Second Hand Tank Not Used For A While...

Did you observe the tank before setting it up for several days to see if it leaked? I'm ready to clean this thing up and get the process rolling, but I'm wondering how those who have purchased second hand tanks went about things.

Thank in advance!

The best way to sterilize it is with bleach. Depending on how big the tank is I use two cups bleach then fill up the rest of the tank with water and run all filters (if you got any second hand with the tank) and equipment in it and run it for an hour. Then I rinse at least three times. Fill up the tank run it overnight, then empty it again and fill it back up and use a triple dose of water condioner and you are good to go.

Can't wait to see pics and hear more about your find.

also a good tip if you have limescale stains (I know I get them in all my tanks), try wetting a cloth with vinegar - it works really well and with minimum scrubbing :) just make sure you keep the cloth nice and wet.

can't wait to see it

I have done the bleach method with a used tank as well. Made me feel better about adding fish to it. Ran it all night (filter running) and the house smelled so bleachy clean in the morn!

Thank you so much everyone! :heart I'm going today to look for a metal stand and then start the leak testing in the basement. Once it's (hopefully) passed without leaking, I'll use the bleach. I'm also looking for filters on eBay. Can't wait to get Herman set up in the new aquarium. It's difficult to wait!

Yup yup definitely do the leak test first. That way you can avoid any problems when your fish is in there.

Try looking for aquaclears on ebay. They should be cheaper there and they work very well :D

Thanks Haruka! I'm going to keep the Whisper to use in a QT if and when we decide on getting Herman a tank mate. I was actually looking at aquaclears, they seem to be the smartest choice for the price. :)

I never use soap on anything having to do w/ cleaning my tanks-nothing that is harmful to my fish. I would use the vinegar too. And,you do know to dry the tank in the sun if you use bleach?

Got it! Check for leaking over several days, bleach and run filter with accessories in tank, rinse, rinse, rinse, dry in the sun, Scrub with vinegar, rinse, rinse, rinse, add filtered extra-dechlorinated water and wait! How's that sound? :)

Indeed! Is there a certain soap I should use to clean the cover, light etc with? There seems to be some whitish areas under the dust.

Most of the time using the vinegar will clean the cover and lights.

There are some water stains you can't get out of the glass also.

My father is a glazier and says its just and age thing.

I also like to mix bi-card with a bit of water to make a paste when cleaning the tank.