Amazing Growth And Now Babies?

pss_gold

Perfect, I have tons of gel food. The batch I made became a lot bigger than I thought it was going to be. I gave a piece to Pete last night and she seemed to love it. I hope her babies do too :D

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok, today the eggs have a chalky look to them. I'm guessing that means baby snails soon. Luckily, I have two pet stores that are interested :D But I still need to pick up the plaster of paris. Shopping tomorrow :D

Oh, and how much plaster of paris do i need and how to I "prepare" it?

Edited by Yuko

Oooohhh...yes! Those eggs are about to crack.:D Did you get the Dap brand of plaster? I just grabbed the small box and then combine it with some pellets. You need pellets, not flakes or anything crumble-like as these ones are such a mess. Then I placed the mix in the ice cube tray and place in the freezer. Ready after an overnight stay.:) The extras are placed in tupperwares and remain inside freezer. Or best do it with the vacuum sealed bags.

I'm going to pick up the plaster tomorrow. Do I mix the whole box? It says it's 4lbs online. I have TONS of pellets so that part is definitely not a problem. This is soooo exciting. I have a net under the clutch to hopefully catch some falling babies so I can get them off the menu of the fish. Do they all hatch at once or is it a layer by layer thing? I can't wait! How long before I can tell what color they are going to be? I guess they'd have to be big enough for me to see them first lol This is going to be awesome xD

They tend to hatch all at once in my experience. The ones in the inner layers will cause the ones on the outside layer to even fall into the water as they attempt to dislodge themselves off the shells. Give it a week before you can easily recognize their colors.:)

Yep. Mix the whole box if you have enough ice cube trays for that job.lol

4 or 5 hatched last night and I bet the rest will hatch today. They're sooo cute :D I definitely don't have enough trays so I'll have to make more as I go along. How much pellet food do I put in? I'm off to the home depot :)

coolies. I dumped a block in the water yesterday after it was solid. I have taken all the fish out except for the cories and otos cuz I'm doing a big prazi treatment on my goldfish. I bought a feeder from a chain lps along with a tele and a tiny pearlscale. I know they don't take that good of care of their fish so it's time to de-fluke. And this way, I don't have to worry about collecting snails; they can just hatch and grow up in the tank with Pete. I'm trying to keep the cories well fed so they don't go snail hunting. I don't think the otos would eat a baby snail but who knows. At least they'll have a better chance at growing up than if the mollies, platy, and goldfish were in there. I know other than the meds, Pete would love it in the big tank now. There's lots algae and a good 4 inch gap of air between the water level and the top.

Alot of the babies seem to have hatched and then just stayed in their egg. I guess they're waiting for the others. The light may have lead to uneven heating so maybe that's why some are hatching at different times. Probably by Wednesday, they'll all be hatched :)

OMG I just found another clutch of eggs!! Just as big as the one that's hatching! It's been almost 2 weeks since her first and a littler shorter since her second. Oh well. I guess I'll probably get rid of this one since the other two will be more than enough. x.x

I've never seen cories eat snails. They'll be fine I think. If you see dead baby snails, they just starve themselves. It's just survival of the fittest once they begin to hatch. Not all snails are born to survive. With hundreds, you're bound to end up with only a few dozens in the end so be prepared mentally for several losses.:o

Yep. I'd dispose the latest clutch.

I think it will be ok if some die. I don't want 100% survival, that'd be waaaaaay too many snails. I don't see any in the tank yet. I guess they go down in the rocks and hide and maybe come out at night. At least Pete hasn't laid any more again yet. She probably has an egg laying schedule so I'll have to mark it on my calendar :)

The rest of the babies from the first clutch hatched today. The clutch is now just a half empty shell. I saw about 40 of them along the surface and walls. It must take them a long time to crawl down the glass if they don't fall. I dropped a clump of gel food in there so hopefully the snails will gravitate that way.

