Home Made Wet/dry Trickle Filter

jeffteo

Read about how fast the wet/dry trickle filter can break down the harmful gases, with youtube as my guide I made my own with off the shelf products.

Things that I purchaed(All in Singapore dollars (SGD)).

1. Trickle tower - 4 tier small plastic cabinet = $4.90

2. Sump - Plastic container = $6.90

3. Overflow box - Pot cover stand = $2.50

4. Flexible tubing - Free from my office

5. Power head, filter floss & 2L(1.7KG) of ceramic rings = $36.50

Total cost = SGD $50.80

Prepared the overflow box by cutting the necessary opening for water flow and insert 2 flexible tubing as the U siphon tube.

SNC00729.jpg

I start the siphon by submerging everything fully in water, knock out all the air bubbles before fitting the tube into the overflow box. This is so much easier then sucking air out of the tube. :)

Drill lots of holes in each of the 4 tier cabinet drawers to make the drip tray and container for the media.

drip_tray.jpg

As I have space constrain below the tank, I am installing the sump above the tank.

Water are drawn up from the tank to the trickle tower with a 600 Lph power head and the sump water are overflowed back down into the tank waterfall style.

power_head.jpg

diy_wet_dry.jpg

Used a cut open coke bottle as a slash guard to prevent water from slashing onto my wall.

Video of completed set up.

th_SNC00749.jpg

Bought a plant on drift wood to be added to the tank once disinfection is completed.

No idea what type of plant it is... any advice anyone?

SNC00751.jpg

Correction, the plant is for the sump. A mini refugium to help remove nitrate. May add some algae or moss ball into the sump when I find it.

This is good for goldfish tank where you want to keep plants that can use up the nitrate and not have the goldfish eating it.

yup yup, it's java fern, fancy java fern. Thanks koko :)

Stupid me, buying without asking... but doubt the granny selling it knows its name in english.

potted_fancy_java_fern_rev_101.jpg

Haha awesome work Jeff, that's a very effective setup for 50 bucks.

There's this old aunty's shop near my office that sells all these plastic things (mop buckets, tong sampah, food covers, etc) and they have the 3 or 4 tier cabinets, and I was passing by the other day after checking out a LFS with open sumps, and the first thing I thought of was that it would make a really awesome wet/dry filter! It's kinda nice to see it in execution like this haha. Super easy to clean with the drawers also.

One suggestion: a spray bar at the top of the trickle tower to evenly distribute water on the filter floss, that way you don't end up with one dirty patch surrounded by white floss. A pvc pipe with holes drilled along it should do the trick. But it does look like you have an attachment on the top there... is that a shower head?

No shower head attached, it's just a bag of activaed carbon to remove the toxic from the plastic if any. I did tought of putting one but it's too troublesome and adding a spray bar will also be as troublesome and will be obstructing the drawer from opening fully. Will ended up having to detach the flexible tubing and the attachment if i need to fully open the drawer for access. Initially I wanted to put the filter floss below the drip tray in the 2nd drawer from the top for even distribution but putting more media is still the priority. I think it will be easier to just put a small object below the water flow to deflect the water around it when there is a patch. Think about it again, the floss is cheap... and I have prefilter inside the power head. Thanks for the suggestion :)

Maybe you can have the inlet enter via the front of the drawer so as to not obstruct the opening of the drawer. Spreading the water over a greater area of the floss increases efficiency as well as service intervals so there's less drawer opening.

Still, good work. It's pretty neat to see this in operation.

Not very satisfied with the first overflow box, I DIY one using PVC pipes with a spray bar attached to the output.

PVC_overflow.jpg

Also added in the Java Fern and a mini night light plus a DIY CO2 system.

Over_head_sump.jpg

In the process of adding this wet/dry system to the tank, I lost 2 fishes.

1 jumped out from the back and committed suicide when I have not gotten a net to cover the small opening. The net is now installed as seen in the PVC overflow photo.

2nd one got electrocuted I guessed when my night light decided to take a quick dip in the sump water. Now the light is properly secured and no chance of dropping again.

Finally I thought of a design that will help distribute water onto the filter pad drawer without really blocking the drawer from opening.

Drill lots of holes on the bulkhead, cap the end of it and you get a water sprinkler.

diy_sprinkler.jpg

Post your photos when you have it up. Small tips hers. When making holes on the drawers, really make lots and lots of it. I didn't made enough the first time round and the media were more than half soaked in water which will not optimizei the growth of the bb. Had to stop everything to make more holes the 2nd time.

• 3 weeks later...

Some update on my trickle filter. I had the trickle tower wrap up in black trash bag as I read that this will help the beneficial bacteria grow better. They are afraid of light.

Today my tank is fully cycled and I have zero reading for Ammonia and Nitrite.

I have 3 Danio and 9 Neon Tetra in a 7 gallon tank(including the sump).

This shows how effective the wet/dry filter is in removing the toxic even in a overstocked nano tank.

PlantedSump.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Some update of what have become of the filter since then.

Upgraded to a bigger 2 feet tank and converted it to a under tank sump filer.

2011-01-0922-39-22.jpg

And then i changed the sump to the same 1 feet cube tank.

2011-01-1519-02-04.jpg

Then soon I gotten another bigger 3 feet tank and moved the filter to it and added another tray of bio media.

SNC02126.jpg

And the current state.

2011-09-11175458.jpg

Wow...that's well impressive. I would not like to have you electric bill though!!!

Sent from Android using Tapatalk 2

The only high power consumption thing is the Ehiem pump. I am using LED lights and the whole system is less than 100W.