Proud New Owner

seheap

I am super excited about this! I bought all three of them this weekend from a guy on craigslist. ALL THREE for $150 :o What a deal!

One is a Rena Filstar XP2 (300gph)

One is a Rena Filstar XP3 (350gph)

And the last one is a Cascade 1000 (365gph)

I just need advice now on what to fill them with. Also I am wondering if I need to run such high filtration rates on my tanks because of all the media it holds? I am definitely going to run another HOB filter on there (just in case!) but do I need to be super concerned about getting the 10x? (eg would 600gph on a 68g tank be ok?)

I am a complete newbie to canister filters. :ignore So I am not sure what to do!

I was thinking about using these and this and these and sponges in all of them. What do you think?

Or should I try to use only Rena and Cascade media? I know it all works the same in HOB....

• Admin

I would say the first two are great, i dont really like anything (unless its in your Tap water) that takes out ammonia and nitrites, cause this can have an effect on your cycle hun... When I had a Canister. I just had the balls and packed it full of filter floss :)

Thanks for the advice guys! I think I'm going to the LFS before work today and hope to pick up at least one canister's worth of media so I can start "seasoning" it!

My fish are gonna LOVE the extra water movement! :)

I would say go for the Ehfisubstrat Pro, the round balls with dimples in them mean more surface area for biobugs to cling on to, and they don't really trap much air. I have bio-rings like the Fluval Biomax chucked in haphazardly in my Eheim, and I spent a good half hour last night rocking out the trapped air from the canister. Bio-rings do work, but I figure the small balls are easier to maintain. Just use whatever media you're comfortable with, you don't have to stick to any brand.

Now I have to recommend getting some silicon based grease for the o-rings if these are used canisters, I've had an air leak in mine that led to some pretty loud rattling. It's basically silicon based plumber's grease which is non-toxic (but pretty thick and sticky) which you can find in the plumbing section of most hardware stores. They're used for greasing o-rings for all sorts of piping work anyways, including household water which you end up drinking so it has to be harmless. Smear a tiny bit on, cover the o-ring evenly, then wipe off the clumps and you'll get a nicely greased o-ring which shouldn't let any air in, and it'll prolong the life of the ring, and the silicon won't damage it unlike petroleum based products (some ppl argue that petroleum based vaseline is fine as today's modern materials makes a very robust ring, but some say otherwise...).

I also got a new canister filter

Aqua one Aquis advance 1250 Litres/hr

It has 3 compartments like most canisters its size i think.

I wanted to know what is the best arrangement of filter media. According to the manual Aqua one recommends that each compartment be filled with 1/2 biomedia (rings, matrix bio media) followed by the filter sponge on top. This is repeated for the other 2 compartments. I hope you guys understand what i'm trying to say it is a bit hard to explain.

Would you guys agree with this arrangement? If not what would be the best arrangement?

thanks in advance

I have this filter and mine came with all the media so I pretty much just left it as is really. The top compartment has a thick layer of fine sponge with filter floss on the top, the middle layer has ceramic rings with course sponge and the bottom layer has ceramic stars, I don't remember off the top of my head whether there's sponge too on that one or just extra ceramic, I'm taking it apart tonight though so can let your know if you want? Did yours not come with stuff?

I have this filter and mine came with all the media so I pretty much just left it as is really. The top compartment has a thick layer of fine sponge with filter floss on the top, the middle layer has ceramic rings with course sponge and the bottom layer has ceramic stars, I don't remember off the top of my head whether there's sponge too on that one or just extra ceramic, I'm taking it apart tonight though so can let your know if you want? Did yours not come with stuff?

Yeah mine came with all the media as well. Currently mine is set up the same as yours. The bottom compartment if yours is the same as mine, should have extra ceramic, and another course sponge as well. Since the filter water goes through the ceramic first before passing through the sponge, do you find that your ceramic gets clogged at all?

I'm currently not reaching the 10x filtration rule, so I'm trying not to get any reduction in flow rate at all. My tank is currently 150L and I think at operation the filter will be pushing only about 1000L per hr, considering max flow rate according to the manufactures is 1250L per hr without any media.