Cleaning Canister Filter Tubes

I had an idea earlier for fixing some sort of brush (like this) onto a length of wire or similar for easy cleaning of my canister inlet and outlet tubes as they're a real nightmare to clean, I usually just replace them every so often but that's expensiiiiiive. I found this on ebay (because of course someone else has already done what you want to - and it's cheaper and easier this way!) and was wondering if anyone's used them before and thinks it's worth getting. If noone has I shall buy one anyway and let you all know...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Aquarium-Fish-Tank-Flex-Coil-Pipe-Brush-Cleaner-AR41-/360293131496?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish

I have one of those and a smaller one that I use in the cannister itself, great little things. I used to use one that I made myself, until I saw these and they are so good at getting the gunk out.

I have them in all sizes! They are SOOOOOOO awesome!!! They even go through the mechanic parts where the filter tubes are attached to - FABULOUS!!!

I had to clean out my 2213 for the first time the other day, so I went out and bought an Eheim universal cleaning brush:

11447566428294510_universal.jpg

It's a little brush on a 1.6m flexible line, and it goes through the 12mm hoses easily. Cleaned out everything in there nicely. It does have problems with the sharp 180 degree inlet pipe (as in, it simply does not go through, and gets nicely stuck) but for everything else, it's excellent.

I reckon a 2 month interval between hose cleans would be ideal (I had three months on mine), run the hose through with the brush twice, once in each direction, and rinse out with tank/clean water. That way when you fire the canister up, it won't dump out a bunch of biofilm. Even so, I ran the first 10 minutes of the cleaned out system without the spray bar in place, and with a net over the outlet pipe to pick up any junk that was coming out, while I gave the can a few shakes to get rid of the air pockets.

http://www.eheim.com/base/eheim/inhalte/index18ef.html?key=liniendetail_27678_ehen

Edited by j0shua