Minnows Spawning?

I'm going to put this in here even though they're not technically tropical.

I was about to drain the minnow tank this morning when I noticed a bubble layer on the top of the tank. The filter in this tank had dropped down so the surface was relatively undisturbed. I didn't think much of it until I put a pintglass in the tank to scoop the minnows into and when I took it out some of the bubbles had stuck to the side, they were hard. Do minnows spawn like this or is this something odd? Are they eggs? I've saved some just in case but I don't know how well they'll survive if they are eggs.

How do tetras and guppies spawn? I'd imagine it's similar...

That is interesting. Minnows usually lay their eggs at the bottom of the tank either in plants or algae. Sometimes the male will build a nest with some gravel or he will dig a small hole to lay the eggs in, but I've never seen eggs at the surface like that. I wonder what that was. :undecided:

Mine have only bred a couple of times over the past few years and have just scattered the eggs on plants (none survived, got eaten). If they have been breeding it could be some kind of milt floating to the surface? :undecided: Never seen that myself though.

It occurred to me that they may be mosquito eggs or something...the surface wasn't moving much, I didn't have a lid on and there are several bugs that like to lay their eggs on water. I chucked most of them anyway and will just throw out the ones I kept, I don't want a house full of bugs! It definitely doesn't sound like the minnows are responsible.