Sign in to follow this  
wolfsong8

New Fish!

I have not been on this forum for AGES. A few months ago my beautiful and beloved fantail, Feather, passed away. He was having some health issues for a long time. He put up a really good fight.

I felt it was time to give my other goldie, Firefly, a new companion, so I got a new little fish. This new one is a little bitty Red-cap Oranda. He has the fattest little belly I have ever seen, and LOVES to eat:-) So I called him Fatty, lol.

Right now, Fatty is in a quarantine tank until I can make sure he is not going to give anything nasty to Firefly. How long should he be in quarantine? Is there anything I should add as a precaution against diseases or parasites?

Thanks for any help you can give!

Generally quarantine should last for at least three weeks, but more time is better. You will want to treat the new fish with aquarium salt and Prazi, but if you use PraziPro by Hikari, you can't use that and salt at the same time or it won't work. You should do about three doses of the Prazi, 7 days apart. Prazi deactivates in the water after a period of three days, so dosing it every seven days allows for some time in between doses for some more flukes eggs to hatch, so that you can get them on the next round.

For the salt, you will want to keep the salt concentration at .3% for at least a week. This kills a lot of nasty parasites that the Prazi does not affect. Do you know how to salt, and to increase it gradually? Here's the link for how to salt in case you forgot or don't know: How to salt

Edited by Sakura

Thanks Sakura. Yes, I do know how to salt. I always add a little to my tank when I do a water change. Makes my fish happy:-) Where do I get Prazi at?

Ummm, pictures please? :) I love redcaps!

congratulations on your new fish... and yes, pics please...

Welcome back to Koko's tank. Please, let's have some pictures!

Welcome Back :)

And Yes I do believe Pictures are in order here ;)

Thanks Sakura. Yes, I do know how to salt. I always add a little to my tank when I do a water change. Makes my fish happy:-) Where do I get Prazi at?

Adding an arbitrary amount of salt to the tank on a whim might not be good. (Not horrible I don't think, but not good) Do you know how much you put in per gallon?

Congrats on the new fish! :D

"Adding an arbitrary amount of salt to the tank on a whim might not be good. (Not horrible I don't think, but not good) Do you know how much you put in per gallon?

Congrats on the new fish! :D"

I measure it. Depends on the size of my tank. Don't worry, I am not going to over-salt my fish:-)

And for everyone else, I PROMISE I will get pictures up. But right now I am letting him relax and adjust. When I get him in the new tank I plan to do a photoshoot.

Edited by wolfsong8