29 Gallon Filter Suggestion

Foodz

Hey Everybody Im Going To Miami On wednesday.

Im Going To Buy A FIlter for my 29 gallon tank to replace my tetra ex 30

Any suggestions no canistars please i have no way of brining them down on the plane without paying!!

I have three filters on my 29 gallon tank.

I've not used aquaclear before, but I will tell you that my Tetra Whisper EX70 is the loudest darned filter I've ever used!

It's moody and will filter quietly only when it wants too. Was your EX30 like that?

Agreed with Taylor on the AquaClear 70 which would give you 300 gph filtration. They're quiet and they work very well. You could also step up to a 110 which would push 500 gph, but the 70 should serve your purpose well. ;)

no my friend my ex 30 is sooo quiet but its small and i have an acuaclear 70 on t he tank now but i want another filter im removing the ex 30 i have 3 goldfish thats why!

I run an Aquaclear 50 on mine in conjunction with an Eheim 2213, I like the redundancy in terms of failure and cleaning.

But yeah, on the other tank we had an Aquaclear 70 in a 22g and that was fine. Plenty of filtration, should happily deal with a 29g. Flow is quite strong and it can take a fair amount of media (I didn't install the carbon pack but instead put an equivalent amount of crushed coral/spare small Eheim substrate balls into a mesh bag instead). It is reasonably large, but it's pretty much silent if all the plastic parts are firmly in place.

You know everyone has their preference, but I started out using Marineland Penguin Filters and I still stand by them! I have had very very few problems with them and I have at least one on all of my tanks. I like that they have the bio-wheel included, I like the cartridges that are made for them, and I like that you can still pretty much choose what you want to fill them with if you choose NOT to use the cartridges.. I always put floss, or bio-max or both in. I have a Penguin 350 on my 29 gallon and it's perfect.. Everyone else's suggestions are great too, just thought I would chime in and show a lil Marineland support! haha

You could use it, then get another filter as well to give you the right amount of GPH...

Two AQ 50 (400 gph) does the job quite nicely. I like having two filters just in case one packs it in during my weekend getaways or if the lfs is closed

I agree it is nice when you have two that way you are not relying on the one... I try to keep an extra filter on hand in case one breaks. So far I am pretty sure I've only had to replace one - it was a Penguin 100. It got harder and harder to start. I'd have to practically punch the thing but it would kick in. One day it just wouldn't start no matter what, but it had been going for a while so I had a backup..