Sign in to follow this  
shellbell4ever

Going On Vacation

OK... so Hubby and I are heading back down south to see both our Mothers in Florida :) we will be gone about two weeks... So now what are my options???I live in a new apartment complex and don't know anyone to ask,I'm thinking the Cats will be OK with automatic feeders on the back porch... but the goldfish and Betta's are my real concern :( I can not afford 5 automatic fish feeders?how are those vacation blocks??Has anyone used them ?I am finding mixed reviews :( How long could they go with out food??Could I add a Live plant for them to munch on while I'm away??If so what type??Any suggestion would be Greatly Appreciated :) :)

Personally I vote for slightly hungry fish but clean water. :) automatic feeders overfeed and those vaca blocks are a sure pollutant!

I have not ever read anything good about those blocks :exactly And 2 weeks sounds like a bit long to go w/o food. When I went away I paid someone(a lot)to come feed my babies every other day. Shelly,don't you have a daughter near you?

Two weeks is a long time. I'd say they could go a week without food, but I think two weeks is pushing it. If you pay someone to come over and feed them, maybe you should only have them come over to feed every 4 days or so, to cut back on waste. It's a good idea to have the portions of food pre-measured out and placed in a baggie labeled with the day it should be fed. And then hide all the other food. That way they won't overfeed your fish. Can you have someone do a water change too?

I agree. Two weeks is pushing it, especially with your fry. I have seen gel food vacation blocks, but I can't imagine they are much better. IT could make a total mess of things. Any Kokos person on here close by enough to be willing to feed the fish? That is how I found Lynda and she found me.

Messiness is not the only concern here,they will gorge themselves on it :bingo: Have you ever known a goldie to self regulate when it comes to food? :doh11:

:exactly I agree with everyone here. I would try and find someone to feed them once every 4 days like Sakura said, but make little pre-measured packets. And maybe more often for your fry.

Yikes what a dilemma :( I found this on big al's http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS/ctl3684/cp18351/si1382032/cl0/wardleytotalgoldfishvacationfood5oz but would be concerned about them gorging except it says it slowly dissolves? where would i find someone to feed my fish?as you all know myself and hubby are currently on disability so money is really tight :( maybe I could just have someone come 1 time during the middle of my vacation? were driving and staying with family so it's only coasting us gas and food money to and from...My Daughter lives about 20 mins away but she has small children and doesn't drive,she offered to stay here but then her cat and fish would be the ones left alone :( If we re think our dates and don't go for as long as originally intended How Long could the Goldfish go with out feeding???I could always bring my Betta's to my Daughters for the time being...I'm not really worried about the cats as they are so independent and I have vacation feeders for them already :) and there are a lot of cats in the neighborhood and food a plenty due to many cat care takers :)

Anymore Suggestions????

Maybe you could bring all the fish (goldfish and bettas) to your daughter's house for the two weeks you will be gone? I know it would be a lot of work, but that way you could stay on your vacation for the full two weeks.

Do you let your cats wander around outside? (I ask because of the "lots of cat caretakers in the neighborhood" statement) It's not a good idea to let your cats roam outside anyways (they kill wildlife and it's not safe for the cats themselves), but especially not while you're on vacation and unable to make sure they're alright. :( Maybe one of the neighbors would be willing to check on your cats every few days if you leave the cats inside?

I would bring the bettas and clementine if you could. I think adult goldfish can do 2 weeks max without food.you take such good care of them now I would not worry about food, just about the clean water. can your tank go 2 weeks without cleaning? just give them some real healthy potted plants before you leave - they munch on them right? just make sure you have a good strong cycle and don't give TOO many plants as more food = more poop. :)

I think that sounds very risky and you are liable to come home to dead fishys :testkit:

