Sign in to follow this  
paw-paw

Weird Goldie Behaviour

Hi!

I have been looking for comet goldfish for a very long time, they are really not easy to get where I live (we do not even have feeder fish and all the goldies they sell are either fancy or common)...So I was happy to find them in one of our stores and bouht 3 immediately - they are going to a pond that already has some commons in it. Anyhow - they are beautifull and all but...

as a precation I put them in 14 gallon quarantine tank (they are very small) along with a filter from another tank (old media) just to avoid bringing any disease...The fish look healthy, no clamped fins or anything and are eating OK. But otherwise they are more or less swimming in the same place or laying on the bottom of a tank. So I am worried there is something going on here...My commons were swimming back and forth when they were in quarantine, acting very lively and I never saw them resting on the bottom except when the lights were off. So why are these comets so calm - I would understand if they were fancies but they are not so should be like hyper.

Anyone has any idea? I have had them for 2 days now so they should have settled by now...Please help, I just don't know what to do anymore, I don't want to transmit any disease or something to my other fish but I can't keep them in that tank too long :(

Do you ever treat them as a preventative for anything while they are in QT? Have you ever tried salt?

And even with cycled media, you don't always have an instant cycle so you may want to check your water params.

hello paw-paw, it's been a few days now, how are your new gold fish?

did you test the water? have you added salt as our members suggested?

helen

I am happy to report that the comets are doing fine now :)

I tested the water and all the stats were fine but I changed 50% of the water anyway and added some salt and after only one day they started to act a lot more lively. They are feeding like piggies now and come for the food when I open the lid (they were scared of me at the begining).

There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with them anymore (well except you know...they would appreciate more rome :) )but I am going to keep them in that tank for a while longer...

I hope I can get some decent pics of them tho I am not sure about that - I only have a phone camera which is not good :(

One of them is mostly white but has red dorsal fin and a red patch over his/her head, one is orange and one red with white tips on the tail. They are all beautifull :) I still have to name them tho - any suggestions :)?