Sign in to follow this  
lizz87

Red/bleeding Anus?

aaaaaaaaaaaaagh podge's fungus had got bigger, and he is still bottom sitting. What can I do?! I have put the salt to .2 ... Thinking about giving the tank a big clean out tomorrow or friday, as I have been having a little problem with brown algae... maybe there's some bad bacteria in there or something. Poor Podge, I feel like a bad goldfish mummy today :(

Yes definitely clean out all the brown algae. I have had problems with that stuff in the past too, I think it makes a good home for bacteria or maybe even fungus to grow in. But make sure you don't clean your filter media. How are the params looking? Could you post those again? Keep going with salt at .2% for now. I'm not sure if you can swap HP with fungus, but if you can (someone else will have to confirm) that might help.

OK, where can I buy hydrogen peroxide from if I need it? Yeah that darn algae... I wipe down the sides but I think there is still some on the gravel and floor of the tank. I checked params tonight, they're pretty much the same, ammonia and nitrite 0, nitrate 1 (did 50% water change yesterday)... Podge has periods of swimming around and periods of bottom sitting, which I know is abnormal because he usually swims around pretty much constantly! darn fungus. Thanks for the help, will report back once I've changed the water or if anything changes.

You can buy HP from pretty much any grocery store or pharmacy-type store. It's the same stuff people use to clean cuts and scrapes. Here in the US it's normally in a little brown bottle.

Bit scared to use hydrogen peroxide :( does it hurt them? I've never touched my fish before, and Podge is quite small, I don't want to hurt him :( plus, the patch of fungus is on the upper side of his pelvic fin, could be hard to get... I don't know, I'm scared! Any tips? (I haven't bought any yet)

Are there any alternatives? Eg putting the salt up to .3, or any meds I could add?

Thanks

I think the HP swab is best because it will target the problem area without causing stress overall. If he's not used to being handled, it might be difficult, but as long as you are gentle you won't hurt him. Just go slow, and remain calm. The HP does not hurt them as long as it doesn't get in their eyes or gills.

Is the patch of fungus still there with no change?

Hey Lizz. :) How is that fungus looking, the same or worse? If it hasn't progressed maybe you could up the salt to.3. That should help get rid of the fungus. I understand how about being nervous of doing a swab especially if Podge isn't used to being handled.

Could you maybe post a picture of his fungus?

The fungus sorta looks the same, I don't think its any bigger but it definitely hasn't reduced in size. I will get a pic tomorrow morning (its 11.30pm in the uk now) when its daylight cos it shows better then.

Yeah I am a bit nervous about it, but I will obviously do it if I have to. Tomorrow I'm going to give the tank a really good clean in case there's any bacteria in the gravel. And I'll put the salt up to .3%. Will let you know how it goes... Thanks

DSCF1401-1.jpg

Here's the pic. Today it looks very different to yesterday. It was like a cottony ball, but now it appears to be hanging off. Not sure whether this is good or bad?

did you clean the gravel well?

I can't see well on the pic, but it isn't a piece of the fin hanging off? maybe the fungus is falling off?

anyways - salt 0.3 HAS to help! sometimes these little spots are so hard to get rid of! Grace has a TINY one in her mouth and it seems impossible to get it away!

The picture is rubbish but the best I could get, he moves really fast! It looks like the ball of fungus is coming off, but I don't know if a bit of the fin is coming off with it! Hard to tell. Haven't changed the water yet, but when I do I will add salt to .3 and rinse the gravel as well as scrub the tank walls... I won't touch the filter though. How long can you leave the salt at 0.3?

I think you can try and leave it until you see some results. If there is no change in a couple of days you might have to check something else.

Just wanted to add here that if the fungus does fall off it might make a bit of the fin fall off too. As long as the rest of the fin looks clean that is okay the salt will help the fin heal. :)

Just wanted to add here that if the fungus does fall off it might make a bit of the fin fall off too. As long as the rest of the fin looks clean that is okay the salt will help the fin heal. :)

Oooh OK, I hope that means its healing then! Thanks! I've done a big scrub out of the tank, and he seems a lot happier, the salt is still at .2 and I'll see how he looks tomorrow to see whether he needs more.

The fungus appears to nearly be completely gone! Yay! He's swimming around a lot more too. How long should I keep the salt in?

That is great news! I would keep it in about five more days after you see the fungus completely disappear. Then decrease it slowly until it's all gone.