Hikari Lionhead

My SakiHikari box was over in august so I opened a fresh bag of Hikari Lionhead which I got at the KoiSHow last weekend. I soaked it like I do all pellets and fed them to everyone last night.

Today Grace is VERY floaty, and so are the Ranchu Twins. EVeryone is pooping empty casings of lumpy brown poop.

SOmething wrong with the food?

I will be opening a fresh pack of SakiHikari tomorrow. But what about this huge bag of food? WHat do empty poop casings mean? I have never seen them like this, usually they are brown...

I also thought constipation. Today is fast day and tomorrow I might do the epson in a pea if they are not better.

they are bigger then the SakiHikari, but sort of more 'compact', like little cubes instead of the longer SakiHikari type. (if that makes any sense!)

Maybe the have different ingredients than the SakiHikari? Making them less digestible? hmmmm

• 3 weeks later...

I just bought some hikari pellets yesterday. No problems yet, but I'll keep you posted.

I've never had floaty problems after feeding any of my fish. But it seems this is an issue for a lot of people, and their fish.

I definitely will keep a close eye on my guys. Not that I don't already.

I've always fed my own goldies with Hikari Lionhead. My fish never had a single floaty issue from this stuff. They did get floaty from other brands that I found to contain high in starch. The Hikari Lionhead is compact and does not expand once soaked.

How big are the goldies? Slow down on the number of pellets. A 4" goldfish should take at least 8-10 pellets. Smaller ones need to be limited to 4-6 pellets only. Better multiple small meals than a few large ones in a day. They're not meant to gorge large amount of foods which will otherwise cause digestive issues.

Hikari Lionhead

Guaranteed Analysis

Crude Protein.......46%

Crude Fat.............6%

Crude Fiber...........5%

Moisture.............10%

Crude Ash...........12%

Features

1. Specially formulated ingredients, including a higher level of necessary amino acids promote superior growth and desirable, true lionhead form.

2. Using Hikari Lionhead eliminates the parasite and bacteria problems normally associated with feeding live foods and gives your pet their best chance of a healthy, long life free of infections or disease caused by these pests.

3. Bio-Technology allows us to provide a diet that helps develop coloration not expected in goldfish raised indoors due to lack of natural UV. This technology also helps prevent fading of your pet's colors over time.

4. High in stabilized vitamin C, Hikari Lionhead helps reduce stress and promotes immunity to infectious disease.

5. A sinking pellet that will not dissolve and therefore does not cloud your water.

Ingredients

Fish meal, wheat flour, krill meal, carotenoid fortifier, soybean protein, spirulina, seaweed meal, enzyme, DL-methionine, monosodium glutamate, garlic, vitamin A, vitamin D3, menadione sodium bisulfite complex, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, pyridoxine hydrochloride, niacin, calcium pantothenate, biotin, choline chloride, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate, inositol, manganese sulfate, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, calcium iodate, cobalt sulfate, magnesium sulfate, aluminum hydroxide.

Reviews:

Protein content is just right for young goldfish. So far, this product has rave reviews especially as this is a sinking type thus most goldfish are less likely to have swim bladder issues from the air they ingest from feeding on the surface. Added protein also increases growth rate of the wen growth by orandas and ranchus as is designed specially for both variants although it will work equally well with those that do not have wen growths. Less starch content in comparison to other products of the same brand.

One of the Saki products.

Saki-Hikari Fancy Goldfish Color Enhancing Diet

Ingredients:

Wheat-germ meal, fish meal, wheat flour, rice germ meal, gluten meal, wheat bran, alpha starch, dried bakery product, enzyme, brewer's dried yeast, garlic, monosodium glutamate, vitamins and minerals including stabilized vitamin C.

Guaranteed Analysis

Crude Protein........45% Min

Crude Fat...............7% Min

Crude Fiber.............3% Max

Moisture................10% Max

Ash......................20% Max

Phosphorus............20% Max

Which Saki Hikari do you use? I'd have to pull up the other two products. Saki Hikari (particularly this one cited) basically has more starch content than the former. Very strange that the former would cause the issue more than the latter.

I also thought constipation. Today is fast day and tomorrow I might do the epson in a pea if they are not better.

they are bigger then the SakiHikari, but sort of more 'compact', like little cubes instead of the longer SakiHikari type. (if that makes any sense!)

Maybe the have different ingredients than the SakiHikari? Making them less digestible? hmmmm

As high amounts of protein are harder to digest completely, they are also responsible for floaty issues but the difference between the two is only a notch assuming that is what you use. Could you please post the one you have along with ingredients and guaranteed analysis? I wonder if your goldies in particular are sensitive to high protein intake.

Hi Lupin. I haven't fed the Lionhead anymore because the fish who got floaty NEVER have any issues - so it freaked me out a bit.

I am back to the SakiHikari with no issues at all. Very weird. This is the one I feed them.

My link

I find that Hikari Lionhead expands a bit, kinda like 1.5x to 2x the original size when soaked. I always try soaking out new food for half and hour or an hour to see how big and mushy they get. My anti-parasite pellets from GF Utopia expands like mad, even more than the Lionhead.

So what I'm using now is the New Life Spectrum Thera-A 2mm pellets, which the goldies love. After half an hour, there is nearly no expansion to the pellet, it kinda breaks apart in a messy mush instead. So I normally soak for maybe a minute before feeding them, and seeing as how they don't expand, I'm thinking they're not going to cause any expansion in my goldies either. Would that be right? And they're chockful of garlic.

Federica, why don't you A/B the pellets, soak bothe the saki-hikari and lionhead at the same time, and see how much they expand. The difference might be what's causing the floaties.

Edited by j0shua

So what I'm using now is the New Life Spectrum Thera-A 2mm pellets, which the goldies love. After half an hour, there is nearly no expansion to the pellet, it kinda breaks apart in a messy mush instead.

It's the same with Pro-Gold from Goldfish Connection. The pellets don't expand at all if soaked -- they just crumble into bits. No pre-soaking needed.

I don't currently have any floaty fish, but I used to -- and unfortunately they floated on every single pellet I ever gave them.

oh yea I also have a couple floaty fish who get just fresh veggies and gel food. but the Lionhead got NON floaty fish floaty :o

I always soak all the pellets - the SakiHikari doesn't change at all. The Lionhead appeared to inflate a tiny bit. Or maybe it is the pellet size that made the difference? no idea.