Salt Water Molly

caitie

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for the compliments on the tank and Mr Molly. :D

I picked up two females today unfortunately the choices were limited. I got two dalmatian mollies. One has more black and the second one has some little blue spots on her body. They are in the pail right now being acclimated as Mr Molly was. I will be able to add them in the tank tomorrow afternoon so hopefully I'll be able to post some pics soon. :)

Shellbell I would love to have a false percula clown fish and maybe some green chromis but salt water fish are like goldies. They need a lot of space so I'm not sure if I could have more than 4 fish in there. I guess I'll have to be patient and wait to see how the water quality will hold up. :undecided:

So the females are now in the tank with Mr Molly. :) I haven't chosen names for the two females yet so for the time being it will be the biggest one and the smallest one. :rolleyes:

Meet the biggest one being acclimated.

reef274.jpg

The smallest one.

reef277.jpg

Something spooked them and they decided to stick together.

reef270.jpg

Here is a new one of Mr, Molly and the shrimp Mistinguette.

reef267.jpg

The whole gang together.

reef310.jpg

And now for a small video to meet them all. This was taken about 20 minutes after they were added to the tank, so the two females are a little shy.

Please be advised this video is for adult viewing only. :D (:yeah: There will be babies soon!!!!)

th_meetthegang3.jpg

So cool! I had no idea you could get them to live in salt water like this! and the babies will just 'grow up' in there? I wonder if their still have their natural instincts with all the funky stuff growing in your tank ready to eat them :rofl

Hey Federica. Yeah they seem to be acting pretty normal right now. I discovered that the store where I got them would take any babies I want to get rid of. Lots of people would apparently buy them but don't want the hassle of acclimating them. So if they are born in saltwater then it is so much easier, but I'm not sure I want to go through the hassle of saving the babies and growing them out. I've been there and done that when I had freshwater mollies and it's a lot of work.

Sad update though, I just lost the smallest female. When I woke up she had a bad case of fin rot on her tail and she was being picked on by the biggest female. I removed her to a smaller container and tried some melafix but she was too weak. :(

I'll have to go and pick out a bigger one, I think when they are so small the change from freshwater to saltwater is too much stress. Although she was doing really well yesterday. Maybe she just got picked on all night. :undecided:

Oh my gosh they look fantastic in there :) I would name them ying and yang :) lol I have always wondered how big of a tank I would need to have a Nemo and Dory fish??? :) If I were to ever do a salt water tank they would be my inhabitants or maybe a snowflake eel :) :) I have always liked them too :)

Oh my gosh they look fantastic in there :) I would name them ying and yang :) lol I have always wondered how big of a tank I would need to have a Nemo and Dory fish??? :) If I were to ever do a salt water tank they would be my inhabitants or maybe a snowflake eel :) :) I have always liked them too :)

If you want a Dory (Regal Blue Tang) and Nemo (Clown fish) you would need a at the least a 75 gallon tank but over a 100 would be better. The regal blue tang will grow to be over 12 inches.

The snowflake eel also needs at least a 75 gal. But that would be a great tank! :D

Thanks Koko. :) I was getting pretty bored with it and I wanted to tear it down a little while back. But now with the fish in it, it has a whole new life. I'm back to sitting in front of it every day. I'm really enjoying it right now. :)

Since I can't go on vacation any time soon, I like to call it my little piece of the ocean. I take a mini vacation in my living room. I dim the room lights, fix myself a treat and just enjoy it. :D

Are you ever planning on getting another sw tank Koko?

• Admin

Not around here...

See down in CA I had a SW store like 1.5 mile from me, so I could get salt water and such.

But here the only store close is P E T Smart, so getting one set up will be hard, so for now i just look at your videos :):heart

Hmm I think after my Vacation I might try a bit of a Nano tank with my 20 long?? what would you put in it??

First off you need to decide what type of nano you want. Fish only with live rock or do you also want some corals? Then you'll need to set up the tank and get the equipment. This will be a big part of your budget. The lights are very important, especially if you want to keep corals.

Cycling your tank takes a certain amount of time. I started my 29 gal on April 15th 2008. It cycled very quickly because I could use some of the live sand that was in my 7 gallon nano to help kick start the cycle. I started adding my soft corals around the May 17th. It would have been better to wait a little more but a friend was giving them to me so I couldn't be too difficult. :rolleyes:

Now I was very very patient before adding fish since the tank has been running over 2 years and I just added in my mollies. But most people wait only a couple of months before adding fish. :D

In a 20 gallon you could get away with 3-5 small fish.

Here is a list of the best ones for a nano:

True and false percula (you could get a mated pair)

banggai cardinals; pajama cardinals; royal gamma;

clown gobies; bicolor pseudochromis; green chromis.

If you want info on the type of equipment you'll need and the actual steps to set up you tank I'll be happy to help.

Just for fun here are two pics to show how the tank progressed.

This one was taken a few days after I set it up. It has only some live sand and a few pieces of live rock called branches.

2008_05050018.jpg

This one is right after I added the corals I was given. I have never added a coral to my tank after these. They just keep growing and I have to cut some to give away or sell at the store. :)

29gallons3006.jpg

And here is a pic of my 7 gal nano. I really really want to add a yellow clown goby in here. :yeah:

DSCF3158.jpg

Woke up to see tons of babies in the tank. :bounce Here's a small video of one. Sorry my camera isn't very good to pick up such small babies.

th_reef503.jpg

I think most are already gone but some might have hidden in some holes in the rock. :undecided:

Mom is still popping them out but I think the last ones seem to have some problems. Their little tummies are really swollen and red. :(

Well they don't have much chance poor sweeties. Dad and mom both had a feast. The cleaner shrimp had her fair share and if they landed on one of the ricordias well they had no chance there either. But if they got sucked up into the aquaclear 110 then they have a chance since it's full of cheato. :)

Edited by caitie

Well 24 hours later mom is doing fine although she seems very grumpy and is not tolerating Mr Molly anywhere near her. :rofl No babies in view, so I'll assume they were all eaten. :( Maybe next time some will survive. I should be getting more in about 20 days or so.

Oh how exciting! what are you going to do with them? can you separate them some way?

Federica unfortunately there is now way I can save these babies. I just don't have the place or the time to raise them. But if eventually one or two do survive I found a store who would take them in. :)

About my 20 gal setup I will be picking your brain and doing some research when i get home ;)

I'll look forward to it Shellbell. :)