Salt Water Molly

caitie

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh come on for me :please

Sure Koko, as soon as I win at the lottery! :rofl But I might have an idea to try and get a few night shots, I'll have to try and work something out. I don't know if I could manage to film the little critters that hatch tho because to be able to see them I use a special magnifying glass that is super strong. But I'll try. :yeah:

On to another subject, I'm not sure but I think Betty is blind, she will be cruising along and just bumps into all sort of things. She'll hit the heater head first, or knock herself against the turbo snails. She can find her food but only because she goes around aspirating everything at feeding time. :D Also she is the only one who doesn't react when I turn on the first light, the others all run for cover but she just goes on doing whatever. At least it doesn't seem to bother her at all.

That's interesting... do they not have the sensors in their noses like goldies do so they can sense where things are? That's why they only really hit the tank walls when startled, stressed or sick, I think...they can sense the boundaries even if they can't see them. I don't think Red's work properly... It's also how goldies with massive wens and missing eyes can still get around. Maybe she just swims to fast to sense things :idont As long as it's not really bothering her she should be fine right? It's not like she's living in a tank full of nasty fish eating critters that'll snap her up if she swims into them... :unsure:

Yeah I thought they had sensors too but she just bumps into everything. She's not swimming fast when she does it, just slowly going around the tank. :undecided: I was worried about her bumping into something nasty too, :rolleyes: , but she seems to sense the dangers cause she stays mostly in the top half of the tank. They others go down exploring the corals and even sifting through the sand but I've rarely seen her down there. One of my friends said maybe she isn't blind but klutzy. ;)

The mollies are all doing fine, they seem to have discovered exactly where they can roam in the tank without getting stung. :rolleyes: The only thing that bothers me is that since the last birth none of the mollies has had babies. When I kept freshwater mollies i had babies all the time but these ones aren't giving birth very often. I wonder if it has something to do with being in marine conditions? I'll have to research a little bit more on that subject.

• 4 months later...

Well it's been a long time since I updated this subject. My molly experiment is not doing well. :( In January I lost one of the females to Ich and a bacterial infection. Recently the male started to have a really bad looking tail. It didn't look like finrot but his tail was getting thinner and shorter. I was keeping it under control with a 1 hour bath in pimafix and melafix every day for a week. Then about 2 days ago he ate something he shouldn't have, I suspect he ate a small red mushroom. The reason I suspect this, is that their regular food is green and so their poop is always green but for the last 2 days his poop was red. :unsure: Poor guy, his head and mouth area was very swollen and he just looked darn uncomfortable for a few hours. Then he seemed to pick up once he pooped. This morning I moved him for his treatment bath and I noticed that he had a lot of trouble breathing and that his head was swelling up again. Eventually I had to put him out of his misery because it seemed obvious that he was only getting worse. :cry1

So now I'm left with one female who seems to have adapted perfectly. She stays away from all the corals and she looks very healthy. I need to decide if I should remove her from the reef tank and try to rehome her with someone who has a tropical tank? :idont The thing is that she seems perfectly adapted to the reef tank and she is not getting into any trouble, so I figure the stress of moving back to regular water and then being rehomed might not be the beast thing for her. I guess I'll wait a few days and see how she handles being all alone. :unsure:

Well something is definitely stinging my fish in the 29 gallon reef. :( She was stung by something during the evening, so I decided to move her last night from the 29 to the nano tank. Poor girl was a little disoriented and last night she was terrified of swimming in there. :scared I wasn't sure what I would find this morning. But she is doing great, swimming all over the tank although she doesn't seem impressed with the cube shaped tank. :rolleyes: I think I'll leave her there and try to discover what is the problem in the other tank. I think I might go and pick up a yellowtail damsel to put in the 29 gal and see what happens. I figure a saltwater fish will know what to avoid in the reef and if it is something very nasty that is stinging the fish maybe an aggressive fish like the damsel will be able to fight it off. I hope this will work because I really want to put in a false percula clown fish in there, it would look great with the huge leather coral. :)

• 2 months later...

I thought I should post an update on the remaining molly. She was going along fine and then she got one huge white spot near her tail. :ill Much too big to be ich. It was very similar to what the other molly had before she died. I asked around and posted on a few saltwater forums and it was decided that she has Lymphocystis which is a viral thing. Apparently this can remain for many months in a fish before causing any symptoms. So the theory is that all three of my mollies might have had the disease since they were all from the same source and most probably siblings. This is not a deadly disease in most cases so I was feeling confident that she would recover but unfortunately lymphocystis can be complicated by secondary bacterial or mycotic infections.Yesterday I noticed her tummy was very bloated and her scales were beginning to stick out under her belly. I was told that this often happens with mollies in saltwater because their immune system is affected by the change in their environment. I will try and treat her with Furan 2 as I was recommended to do, but I don<t have very much hope for her. Should she survive I will slowly get her back to freshwater and rehome her.

So the conclusion I have reached is that even if technically you can adapt freshwater mollies to saltwater, they will not thrive in the long run. I have also learned that they are not comfortable in this environment since they don't know the dangers lurking in a reef tank. Someone told me that mollies in a reef tank are like Alice in wonderland.

I'll update on what happens to this little girl soon.

This will be my last update on this thread since I unfortunately had to euthanize the last mollie. I tried treating her for the dropsy but she was just getting worse and was now obviously in pain. :cry1

Now the nano has to remain free of fish for at least 2 or 3 months to make sure the lymphocystis will not survive in the tank. After that time I'll be able to add in a new fish. Either a yellow tail damsel or maybe a small clown goby.

Thanks to everyone who was following along here, I appreciated all your feedback. :)