Sign in to follow this  
Sakura

Momo Pineconed Again

I don't think so, the vet didn't see any parasites at all in the microscope scrape. But I guess you never know. I guess the parasites could have been there, but then when I treated with Copper they died.

Isis didn't act too stressed at the vet. She did really well with the shot, the only thing that was stressful was the aspirate because she was out of the water for a while for that and being held a little more tightly. She sat on the bottom afterward, but when we turned the bubbler back on, she got up :)

She looks the same today, no change :( I was hoping for a slight improvement, but maybe It will just take some time.

On her belly at the bottom you can see the scales sticking out. That angle doesn't show it the best, but you can still see it a little. She is not as pineconed as Momo was, but it's still all over her and the vet saw it too.

At least you aren't dealing with something bacterial and parasites. That is good news. And I have heard so many good things about Baytril...fingers crossed for my favorite pretty fish.

I don't think so, the vet didn't see any parasites at all in the microscope scrape. But I guess you never know. I guess the parasites could have been there, but then when I treated with Copper they died.

Isis didn't act too stressed at the vet. She did really well with the shot, the only thing that was stressful was the aspirate because she was out of the water for a while for that and being held a little more tightly. She sat on the bottom afterward, but when we turned the bubbler back on, she got up :)

She looks the same today, no change :( I was hoping for a slight improvement, but maybe It will just take some time.

Hopefully you'll see some improvement towards the evening. After such an ordeal, she definitely needs time to recuperate. Fingers crossed.:)

How is Isis doing?

Some improvement I hope

I know that Sue had a fish, Chase (and I think he is still alive), have difficulty with the dropsy swelling going down. But with daily water changes he is still living...so there is hope for Isis yet.

Here's how Isis looks today. Comparing it with a photo from a week ago, she is definitely more bloated :( She's still acting pretty normal though and eating well. The vet says keep going with the injections and we'll talk about next steps once the full course is done. She says surgery is an option if there is some kind of mass in her abdomen, but surgery on a fish her size is not likely to go well.

g001.jpg

Interesting about this surgery she recommended for a fish this small. I don't personally agree with that but she knows better than I do anyway having studied the options. I've never heard though of vet cases where a surgery to remove the mass in her tummy is done to a small fish.

I'm so sorry Isis is still under the weather.:(

No, she didn't recommend it. She said it was an option, but she wouldn't necessarily recommend it because the fish is small. I might consider an x-ray though, because I'm dying to at least know what is going on.

She does look more bloated, but the fact that she is acting fine seems unusual. I wonder what could be happening with her.

Dr.House always acted totally normal when she got dropsy! :) Did she check for parasites? Those would be the only thing the shots don't cover? That and organ failure?

Yep she checked for parasites and didn't find any. So it could either be kidney failure caused by infection, or some type of abdominal mass. I think it would have to be something infectious and contagious that causes abdominal masses though because so many of my fish were affected with these same symptoms all at the same time. :undecided:

The vet said Baytril is extremely broad spectrum, so I don't think so :(

Ugh. Today is not such a good day for Isis I guess. She kept drifting over to the filter intake and letting herself get sucked onto it, so I had to put her in a breeder box. She could get un-stuck when she wanted to, but her fins were getting a little worn down so I had to sequester her. She's still pretty bloated as well. Poor girl. :( She still ate like a little pig just now.

I just hate using the breeder net so much, because every time I've had to use it for a fish they ended up dying. Not because of the net itself, just because having to use it says something about how badly they're doing I guess.

Sakura, I'm so sorry this is continuing to go on. :( The good news is that she's eating though. She wants to pull through for you and the fact that she can get off the intake when she wants to. I hope the baytril works soon. Have you talked to your vet recently?

Thanks Tay :heart

Yeah I talked to the vet (emailed) a couple of days ago. She says there's nothing more we can do basically but keep up the Baytril and hope it helps. She wants to talk again once the Baytril is over (there are three injections to go) and then see where to go from there. In my opinion, the Baytril should be helping by now if it was going to at all, so I think it looks pretty bleak :undecided: But for now she is still here, so who knows :idont

Yes this seems like a hit or miss. She seems to be a strong girl too since she's eating so well. Did you e-mail Ken about this too? I really do wonder what's causing this. Perhaps the last injection will do the trick?

I emailed Ken back when Momo and the others were all beginning to get sick. Since he wasn't able to be here himself and do scrapes and stuff, he seemed kind of at a loss. But he recommended I try Coppersafe which I did. In all his experience, full blown dropsy always ends in death, so he didn't have much hope for any of them. I think he is probably right about that.

I think polycystic kidney disease is involved here. Basically renal failure. Is the tummy very soft? Skin looks thin? I can't find my reference to PKD in another forum. I'll do my best to find it though. There isn't much to hope for once PKD is involved. Not even copper sulfate will help any more than Baytril can.

Edit: By second or third shot, it should have better improvement.

Edited by Lupin

I think that is something the vet mentioned. But no, the belly is not soft and the skin is not thin..

Ken suggested the copper sulfate for the other fish a few weeks ago just because he thought there might be some parasite in the tank.

I think that is something the vet mentioned. But no, the belly is not soft and the skin is not thin..

Ken suggested the copper sulfate for the other fish a few weeks ago just because he thought there might be some parasite in the tank.

An xray would probably do better, Sakura.:( As long as the belly doesn't get soft or squishy, PKD hopefully wouldn't be the issue. I don't think there is a cure for PKD because that involves filling up of fluids inside the belly and waning of kidney tissues. I've never heard of PKD cases having 100% recovery. The fish in question always dies after a day or two.