Gelfood Pellets

devilduck

I did a quick search for this and didn't find anything, I apologise if this has come up before!

This is lifted straight out of the Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Robert Fenner (page 145 if you're interested!)

"Other options include...making it into ingenious berries. The latter is done by diluting the mix with hot water, drawing it up into a turkey baster and squirting it into a basin of ice water, which causes it to gel into convenient berry sized pellets. These can be fed immediately [no setting time! Huzzah!], refridgerated for a day or two, or frozen for longer storage. This is how we used to make 'lobster chow' back in college and is standard procedure for public aquariums and aquaculture facilities."

I'm due to make more gelfood in the next 2-3 weeks and I'm definitely going to try this! I always end up cutting sheets into 1cm squares or smaller and then I have to cut it down into like 1/8s for it to fit in Rusty and Addie's mouths!

I just cut mine into one inch squares and pinch off bite sized pieces with my fingernails. :)

How on earth would one pick out all the tiny bite sized pellets from the bowl of ice water? And they would all stick together when frozen too, wouldn't they?

I'd just pour it into a sieve or something, and I'm not sure how small they'd be anyway. They might stick together but then so do all my cubes, but because they've previously been separated they're easier to split than a solid ball or something. I'd imagine you end up with little pockets of many pellets, like a blackberry, and it splits into little pellets when you throw it in the tank.

I think I'm going to try it with a small portion of my next gelfood mix, so if it doesn't work I've not lost it all.

EDIT: It also says 'berry sized pellets' so I don't imagine they're tiny like Saki-Hikari or anything :)

Edited by devilduck

• Supporter

i've kept all my hikari frozen food trays.. i figure if two portions of that is perfect for my fish, i shouldn't spoil the routine.. so when i get round to actually making the gell food, i can portion it accordingly without have to slice or dice or quit it outta baster just to squirt it into my sink full of ice cubes and really cold water!! :tomuch:

• 4 weeks later...

What if you cut the end off a syringe so as to make a slightly bigger opening, load it up with freshly made gel food, and squirt that into cold water? Wouldn't the end result be a long thin strand of gel which can be cut into goldie-friendly sizes?