Amazing Growth And Now Babies?

pss_gold

A couple weeks ago I bought my first golden inca snail and named him Pete. He never really did much for a few days but then he eventually became rather active. I moved on the 18th (during that time the tank was emptied and everyone put in ziplock bags) and he has been in a tank with 2 mollies, a platy, 4 corries, and 3 otos. Along with the live plants I had gotten long before I got Pete. His final destination was supposed to be the goldfish tank after it's cycled but he's really enjoying himself already so I'm fine with him where he is.

Anyway, I looked in last night and looked at Pete really closely since he's really active now and really fun to watch. His shell has grown a half to 3/4 inches since I got him. I can tell because when I got him, his shell was really jagged at the edge and it's easy to see that edge further up on the shell but around his opening is nice clean growth. I'm glad he's doing so well. The otos also help keep his shell clean. :) My water hardness is 75 and the tank is cycled.

Another thing I noticed, well two things (now three >.<), were tiny snails. One is about the size of a pencil eraser and the other about a 4th the size. Just a few minutes ago I found another about the size of the first. The first two are yellow like Pete but this one I just found is more grey. Did Pete have babies? Are they ok to keep? Right now I've taken them out of the tank and put them in another so I can keep better track of them. Pete is the only snail I have and he was in with a lot of dead/inactive/floating snails when I got him.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Yuko,

Golden Inca snails lay eggs outside the water surface. The egg clutches should be pink in color and take 3-5 weeks to hatch. Unless you spotted the eggs beforehand, no, the new snails you're seeing are not apple snails at all. The second link shows a Physas sp. The first link looks like a ramshorn snail to me. Could you please get closer shots? If possible, put it on your finger and take close shots of it from various angles.

Both ramshorns and physas are considered "pests" by many as they do proliferate rather quickly but please bear in mind that they sustain their population effectively when you leave a lot of foods abandoned in your tank thus allowing them to survive. Restrict the supply and they will simply dwindle in numbers. Apple snails can easily outcompete them when apples are kept in numbers (though at the cost of heavier filtration to cope with the piling nitrate). Whether you want to get rid of these new ones, it's up to you. Personally, I like to keep them.

I was hoping they were Pete's but oh well. Yeah, I never saw anything like the egg clutches anywhere so I guess that answers that question.

The bigger of the yellow snails has disappeared so I'm thinking on of the mollies might have gotten him. I just moved the anacharis to the goldfish tank. I just read that it doesn't tollerate salt, oops. I'm dealing with really high nitrites right now so I've added a half tsp/gallon. At least that will take care of snails I guess. I'd bet the goldfish will munch on the small snails if they find them too. My orandas would probably love them.

Pete thinks he's a super snail and kind of jumps off the glass and glides down to the gravel. I've become pretty attached to the now big guy. I really wouldn't mind if he had babies I guess. Will a typical apple snail breed with Pete given I have the right genders? Anything I should look for when picking out the snail? I've got a lot of time until I get another since I've got to make sure both tanks are cycled before adding anything.

If you have the right genders, then, yes, they can breed. Males will have a penis sheath whereas females don't. I wish I can retrieve the picture blog from applesnail.net but the site is down I think. I'll find the blog somewhere else later if I can as I had linked them numerous times before. They must be the same species in order to reproduce however. Different species cannot crossbreed with the exception of Asolene spixi and Marisa cornuarietis.

I prefer to get the snails from breeders IMO. You never know what those in chain stores had gone through.

yeah Pete is a chain store snail. I think I'll either go back to the same store if i can, or go to the marine store in the area since they have a breeder who brings them in from near by. I would like a snail that grows to a decent size so my goldfish can't eat them but have small babies to my goldfish can keep them in check or supply the near by stores with them. I hope applesnails.net comes back online soon.

yeah Pete is a chain store snail. I think I'll either go back to the same store if i can, or go to the marine store in the area since they have a breeder who brings them in from near by. I would like a snail that grows to a decent size so my goldfish can't eat them but have small babies to my goldfish can keep them in check or supply the near by stores with them. I hope applesnails.net comes back online soon.

• 3 weeks later...

Well it turns out Pete is indeed a girl. Laid a huge clutch of pink eggs last night. I think one of my black mystery snails was the father so these babies should be pretty cool looking. Temperature is about 72 so they'll probably take a while to hatch. How long is normal?

Yay babies!

No, canas and diffusas cannot crossbreed. I would hazard a guess that the snail got in contact with males of its own species. They can store sperm for months and when they start laying eggs, they'll continue doing so for months though the fertility rate diminishes.

Except for the Marisa cornuarietis and Asolene spixi, any other ampullarids cannot but the canaliculata complex group is still under debate and study whether they can crossbreed with each other. Considering their similarities, most likely, they can. Diffusas are NOT from the cana complex.

3-5 weeks is normal hatching rate for the eggs. Make sure the eggs remain humid. You can scrape the clutch off, wrap in damp paper towel, place inside the tupperware with holes on lid and let it float on the tank. Keep checking regularly for any changes in egg color. Eggs nearing hatching period should turn white and eventually crumble at the slightest touch.

I think I'm going to leave them where they are and see what happens. Pete is a smart snail and laid them a few inches away from the filter output and where the air kind of circulates and where they're not going to get baked by the light. When I got home today, the black snail was on Pete again. Is it possible that this "mystery" snail isn't really a mystery snail and is instead Pete's kind of snail? They're about the same size. Pete has marks on her shell from him climbing on her.

Here's some pictures of what I'm seeing: Snail Album

Both of your snails are Pomacea diffusa, therefore, they are mystery snails. They are also still apple snails. Golden inca snails fit more accurately for Pomacea canaliculata. Not even your gold mystery snail should be labeled that way because the acceptable norm is that golden inca snails are canas.

