Momo Pineconed Again

Sakura

The three in the main tank look pretty good. I think some illness was brought in when I moved Ino and Padme (fish from the koi show) into the tank because they have been pretty much unaffected. It seems like they were carrying something that they had immunity to, but the others didn't. Except for Toad it seems. They are all lethargic lately, but I think that might just be because of the cooler temps lately. I'll have to add a little heater soon just so it doesn't drop too low overnight.

Isis is acting like she feels GREAT and the red blotch is now totally gone. BUT, her scales will not go down! I'm not sure what to do about that. They're not getting worse, and maybe they are even going down very slowly, but they still stick up a bit. It seems odd because I think she is at about day 4 or 5 of this treatment, and it's only a five day treatment. :undecided: It says the treatment can be repeated once, but I'm not sure if that means immediately, or to give a break between treatments.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh poor Isis! I am happy she is acting fine tho :)

Maybe you need to treat her from inside? Could it be eggs??? hmmm...

Cause the other fish seemed to have gotten something way more aggressive than what she has?

Hey Sakura, I saw you entered Isis for the POTW - is she good now?!?! :)

Hugs to all your gang - hope they are all healthy and happy.

Nah she's not better yet. I entered an older photo of her for the poll. The maracyn 2 helped the white furuncles and red blotches go away, but she is still pineconed. Yesterday I added epsom to the water (the maracyn 2 treatment is over) to try and get the pineconing to go down, but it hasn't helped. I'm going to try to scrounge up the cash and time to bring her in to my vet who treats fish. I plan on speaking to her tomorrow first to see if she thinks she can even do anything for Isis though. It would be a huge waste to bring her in if she thinks her condition is irreversible.

It's going to cost an arm and a leg though, and we're pretty darn broke right now :undecided: I just really don't want to lose her and I trust this vet a lot. She is the vet for the sea turtles at Underwater Adventures in the Mall of America, and she speaks at Koi shows all over the midwest. Her name is Amy Kizer. It would be nice to have some microscope scrapes and bacterial cultures done so we know exactly what we're dealing with here. And if she doesn't find anything, then we know it's internal organ issues, and probably not fixable. I thought I could also bring in the bodies of the ones that died for her to inspect if that helps.

I talked to her today, and I think it might be too expensive. :( She wants $70 just for the exam (includes microscope scrape) and then another $24 to aspirate some fluid. Any x-rays would be an additional $82. I wish we could afford it, but I don't think we can. She also said that with dropsy cases the diagnosis is "guarded" aka not good. So we might spend all that money and not even be able to do anything about it.

Today Isis looks worse, the white furucles along her lateral line are coming back. Her color has faded over the past week or two, and she is still pineconed. The epsom isn't helping. I'm not sure what to do, and honestly school has me so frazzled right now that I don't really have time to do anything. :undecided:

I have what might be a little of a far out idea-but it comes from my belief that there is something in your water. How about filling a 10 gal tank w/ distilled or bottled water,and see if she doesn't get any better. Where I am,I think distilled is about $1/gal. This way if it is the water,the agitate will be removed-but you would have to buffer it w/ something to hold the cycle. I'm just trying to think of anything I canundecided.gif

I don't think that's too far-out of an idea Susan! I would totally do it if I had more time. I'm not suspecting the water as much anymore now though. (Loki, my betta, and my bullhead have been totally fine in this water) The small fish store nearby doesn't have any water quality issues, although I guess it could be in my pipes, not the water itself. But actually I'm thinking something was introduced into the tank either by Fuu or by the two new fish. Or both. I'm thinking this because the symptoms they're showing are exactly what Fuu always showed when she got sick. Also, I think the problems really started getting bad sometime after I added Padme and Ino (I had to cut their QT short), and Padme and Ino have been unaffected this whole time so it seems like something they might be immune to. That's my current thinking anyway.

I think I'm going to bring Isis in to my vet even though it will cost a bomb. I have some savings money that I shouldn't use, but I suppose I will. So hopefully I can bring her in on Friday. Cross your fingers that it's a good prognosis and that it's not kidney failure!

Edited by Sakura

I just got back from the vet with Isis. First the vet felt her tummy to see how bloated it felt, and it wasn't really that bloated. Then she aspirated some fluid from her abdomen with a needle and looked for bacterial or white blood cells under a microscope. She also looked at the red bumps under Isis' eye under the microscope. She did not find any parasites or bad bacteria (although she didn't have that great of a sample from the aspirate) but she did find some white blood cells. The white blood cells could either indicate just the inflammation, or an infection of some sort. So she gave one injection of Baytril (broad spectrum antibiotic) and I am supposed to give her one injection every three days. As you guys know, I am super queasy with needles, so we'll see if I'll be able to :rolleyes: If not maybe my hubby will or I can bring Isis back to have the vet do it. But she showed me how so I know how at least, and I'll try it.

She said the prognosis is very guarded, but the antibiotic injection was about the only thing she could try and it might possibly help. Isis was such a good sport through all the poking and prodding :heart

Poor sweetie. :heart I really hope she will improve, you are really doing everyhting you can to give her a fighting chance. :heart I'll be thinking of you both and hoping for the best. :hug

Thanks guys!

Here is Isis tonight, the red spot is the injection site. She lost a scale during the injection, and that's to be expected. Poor girl is going to be missing so many scales after this treatment is over. But the good news is you can see a tiny start of a scale growing back right in the middle of her body (the light spot) from when I accidentally scraped one off a few weeks ago. So at least they will grow back. She also has a red spot on her belly from the aspirate needle. Poor girl :( My husband and I both think her color is much paler than before, and the vet said her gills were very slightly pale.

p.s. the vet was impressed by how pretty Isis is :)

010.jpg

Edited by Sakura

oh poor thing :( I hope she didn't get too stressed at the vet! It must be so strange for them.

Good luck with the shots! how deep does the needle go? :o

I hope Isis can pull through and with those injections she will definitely gets a fighting chance. Makes me wonder whether there could be an outbreak of Nematodes in your aquarium where Prazi failed to rid of ??:idont