Salt Water Molly

caitie

In your nano tank do you have anything other than that tiny sponge filter? I can't see a heater or anything...it looks oddly achievable on a small budget compared to some tanks I've seen. I really want to try a nano tank with hermit crabs or shrimp but am too daunted by the cost of all the electricals that go with it...I have sponge filters and heaters kicking around, maybe even the same filter as you, and I can get a small tank easy enough 2nd hand, I don't want to set up my 24 gallon with anything yet, I just don't have space...

The yellow clown goby looks cute, when are you going to get one?! :o

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The nano has a canister filter filled up with some live rock rubble. No sponges or anything just some rubble that serves as biological filtration. The little mini elite filter has no sponge in it either I just use it to make some current in the water, like a water pump. There is no heater because the water never drops below 78. It will creep up to 84 with the lights tho, so I have to use a little computer fan that I attach to a cover I made with a cake cooling rack. Very primitive but it does the job. :rolleyes:

I'm hoping to get the clown goby soon but I don't have access to a store that sells salt water stuff. I have to wait until brother can drive me so it might be a few weeks yet. :(

By the way I'm playing around with the idea of starting a very small pico if I can get my hand on the right light. If I do get around to it I will start a thread on how I'm doing it from start to finish. Like I really need another challenge. :rolleyes:

Edited by caitie

Hey Sarah, I was just watching my nano and I realized you don't see the tubes from the canister filter in the tank. Maybe you noticed that, the reason is that the tank is drilled at the bottom, so the tubes from the canister are hidden by the sand and the rocks. I'll try and get a pic or two of the set up tonight. :)

Here are some pics of the nano set up.

Canister filter in the stand. Please excuse the salt creep and the general mess I need to do some maintenance. :rolleyes:

reef602.jpg

reef603.jpg

Where the tubes come into the tank.

reef613.jpg

The little computer fan my brother wired up for me. I believe it cost under 10.00 canadian.

reef607.jpg

And the whole messy set up. Although usually there is a door to hide the equipment underneath. :D

reef609.jpg

I'm really getting excited about this pico. I want to use a fishbowl I have, either the 1 gallon or 2 gallon not sure yet. :undecided: My biggest problem is the light. I know which PC light bulb I can buy but to find a lamp that would look good is the problem.

It wouldn't be too expensive to do either because I'll be using mostly stuff from the other tanks. The pico will be instantly cycled since I'll use sand and live rock from my other two tanks. And I'll just use small corals from the other tanks too.

So basically I just need to buy the light and whatever livestock I can put in. A small clean up crew and maybe a sexy shrimp or two if I can find some. :)

Update on Mr and Mrs Molly, they are both doing great. They have learned to leave the corals alone. :D I will probably try to get another female soon and then maybe a green chromis or 3. ;)

About the pico, I started a thread about it in Marine fish; tank and equipment. This is a tiny 1/2 gal pico until I can pick up a light for the 1 or 2 gallon pico. :yeah:

Oooo just saw the thing about the canister! I've seen that done before on marine tanks and it doesn't look too hard actually cutting the holes, but I'd be so scared of not sealing it right or there being a problem with the seal and the tank just drains itself while I'm out one day....

Thanks Koko. :)

Thank you Sarah now I'm worried!!!!! :blink: Seriously though I would usually be worried but our friend who gave us the tank had it up and running for a year so I knew the plumbing was done right. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I have a sad update. :( Mr Molly got stuck between two rocks and died. :cry1 I guess he was chasing something and he went where he shouldn't have. So I now only have my little dalmatian female left and she looks sad. She just keeps swimming back and forth along the front glass missing her mate I guess. I'll try and pick up 2 more this week so she won't be so lonely.

:rip: Mr Molly :cry

pico023.jpg

pico026.jpg

Thanks Koko. :)

I have good news though, I just picked up 3 new sailfin mollies. :yeah: 1 male and 2 ladies (one looks very pregnant :) ) They are presently getting the drip to acclimate them so I hope they will make it through the process. They are huge and very very orange. I already moved my rocks around a little bit to make sure no one gets caught in the same place as Mr Molly. Here is their first official pix:

Nano1015.jpg

They are much more skittish than the other mollies were. One of the females has already hurt her side when she was in her bag coming home. I hope the salt will heal it up for her.

Here are the three new mollies in the tank. Did I say how orange they were???? :D

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid634.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fuu70%2Fcaitie_bucket%2FMollies5october2010.mp4">

PRetty!

I think tho that they are a little afraid of the creepy crawly thing behind them! :rofl

The b/w one is so cute and happy looking to have friends!

PRetty!

I think tho that they are a little afraid of the creepy crawly thing behind them! :rofl

The b/w one is so cute and happy looking to have friends!

I was thinking the same thing. Friends :D . So cute :heart

You know, that cute little black and white one is now terrorizing the big ones. :blink: She is stressing out the two females so much. :doh11:

The females both have a piece of their tails that have a little white with some blood. I think they are coming down with some tail rot. Not sure how to treat that in salt water. I think I'll either try a melafix/pimafix dip or maybe swab the tail with the melafix directly, if I can catch them. :undecided:

But on the upside the tank is sure active now. They seem to love playing follow the leader, and they zip around the tank at high speed.:D As for the creepy crawly she had to sleep hidden in a hole in a rock last night, it seems the orange male likes to nibble on her antennas. :rolleyes:

I need to find names for these three so I'm open to suggestions....