On another note, have you ever treated a goldfish for fungus? If so, how did you cure it and does the fungus fall off of the fish? Poor Sophie is getting Rid-Ich+ right now and I might try Melafix in a couple days if it's not gone by then. Also, her tail, where it's most prevalent, is rather brittle and a few slivers fell out when I netted her and moved her to the hospital tank. No one is responding in my other thread and I'm now just praying I got it right. :(

How can you be sure it's fungus? I rarely see fungal infections and most are misdiagnosed. Didyou separate the fish yet? I'd just do 0.3% salt treatment. It helps keep fungal/bacterial infections at bay. Any pics of the affected area?

She was in a badly kept feeder tank until I bought her Thursday. Here's a picture of her poor tail: My link

The tail looks fuzzy ish and there was another patch on her head. I don't know if it's fungus but I had to try something since it was spreading.

There are also small spots on her body but they're really hard to photograph.

Edited by Yuko

Is that your tank or their tank?

There is no indication of fungal infection. It's simply bacterial. I'd just dose 0.3% of salt. You already know the procedure?

The pictures are of her in my tank but now she's in a 2 gallon hospital. I'm slowly raising the big tank to 1Tbs/gallon which I think is 0.3% It's about a third of the way there. So I can just put her back in the main tank and I don't have to worry or should I dose her separately? The big tank is on it's second dose of prazi and is in the waiting stages.

....I just checked on Sophie...she died :cry1

Edited by Yuko

Gaaaaaaaaaaahhh!!! Did you mix the new fish with everyone else?! Groan...I would not have advised that.:o There is plenty of big risks involved.

I'm sorry about the fish.:(

She was only with the others for a max of 24 hours. They're all getting a prazi treatment and salt so if they do manage to catch what she had, the treatment process will already be under way. Mine have all been really healthy. My main 5: Saka, Pierre, Tabun, Waka, and Panera, are all from the same store up by my home town and they've been healthy though two cyclings. Pon and Mari are from the pet store down here so I'm going to keep an extra eye on them.

On another note, the local super store got an earful from me today. Hopefully they'll improve their treatment of the poor fish soon.

Back to snails: I caught Pete flying up today... I'm not sure what that was about. I'm guessing she's using her lung and got a bit too much air in there. It was pretty funny. :)

It's bubbles trapped inside her shell. Don't worry though. It's not that harmful as long as the bubbles don't slip inside the lung which could cause lung collapse (deadly to all apple snails).

Oh no! well I just did a water change and cleaned out the filter so hopefully she wont have to use it as much. There was something odd about the filter though. It had a very not fish like odor to it and the sponge has been stained orange. I'm not sure what that's about. I have added some bulbs to the tank one of them being a lilly that now smells like manure... I took that one out since it's not showing any signs of sprouting. The cories seem happy with the new water. I lost an oto today. Found one of the small Petes trying to eat him D: He was really small so I think he's one of the newest ones. Could he have chocked on a snail? o.O All the other fish seem fine and the water is fine. *shrug* I dunno

Otos don't eat snails and neither snails will hunt for fish. Otos are very sensitive to water quality issues though. Must have been your water. The snails were simply scavenging.

I just thought of a question, would a butterfly loach eat the baby snails? I had ordered one before I had to deal with Sophie and added salt and prazi to my big tank. I read that loaches don't handle salt well and since I'm going to a 0.3% solution, it's probably best not to add it in yet. I think I can ask the store to hold it for a week or so without a problem.

The salt has also taken out the brown algae that was growing on the back wall of my tank. That or James and Lupin ate it. The small tank with the snails cant seem to manage to grow algae again. There's a tiny bit on the plants but none on the glass. The nitrates were at 40 before the water change so I don't know. I'm going to change it more often now that the little buggers have hatched. I can tell they're growing already :3

Butterfly loach as in hillstream loach? They don't eat snails. Salt? They're tolerant to 0.1% but not as high as 0.3%. I wouldn't treat the loach though. It's not necessary.

Psst...I don't eat algae. Ick. Just pulling yer leg, hun. I know you named a molly after me.:bingo: