Salt Water Molly

caitie

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

YAY!!!They all look great in the tank :) I am so happy for you (& them) Is the original female still harassing them?I think in no time they will all be fine :) But some mollies can be so Territorial :(

Unfortunately she is still picking on them. :( I'll let them try to sort it out but if she continues I might have to put her in the 1/2 gal pico. ;):rofl

Seriously if she doesn't stop she will have to be moved but maybe I'll put her in the 7 gallon nano, but then she'd be all alone which would be kinda sad cause she was doing so well with Mr Molly. Maybe she finds three a little bit too much.

:tomuch: I think you may be right Federica. She seems a bit frustrated that the male will have nothing to do with her. He is too busy trying to :hide: from her. :rolleyes:

Now for a quick update, the three are settling in even if the little b/w hasn't settle down yet, I'm seriously thinking of moving her soon if she continues acting like a little pest. Both females seem to be pregnant and they are both showing signs of being very near giving birth but no babies yet. If I can I will try to save a few of their babies to pop into the pico tank. They would stay in there only for a little while until they can swim well enough to fend for themselves and then I can transfer them to the 7 gallon nano. :) We'll see.

Arrghh. This fin rot is really bugging me. Now the male has a hole right in the middle of his tail. Yesterday I started to give all three of them a melafix and pimafix bath. I know they say both meds are safe in a reef but I've heard of bad stuff happening to corals with them, so I'm not taking a chance. I'm taking water from the tank to fill up a bucket and adding the mela and pimafix in the bucket. I put all three mollies in the bucket and leave them in there for about one hour. After that they start stressing so I put them back in the tank. I'll be doing this for the next few days so I hope it stops the progression of the rot. Actually the females seem to be on the mend, the rot hasn't progressed at all and even seems to be healing. But the male had nothing on him until yesterday when I noticed the hole in his tail and now a little bit on another fin. :undecided:

I know this is a whole new ball game. All my usual treatments for freshwater won't work with saltwater. I'm afraid to add anything in the tank because I have so many bugs, snails and the shrimp, not to mention all the corals. :undecided: Anyways the melafix/pimafix baths seem to be helping the females but the male doesn't seem to improve. He still acts as though nothing is wrong but he has this hole in his tail that is getting bigger. The only thing different tonight is that the hole doesn't have any white around the edges. Not sure if that is good or bad, we'll see.

I took a little video of the mollies before I give them their melafix/pimafix bath. They are always swimming all three together. :rolleyes:

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid634.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fuu70%2Fcaitie_bucket%2F29gallonsmollies077.mp4">

Yeah I kind of feel bad for her she is all alone but if I add more mollies then I can't add any green chromis and I really want a few of those. :yeah:

So I have a good update finally. :rolleyes: The fin rot is now gone and the tails are all healing well. I'm glad doing the melafix/pimafix in a bucket for 1 or 2 hours a day did the job. :) One of the two orange females looks like she might be ready to give birth so hopefully I'll have some interesting pictures soon.

Edit: Thanks Shell and yes Koko the pulsing xenia is holding on but it is shrinking a little everyday. :undecided: I'm gonna miss it if it goes I've had it for over 2 years. When I got it it was just a little branch and with time it almost covered the rock it is on.

Edited by caitie

Here are a few pictures taken tonight of the 4 mollies and the shrimp. :rolleyes:

Fred, Ginger & Betty

tout169.jpg

Fred and Ginger

tout164.jpg

tout163.jpg

Mrs. Molly the little boss

tout168.jpg

tout167.jpg

Mistinguette the shrimp

tout166.jpg

Edited by caitie

More Pic's I see the more i want my salt water tank back :heart

I can understand, salt water tanks are addictive. :rolleyes:

Tonight the mollies were so funny. Something hatches in my tank every few weeks, always once I turn off the lights. I suspect it is the blue hermits because they are constantly mating. :teehee Anyways, tonight after I turned off the lights I sat in front of the tank with my flashlight (red covered lens) and my magnifier. I noticed all these teeny tiny little creatures with super bright blue eyes floating around the tank. There must be close to a hundred of these. The cleaner shrimp of course is frantically rushing around the tank trying to gobble up as many as possible. :Scoff: But the mollies are totally freaking out everytime something touches them. :huh: I guess they haven't figured it out yet that this is free food. :food They are such scaredy cats, fighting all day long but afraid of everything once the light goes out. :D

:rofl that is insane! the goldies would NEVER survive in such an environment! by now they would probably have gotten stuck in all the possible (and impossible) places, eaten wrong things and god knows what else! :rofl