The "black" isn't technically black. By formal terms, that would be dark striped purple or dark striped green. Is it purple? If so, it is a DSP (dark striped purple).

Looks like you got a male and a female.;)

Awesome, mystery snails :D The "black" ones seem to be dark blue ish color with brown stripes or the other way around. Pete was from a chain store so maybe I'll correct them the next time I stop in. I'm really excited for the babies. What's your guess on the number of eggs in that clutch? I'm guessing ~300. I don't know how Pete could have that many eggs and still have room for her body. She seems to be doing ok though. :)

My current snail population consists of Pete, two dark mystery snails (1 male), and two small Petes. They're a bit bigger than a dime and probably not old enough to breed yet. My local marine aquatic store said we'd work something out so they'll buy the babbies off of me and sell them. Though I don't know how he'd sell 300 snails so I'm also going to try to sell them around my campus for a dollar per snail. Should be lots of fun xD

The physas is still hanging around. He keeps growing and I think he's having trouble dealing with such a big shell. Sometimes he looks like he's going to fall out. He's climbing around on the "black" snails now. He's so funny. My otos keep my snails nice and clean and my corries clean up after them.

The management turns our heat on October 1st so I'll be able to keep it nice and warm for the little ones. Any tips on raising tons of little snails? I have a 8 gallon rubbermaid container kind of ready to go, just need a filter.

250-400 eggs. o_O Believe me for those who cannot sell the babies later on, I'd chop that clutch in half and dispose the rest while just hatching a few dozens. It's a PITA to raise hundreds of adult snails.:krazy:

Has the physas produce eggs yet? The eggs are clear sacs like snot hanging on glass and plants. If not, I guess the lack of mate prevented sperm exchange that would otherwise trigger it to spawn.

Yes, to raise snails, do daily water changes, feed flakes as a good start and keep temp at 78 degrees consistently. Flakes and algae are best used at this point. They can't chew on pellets. You can supply plaster of Paris blocks from Dap brand obtained in Home Depot. They'll eat those little by little for their shells.

Yeah I've read horror stories about snails x.x I haven't seen any snot lol I'd bet if the little guy did lay anything, it'd get eaten by the mollies, platy, or the new 1 inch goldfish who is temporarily visiting. They're all really thorough.

I'm using r/o water so I add the hardness back into it. I accidentally made it super hard xD I have a piece of cuddle bone sitting in the filter to add some extra calcium to the water. I'm guessing raising that many snails in a 15 gallon tank would be a bad idea. I'll put plaster of paris on my list of things to get. For some reason, I haven't been able to grow any algae so I've been feeding them algae wafers which they love. Would raw or blanched veggies work too?

How long do mystery snails typically live?

Raw veggies work for adults but not for newborn snails. It's still tough for them but you can always blanch them anyway and leave for 24 hours. Remove leftovers.

2 years is typical for diffusas. Even shorter if temperature is high. High temp just ages them very quickly. Even if it encourages fast growth, the shells also get ridiculously brittle.

Snails don't care if the water is very hard. Just keep it high for the sake of their shells.

Edited by Lupin

Pete laid another luckily smaller clutch of eggs last night... and I caught the black snials mating... and then the black and the small yellow... I think I need to get that boy out of there asap! As soon as my goldie tank is ready, he's going in.

I just got back from showering and he was on Pete again!! I grabbed him and stuck him in another container for now. :krazy:

Haha! That's hilarious.:krazy: Honestly though, once the male already copulated with Pete, there's no stopping Pete. They store the sperm for several months. Up to you if you want to freeze or crush the new egg clutches. I'd do that a week or two after it was laid before any eggs start developing into snails.

Turns out BOTH of the black snails are men!! Caught the other one on Pete last night. I think I'm going to let these two clutches hatch and if she lays any more, I'll have to take some egg destroying action. Winter is coming so maybe she'll slow down just a little. Once every 3 days is a little crazy. I'm guessing if I let the water cool down to like 70 after the eggs hatch, it might slow to once a week? lol Even that would be nice. She was kept in 72 water in my basement before I moved to my apartment and started this egg laying.

The man snails are helping the 7 gallon rubbermaid i bought for the babies to cycle. Luckily my tap water has 3ppm of ammonia so starting with high levels is no problem. They have prime to keep them safe and probably about 15x filtration since I have two filters running on it. I seeded the media with a couple pieces of biomax from my aquaclear 20 so it shouldn't take too long. I'm doing a full round of testing today on all 3 tanks and doing water changes. My goldfish tank probably still isn't cycled. :/

Keep the males away for a few weeks. She needs a break. Constant copulation will kill her.:(

No, I think keep the routine normal and just destroy eggs that are laid.

Edited by Lupin

She hasn't laid any more eggs yet, Yay! lol Yeah the men were really aggressive but it's given me a chance to separate my male mollies and platy and give them a rest too. My black molly had started looking really terrible the past couple days. He and the dalmation molly fight and the platy breaks it up but then the platy follows the black molly around obsessively. The black molly is enjoying his alone time now. The dalmation is with the male snails and the platy is visiting the goldfish now that the tank is almost cycled. Nitrites dropped from about 6 to .5ppm in the last few days. Finally! :D

Pete seems to have calmed down and I got the chance to hand feed her yesterday. She's my favorite snail of all time <3 I'll do my best to make sure another male snail never goes near her until maybe this time next year. I want her to live as long as possible. :) Thank you so much for your help. I'll keep you updated because once these babies hatch, it'll get really interesting really fast. :krazy:

Can I feed the babies gel food?