If You Could Go Back In Time...

smiley-rpg012.gif

What would you tell yourself when it came time to choose your first tank set up, and why?

What choices would you tell yourself to make?

What lessons do you wish you could save your future self?

(I selfishly ask this question for insight into setting up my first 30 gallon tank. Hee hee.)

Get the biggest tank possible when you start up or you will regret it later. Trust me. Also the bigger you buy in the beginning, the more money you save in the long run. Never start off small.

Always have extra filters, quarantine tanks, and a full medicinal arsenal, and gravel is a no no.

Always do your research and don't overfeed!

If I could go back in time, I would tell myself to join Koko's before shopping for anything, tank equipment or fish. I could have saved myself a lot of money, time and headaches if I'd found this place a couple of months earlier, lol.

20 gallons for first goldfish and 10 gallons for each after for fancy goldfish. Cause that little wiggle room is worth it if you need to go on vaction, one turns out to be a monster, or in cause you have a boil water notice or have no water at all for a few days/weeks. Also cause most tanks hold less then advertised. My 55 only holds 42 gallons.

Good luck with your new tank.

Started with red eared slider mistakes. First of all they belong in lakes. Learned everything from him! Did good with my goldfish.

I would have said one phrase to my younger self. "Ammonia Poisoning"

I would have set up a kiddie pool in the garage until I found a pond for the 12-14 rescue fish I brought home.

I would have re-homed T.F. and his buddies to that big happy pond before killing almost everybody.

On tanks, even though the initial investment in a large tank is huge, it saves a heck of a lot more money and stress over upgrading. This mantra would have been very hard for me to accept as a newbie. If I could have all of the money I spend on temporary fixes back, it'd be a 100 gallon tank sitting in my living room, instead of a 29 gallon tank tucked into the kitchen!

But most importantly, I think I would have spoken up about the group holding the game giving out goldfish as prizes. If I had known what I know now, I'd make sure they knew just exactly how inappropriate using animals as prizes is. I'd have told them about the fate countless fish where to meet at the hands of irresponsible and or under-informed teenagers. If I could go back in time I'd march up to the booth and tell them how I unintentionally killed a bunch of goldfish that no body had wanted (or threatened to eat) because they didn't bother to think the idea through or do a little research.

Wow, sad memories. I still feel intensely guilty for the mistakes I made as an under-informed newbie with a well placed heart. I feel a little ripped off, too. When you sign on for goldfish in the beginning, you do not anticipate their care requirements. I'm a little fed up with the false advertising. If the short-lived-bowl-fish stereotype where to be defeated, many a fish could be spared an untimely end.

After my experience with the rescues, I learned never to adopt a pet (no matter how simple pet stores promise their care is) without doing extensive research and or seeking out a friendly online community with whom to share my adventures! I also try to educate and advocate for misrepresented pets when given the opportunity

(Pssst, Koko: I would buy a bumper sticker that read "Got goldfish? Get Koko's!" and then had the forum address.) and have gained a life long appreciation for the underdogs of the domestic animal world.

Striving for their proper care and keeping in the face of grievous misinformation gives me pride and as much satisfaction as having the pet itself.

This is a GREAT topic. I think it serves as a collection of hard won advice that will prove invaluable to new keepers!

(Pssst, Koko: I would buy a bumper sticker that read "Got goldfish? Get Koko's!" and then had the forum address.)

OMG THIS WOULD BE SUCH A GREAT IDEA!!!!!! would TOTALLY put that on my car!

Thank you everyone for your responses! I'm really enjoying reading everyone's advice to their future selves!

Cafe Press is a great place to have custom items created by the way! :)

I would have not given all My fish equiptment away in 1978,when I moved out of My parents house at 24 years old.

It took years to be able to afford it again.

Im making up for lost time .

• Admin

i have a few bumper stickers left... the problem is i dont have cafe anymore cause it was costing me money to keep the site going and not many people were buying stuff... Ill check and see how many I got left :)

Thing i wish was there was a place like this when I got my fish, this way Sherman wouldnt have died :(

• Supporter

i have a few bumper stickers left... the problem is i dont have cafe anymore cause it was costing me money to keep the site going and not many people were buying stuff... Ill check and see how many I got left :)

Thing i wish was there was a place like this when I got my fish, this way Sherman wouldnt have died :(

koko, do you have the diary too? i would like to buy one.

As for myself I would have gone to koko's first to do my research before I set up my first 55 gallon tank, and of course gained insight on how to cycle my tank as well as the filtration/stocking guidelines. ;)

• Supporter

i have 2 bumper stickers left. Kinda like a collectors thing now :lol

Diary? you mean like if i have one?

yeah.. i recall when i came back to koko's i scaled the boards and one day i came accross a shop kinda thing and i saw that there was a folder/diary/log book, i can't remember specifically which one it was.. but i remember thinking that i want one and noted to check to see what else there was as i am in OZ and the postage would be more worthwile to do a multi purchase.. so i left it a few weeks, and when i went back to look, the shop was gone :(

• Admin

i have 2 bumper stickers left. Kinda like a collectors thing now :lol

Diary? you mean like if i have one?

yeah.. i recall when i came back to koko's i scaled the boards and one day i came accross a shop kinda thing and i saw that there was a folder/diary/log book, i can't remember specifically which one it was.. but i remember thinking that i want one and noted to check to see what else there was as i am in OZ and the postage would be more worthwile to do a multi purchase.. so i left it a few weeks, and when i went back to look, the shop was gone :(

Yeah i had to take it down cause it was costing me money and well no one was really buying anything... But if people really want the Bumper Stickers i can make more :)

• Supporter

I would have not purchased the 5 gallon for 199.00 :cry1 such as wastee...

and join kokos earlier...

OMG girl.. 5 gallons for $199 :yikes ! they sure saw ya coming!! :pp .. LOL.. seriously.. what a rip off!!.. i paid $500 for the 66gal with cabinet and canope ;) .. all i had to do was buy the filters & the fish!

• 3 weeks later...

Hmmm... I'd tell myself:

A. goldfish are NOT party favors!

B. GO TO KOKO'S

C. commons require at LEAST 20 gal each

D. UG filters are HORRIBLE to clean :krazy:

E. overfeeding is easy, cleaning up the tank afterward is not

F. yes, goldies are coldwater fish, but a heater can help hold a STABLE temp in winter