the water temperature is warm.

Um...they aren't gulping anymore :undecided: They've stopped since yest, lol, but thanks for the suggestion :) It's nitrite levels but I am sorting that.