Salt Water Molly

caitie

Well after one disastrous try where i killed some black mollies in December 2009 I finally decided to try again. :( The mollies who died had been converted to salt water with no problem but they couldn't fight the strong current needed in a reef tank, they were just too small. So on monday I bought a huge male sailfin molly. This time it is a success here are some pics. :D

Here he is in a bucket being drip acclimated. It took 24 hours before the water in the bucket reached 1.026 salinity like in my tank.

reef021.jpg

Here he is exploring the tank a few minutes after being put in it.

reef139.jpg

Here he tried biting the Devil finger coral. He didn't like it. :o

reef141.jpg

And a short video.

th_reef151.jpg

I'll be picking up two females for him later next week. ;)

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't wait to add in some females. I've had this tank for over two years but I've been afraid of adding fish since marine fish are so expensive and hard to keep. But the mollies will give me the experience I need before I add in some other fish. :)

Thanks Chrissy. :) I can't believe how much his colors are getting bright. He has been in the tank since wednesday afternoon and his colors are really brightening up. I had read about that when I did some research but it really is impressive to see.

I just fed him some of my goldies gel food and he went nuts for it. I usually feed it to my cleaner shrimp and to my ricordia but this time the molly got it all. I guess I'll have to find another way to feed the shrimp and corals, since he is such a little pig. :D

Wow :) I have heard of Mollies in brackish as well but never full salt but he looks awesome in there :) I do so love the mollies :) keep us posted if you get the females and maybe another quick video of his new intense coloring :)

Congrats on the new fishie in your tank!!!!

Thank you for the kind words guys. We are having a little set back, hopefully it's nothing major. :undecided: Mr Molly has stuffed himself on something in the tank and now he is very constipated. Poor guy has swollen belly since yesterday morning but he still has his dorsal spread wide when he does move. I'm thinking of trying an epsom salt bath if he doesn't go soon. I can't really fast him because there is too much food in the tank for him. He is eating algae and lots of little bugs that float around. He doesn't realize he needs to stop putting stuff in if it ain't coming out. :doh11:

Well it looks like slight dropsy this morning. :( Apparently he might have eaten something he shouldn't have, I noticed one coral looks like he might have bitten into it. :doh11:

I'll have to take him out of the tank and do an epsom salt dip on him for 30 minutes. Unfortunately I don't have a qt tank for the salt water so I can't keep him in the epsom. I might try and go out to buy some stuff to set up a salt water qt tank, we'll see how he does after the epsom dip.

I'll keep you guys posted. :)

Just a quick update. Mr Molly has had his third epsom salt dip today and I've started feeding him some gel food made with peas and some Jungle anti parasite food. He is much better, swimming around more but he is still pretty pineconed. I've taken some photos but I can't post them yet. I'm having some internet problems but the company swears it will be resolved in a few days. :undecided:

So I'll have the pics up as soon as possible, hopefully by then he will be recovered. :)

Mr Molly is now dropsy free and pooping like mad. :rolleyes: So I am guessing the dropsy was caused by a bad case of constipation.

I will be posting pics soon. :)

And getting him a few females to pass the time with. :rofl

Thank you guys. :)

I'll probably pick up the ladies next monday but I've decided to to set up a qt tank for them and as a prevention they will get some anti parasite food. Then after the qt they will be acclimated like Mr Molly was. But I'll get pictures of them up as soon as I get them. :D

Okay here are the pics I promised.

First one shows how he was pineconed. :ill

reef162.jpg

Here's a short video of his first epsom dip, he was not happy. :rolleyes:

th_reef163.jpg

Today he is completely back to normal so here are two pics that show he has different eyes. Please excuse the poop but he won't stop, apparently he is finding something yummy in the tank. :D

reef197.jpg

reef194.jpg

And this one just because Mistinguette the shrimp is in it.

reef179.jpg

And a video of Mr Molly now that he is healthy again.

th_molly3.jpg

I hope you enjoyed these. :)

So happy to hear he's doing better :) and I also love the two different eye's,so cute! and as far as the poop goes ...better out than in... I always say ;) Still looking forward to meeting the new girls when you get them :) how many are you thinking of getting??

Thanks guys, I like his eyes too. :D

Shellbell I'm thinking of getting two females. Maybe one black and one white but we'll see what they have tomorrow when I go to the store. Poor girls will be in a pail getting acclimated with the drip for at least 24 hours and then they'll go in the tank. So I'll probably have pictures of everyone by wednesday if all goes well. :)