Sign in to follow this  
lizz87

Red/bleeding Anus?

Hi guys, I've been away for a while as my goldfish was healthy (yay) and been really busy with work. But this morning I woke to find Podge with a red bottom!! Just where the poo comes out. Pumpkin died a few months ago of what I think was internal worms, as he lost a lot of weight and was pooing weirdly. I thought he may have become infected from Podge who I put in the tank a few months prior. We've had a month of no problems but just this week I have found Podge a little lethargic and taking a long time for his poo to come out. And now this morning he has a red anus. Wondering if he still has internal worms (despite treating with Prazi for 5 weeks) and they are now getting worse? I'm just going to test the water now, but wondered if anyone could let me know what a bleeding/red bum could mean. I have salt ready in a cup at .1 because I thought it could help if there's a wound. In the mean time Podge is about 3 inches, nothing else seems to be wrong with him apart from a little lethargic at times, he is in a 20 US g tank with an elite filter... Everything else is fine really apart from the redness... Will write back with params.

Hmm... I wouldn't add the salt just yet. Is it red right exactly where the vent is? Does it seem bulged out in that area? I'm thinking it could possibly be egg impaction, and for that you would want to use epsom salt, not regular salt. Do you have epsom salt on hand? The dosage is 1/4 teaspoon per 10 gallons. Hold off on dosing anything yet until someone else gives advice too, because I could be wrong.

Another thought is that it could be constipation. Have you tried fasting Podge for three days and then "flushing out" his system by feeding peas for a day or two?

Hmm... I wouldn't add the salt just yet. Is it red right exactly where the vent is? Does it seem bulged out in that area? I'm thinking it could possibly be egg impaction, and for that you would want to use epsom salt, not regular salt. Do you have epsom salt on hand? The dosage is 1/4 teaspoon per 10 gallons. Hold off on dosing anything yet until someone else gives advice too, because I could be wrong.

Another thought is that it could be constipation. Have you tried fasting Podge for three days and then "flushing out" his system by feeding peas for a day or two?

Ohh... Could it really be eggs when he/she is on its own? Not that familiar with the whol breeding thing.

I think constipation could be it... I haven't fasted yet but i may stop feeding now.

Yes, females keep producing eggs even when a male is not present. Normally they will produce the eggs, but then re-absorb them into their body. When this happens you will notice odd poos that look like zig-zags and have bubbles in them. Sometimes things go wrong though, and the eggs become impacted, which can lead to serious bacterial infections.

Yes, females keep producing eggs even when a male is not present. Normally they will produce the eggs, but then re-absorb them into their body. When this happens you will notice odd poos that look like zig-zags and have bubbles in them. Sometimes things go wrong though, and the eggs become impacted, which can lead to serious bacterial infections.

Oh dear... Maybe Podge is a she then! I just had a closer look at her bum, looks like the actual anus is red and then the blood is sort of spreading out a little to one side, but looks like this is all happening under the skin if that makes sense. I changed the water 2 days ago 50%. He poops have been normal, but have been taking a while to come out and when they do they are quite long.

That doesn't sound great, but I'm sure Podge can still rebound from this. If I were you, I'd start fasting Podge for three days, and then plan on a day or two of feeding peas only afterwards. Until/unless someone else comes along and thinks you should do something different.

Also make sure you have epsom salt on hand (it's really cheap at grocery stores) in case you need that. Whether the issue is egg impaction or constipation, epsom salt will be needed.

ammonia - 0

nitrite - 0

nitrate- 2 (did a water change recently)

ph 7.8 (same as always)

I think Sakura's idea for a fast is great, and then a feeding of peas might help out. But definitely get that epsom salt on hand too.

I also agree with Sakura fasting a few days followed by peas and hope that's all it is :) Keep the epsom salt on hand just in case,any chance you can get a pic for us??it might be helpful down the road...

Thanks I will fast him then and see how he goes. Not sure if hes a boy or a girl now! I'll take a picture tomorrow, the light isn't very good now

Lizz I'm so sorry Podge is having problems. :( But you are in good hands here so I'll just offer you some moral support. :heart Hopefully the fast and the peas will solve Podge's problem.

Hooray! This morning Podge's bum is back to normal. Well there's no blood, but he swims so fast I haven't been able to tell if its swollen. All I know is, its not red, and thats got to be good. I haven't fed him today. Should I feed some pea tomorrow or do another no food day?

Thanks everyone, will keep you posted.

:D Great news!

I would do another no food day and then the peas just to be on the safe side.

Way to go Podge! :nana

Oh good, that is great news! I agree with Haruka, do one more day of fasting and then peas :)

He looks fine, but is bottom sitting a bit. Maybe he's still a little constipated and needs to rest... cos that bleeding looked a bit horrific, im actually quite surprised that its cleared up! I'm thinking water change and peas tomorrow... what do you think?

He looks fine, but is bottom sitting a bit. Maybe he's still a little constipated and needs to rest... cos that bleeding looked a bit horrific, im actually quite surprised that its cleared up! I'm thinking water change and peas tomorrow... what do you think?

If he's bottom sitting I'd do the water change today. Peas tomorrow sounds good.

I agree with Sakura... good clean water is always beneficial in my opinion :) followed by peas and maybe another w/c :)

Right I'm going to do another big water change today... just noticed that Podge has what looks like fungus on one of his fins! Right on the tip there is a white "cottony" lump. Argh!! What can I do?

i don't think you should worry too much about the fungus. if it doesn't go away on it's own you can add a bit of salt.

I agree with Federica. You can add salt up to .1% (which means 1 teaspoon per gallon of water) if it doesn't improve on its own within a day or two.

Oh OK, so is it not so bad a problem? Phew! Maybe it was brought on by him feeling down from the crazy constipation/bleeding bum. I'm determined to give him a long and happy life! I may salt to .1 when I do a water change today.

Well it could be that he just got a little scratch and that was enough to let some fungus take hold. It may subside on its own, but it certainly couldn't hurt to add .1% salt :)

Have done a big water change and added salt to .1, he looks perkier :)