Sign in to follow this  
Sakura

Momo Pineconed Again

I'm in the middle of water changes, so this will be quick. Momo was pineconed for a while a couple weeks ago, and his scales went down by feeding him Jungle AP food. He was perfectly normal for a week, and I added Fuu to the tank. She started to pinecone (she has a history of this), so I removed her. Now today Momo is pineconed again. So I don't know if Fuu passed something to him or if it's the same thing he had reoccurring again. What should I do?! I seriously cannot QT him. I have all three 10g tanks used up right now, PLUS Fuu is QTed in the 29g tank. I'm not putting him in a tub, because I don't trust those plastics anymore.

ammonia: between 0 and 0.25, closer to 0

nitrite: between 0 and 0.25, closer to 0

nitrate: around 10

(there was a slight cycle bump)

pH: stable 8.4

50% water change every four-five days

75 gallon tank with 1000gph filtration, two bubble wands, and 6 medium sized fish.

Oh No Poor Momo and Poor Fuu :( Any chance you could treat the two together? Or get a divider for the 29 and treat them separately?? Sending speedy healing wishes your way :)

Thanks Shell. I don't think so, because Fuu's set up is very specific to her needs, and I don't think Momo would do well in there. Plus I don't want him coming into contact with her any more than he already has.

Poor Fuu is getting all the blame! :heart

how long and what regimen did you use for Momo? (of the AP?)...

No no I don't blame Fuu, I just want to be cautious. Momo is my most precious fish :(

For Momo I did a full 14 days straight of the AP food. That ended about a week ago and his scales have been nice and flat since then. He has been gulping at the top a little bit (not all the time) but then I realized there was a cycle bump so I assumed he was gulping because of the cycle bump.

maybe you should try the 3days a week (for 4 weeks) Jungle parasite regimen instead of 14days straight? it's weird it came back darn.

Is Momo fully pineconed? Is there a way to feed Momo the AP food in the main tank? I lean towards thinking though that if it came back and you used the AP food before, maybe you should use the gel food you made for Fuu? These are a bit of bigger guns and it may be easier to feed in the main tank and make sure no one else gets any.

That's exactly what went through my head Amy :) I just started everyone in that tank on the metro gel food tonight. They are all acting poorly, although Momo's the only one who is pineconed. He is almost fully pineconed. The scales are not straight out, but more of a 45 degree angle to the body, if that makes sense.

I also added Prazi to the tank tonight, but not quite a full dose because I ran out.

i'm sorry this is happening again sakura.. my thoughts are with you hun..

Momo is still pineconed today, and it looks like Peach is bloated a little bit and may start to pinecone soon as well.

Momo's tail fin is also ragged looking. Not split down the rays, but like it's been eaten away. The edges are all clear/normal looking, with no weird edging. Everyone in the tank is acting off. It's depressing :( They are still getting the metro gel food. I really don't know if that's enough, but I sure hope it is. Anything else I should be doing?

I find it ironic that my only healthy goldfish right now is the little baby from pet*co, Loki.

I am really starting to wonder if you have some bug in your tank. All of these fish have been together or in the same tank at some point, right? But your new moor is fully qt'd. I am really starting to wonder if it might be a good idea (though a heck of a lot of work) to sterilize all of your tanks. I don't think you should throw out your cycle like I did, so you are risking a chance of something still hanging on in your filter media, but getting a thorough sterlization of everything else may be worth it. And probably keeping everyone on the metro food is a good idea.

Have they all been salted and prazied? I'm sure they have, but I am just tyring to walk through this.

i am supporting amy's suggestion - sounds like a good plan.

Amy, what would be the point of sterilizing the tanks if I keep the filter media unsterilized? If there is some bug in the tank, wouldn't it just keep living in the media that wasn't sterilized? It seems like too much work anyways. :( I have school starting up again next Tuesday and I just can't see sterilizing everything. Especially since it seems pointless since I'd be keeping the filter media unsterilized. Know what I mean?

They have all been Prazied, but not salted.

I took cycled media from the main tank for the new moor without really thinking twice about it. So if there's something wrong with the tank then he should start to show the same symptoms. But he is at .3% salt right now. Today he's acting off, but I suspect he just needs Prazi or a water change.

maybe then just salt the main tank at 0.3%? take any pine-coned fish out. The 0.3% will kill most things. :)

I can't take the pinecone fish out, there's nowhere for them to go :( But in my Yoshi thread Imo said it's okay to salt a fish that doesn't have all-over dropsy. Momo is dropsied on both sides, but it's definitely more so on one side. I could do salt on the main tank, but if I did that I'd have to remove the plants. Then I'd have to re-sterilize them I suppose before adding them back? I still don't think the cycle bump is totally over, so I'm afraid of salting in case it hinders the bb a little.

Also I cannot salt the 75g tank if I have to use Aquarium Salt. It is just too expensive. I have used canning and pickling salt before that was supposedly 100% pure salt, but my fish had a terrible reaction to it, so I know it wasn't pure. So I'm afraid to use anything else. But Kukana mentioned a type of safe salt she uses, and I'm trying to figure out what it was...

No, I think it was something from a hardware store or something... I think I'll PM her and ask.

Oh this makes me sad to read all of this. :( This has to be some sort of bug going on. Maybe I can help look for a site that sells cheap aquarium salt if you can't get the regular kind of salt.

Thanks Tay :) I want to try and buy the salt today because I'm thinking I should start it ASAP. Just waiting to hear back from Susan to see what kind she used. I asked her on Facebook and on here, so she should see it soon. If not I'll just go to the hardware store and ask them if they carry any additive-free salt.

I'm also going to get some buckets to keep the plants in. I don't want them melting because of the salt.

My theory is that if you have a parasite infection happening, killing most of them is a good start. But having just gone through sterilizing and breaking my cycle (you are right, the only way to truly start over clean), it was an immense amount of work and it doesn't sound like a good time to do that.

I am leaning towards the idea of salting everyone to .03% salt for two weeks. That would kill any potential baddies, help the fish breathe easier and is probably the cheapest and easiest next thing to try. I have used Kosher salt from the regular grocery store. It is the only kind I use and it works great.

Yeah it seems like salting everyone is a good thing to try. I really hope it will help! I will look at the Kosher salt Amy. What brand is it that you use?

Since Ken was so sure of the Copper Sulfate working on parasites, and so sure that salt would not work, I decided to treat the main tank with the Coppersafe too. He says he's used it a few times before when fish seemed "off" but he could not identify anything with the microscope. So I thought it would be a good thing to try. These fish came from him (for the most part) so probably a similar treatment plan will have similar results.

Hope it goes well! I started treatment today after a 50% water change and lowering the water to 60 gallons so I don't need to use as much of the Coppersafe. They are still all getting the metro gel food as well. Momo's scales are still sticking out, the poor guy. Everyone else is acting "off", but physically look alright. Except for a little body sore on Ino where a scale fell off. I HPed it several days ago, but it still hasn't gone away. I think it might just be healing still because it is white, not red.

Just a caution about Kosher salt-the Morton Kosher Salt I got at the grocery,in a dark blue box,had an anti caking agent in it,and I did not see that until after I had already opened itdoh11.gif I had assumed that ALL Kosher salt was ok-but it's NOT the caseexactly.gif