Yes My Cats go outside, they always have,I have a community back yard and most of the tenants here also have cats but there are 2 buildings that feed the strays here (we have a lot apparently) but as i said we have only been here a couple of weeks so I do not really know anyone :( My Dad lives nearby and said he would check in on the cats here and there while on his walks,but he doesn't want the responsibility of taking care of them and the fish :( he's almost 75 so I can't hold it against him :( After just moving my fish here, I think I would be pushing it bringing them to my daughters and I'm not crazy about her tank maintenance routine anyway ;) she's a bit lazy/busy with the boys ;) I'm thinking of just shortning our trip some and come home to live fish :)

how far away will you be? you could even just come back like for a night just to feed and renew the plants and do a large water change? (we did that a couple of times for our turtle, we were 3hrs away) bring clemmy with you :pianobanana

I don't think I'd leave them without food for more then a week. So min. have someone come feed them at least one a week per your suggestion. I don't know about those vacation blocks, might be worth a shot if you run out of options./

Any fish that could re-located to your daughters ' care sounds like a good idea.

If you have any fry, I'd just re-home them if you can, fry need more food then adult fish and will complicate your plans.

Oh Shell, I'd like you to at least reconsider letting your cats go outside :( Outdoor house cats kill wildlife, transmit disease to wildlife, and compete with native predators. House cats are not a part of the natural ecosystem, and they do great harm to it. Plus the health risks for the cat are so great. House cats that are allowed to roam outdoors have a significantly shortened life span because they catch diseases like heart worm or feline leukemia, stumble upon pesticides, eat toxic plants, get run over by cars, get eaten by wildlife or dogs, etc... Please just read these links and at least think about it. :)

Wildlife dangers

Dangers outdoors

I have never had any cats. But I know that all the people I know here with cats let them go and wander. Sometimes they don't even come home for days. I imagine these cats would go nuts if kept inside all the time. :idont

There are lots of ways to keep indoor cats occupied and happy. I have two cats who are indoor cats, but I do let them sit outside on the apartment balcony to watch things. I would never let them wander free, whether I lived in the city or the country. They are like my babies and I love them so much, and knowing all the dangers out there I would worry too much about them. Especially if they didn't show up for days! :o Also I really care about wildlife and want to do my part to protect it.

I understand as I don't let my dogs out alone, not even in a fenced garden as I am always afraid that they will do something silly. But cats seem so 'wild'... I guess it also depends on the breed, obviously you don't see a Persian cat hunting in the woods, however, my in laws have this sort of wild looking cat. he is gone for days, also in the winter. I think he also has another house that feeds him or something.

I don't think cats are more wild, but they do tend to be slightly more independent than dogs in a general sense. And any domesticated animal that becomes accustomed to being outdoors on its own will be more detached from humans I suppose. But that doesn't mean that being outdoors is in the best interest of that animal or the wildlife.

I understand though. It took me a long time to accept the idea that a house cat is better off indoors, and I actually got angry when a shelter worker tried to convince me of it. But after reading up on the reasons for it, the statistics, and all that good scientific stuff, I realized that she was right. And I have two perfectly healthy and very happy indoor-only cats. :) They are the best pets I could ever ask for, and they deserve to be kept safely indoors where they can live a long fulfilling life.

Edited by Sakura

I will keep it in mind if I ever get a cat :)) it would anyways be a WAY fluffy and furry one!

can anyone do WITHOUT their automatic feeder for 2 weeks? there must be a few of you out there that can do without automatically feeding your fish in order to solves shell bell's problem?

li believe that would be the safer option, a. no strangers in the home & b. no starving fish!

You could try your first idea with the plants? :o Anarchis is a favorite among my goldies as well as duckweed.

I've heard too many stories about auto feeders malfunctioning :o

Yes the autofeeders, I had a friend use them even though I told her not to. She came back a week later the water was absolutely disgusting and the fish were just lying there listless on the bottom.

my turtle also over ate on auto feeder - she got fat for a while from it :(

HOWEVER, I do believe there are those IPPER expensive ones that look like a huge wheel and you can dose each feeding and time exactly.