Sign in to follow this  
Guldklumpen

Stubborn Popeye

she looks great.. her eyes are less swollen, and although she is still pineconed, to me it appears her scales are a fraction less pointed out.. yes, her swelling still looks the same, but the two differences are a great improvement and like CFG said, if she's still active and begging for food, that's agreat sign.. she's a real beauty..

I'm hoping for the best stakos.

Thx for the kind words, she really is my little darling :)

She ate half a pea with a 1 mm grain of epsom this morning and 20 Jungle AP pellets.

Btw. i love the name Sir Loyn :D

Pronounced like the sirloin steak right?

Edited by Guldklumpen

Btw. i love the name Sir Loyn :D

Pronounced like the sirloin steak right?

sure is.. LOL.. i was fortunate enough for pork chop to enter my life first.. then sir loyn came along.. ha ha!! kept the theme going. :tomuch:

12/11 could be December 2011 - thats what I would think.

just looking at the pic, can you get the stuff on the floor out of the tank? I prefer to keep my hospital tanks TOTALLY spotless. you just never know with an already sick fish. also try and wipe down the sides well.

It is just a little sand, she enjoys chewing it while searching for food.

That is about the only thing she can do to pass time while in the tub.

It is not poop, i siphon her tub ED to keep it clean for her.

Update!

Tvilsen seem very happy today.

Maybe its wishful thinking, but she seems a little bit smaller to me.

I have just spent 6 hours!!!! uninstalling my background and filter in my 250 liters tank.

And then installing an Eheim 2080 filterpump.

Let the cycling begin :)

Edited by Guldklumpen

Oh wow did u disinfect everything? Wow what a job! How many fish do you have in there? Are they healthy? I hope the cycling is okey with them.

Fingers crossed the meds are working!!!!!

oh, you've done so well.. congratulations on the good progress.. fingers crossed she continues to show you the love..

Im so glad things appear to be improving just a bit even. Any reduction in swelling and dropsy is good! Federica you are kind to send the Jungle, if they are to work Guldklumpen you should see improvement within a few days.

As for the nitrofuran medication you mention, I would hold on to that for when and if she should stop eating or if the Jungle really does not appear to bring good results over the next several days.

I drained all the water from the tank, removed background and filter, removed the silicone

used to glue the background with and cleaned the tank with water and a sponge.

I have 4 fancy goldfish in the tank, they were in a 90 liter tub, like Tvilsens while i

worked on their tank.

While the tank is cycling i must change extra water.

They are all cute and healthy :)

I will post pics tomorrow.

Great news :)

Tvilsen looks the best in a long time today....Yaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!

Her one side is allmost normal looking and the other much better.

It looks like the treatment is working.

But for how long do i proceed?

What do i do now?

Here are pics and a movie from 15 min ago:

IMG_3487.jpg

IMG_3486.jpg

IMG_3485.jpg

The movie quality is not great and kindy dark...but it's there :)

Regards

Guldklumpen

oh WOW she looks GREAT!!! I would mention the one sided Dropsy to Trinket, that is also how it started right?

What day are you of the Jungle? I think you should do the full 2 weeks and we see how she is. You could then do 2 extra weeks if needed, with only 3 days a week of Jungle, so the other days you can get her some veggies and probiotics. Have you ever made Gel Food? She will need the Probiotics after the cure to get her good intestinal flora back. Otherwise, can you get her some SakiHikari food? That one is also good with probiotics. :)

Keep up the clean water. YEY!

Excellent job hun! Looking at that vid my impression with the one sided dropsy plus one sided swelling was EGGS...are you sure she couldnt be gravid? Did you see any kind of chasing of her by other fish before she swelled up? unsure.gif

I have no gelfood, not sure about what to do?

But i have Hikari Lionhead pellets and Pro-Gold pellets.

She might very well be gravid too, its been a few months since

she layed eggs and she normally does that once a month. (such a good girl)

I have never noticed her scales spiking out before when she was

ready to lay eggs though.

Thx again for your help & support guys :)

do the Lionhead pellets or ProGold have probiotics? I am not sure.

I make gel food for the recovering fish. it is quite easy to make, then I just add in a probiotic supplement for people.

She usually lays eggs once a month? All year round? Wow that is a lot, not sure if that is normal... I think she wouldn't have had the scales sticking out because the eggs didn't get stuck in her (which they did this time, if that was indeed the cause). It if good you are feeding the Jungle, eggbound fish can die from internal infections from the egg impaction :(

Im not sure about the probiotics, its a totally new term for me?

The gelfood sounds interesting, but when i read about it some time ago i recall

that i did not know what to buy in my local stores to make it.

Last winter i started writing down whenever i did see her eggs with my own eyes:

9 november - 2009

21 november

20 december

11 February

11 marts

25 marts

4 may

1 June - 2010

She is quite a busy girl :)

Hopefully she is not eggbound, since i cant find info about what to do about it.

Apparantly there is no cure and it can kill the fish :(

Tvilsen laying eggs last year:

oh my! she is like a heartbreaker! :rofl gorgeous fish!

you are doing everything to cure an eggbound fish already :) it is done with epson, heat and antibiotics (the Jungle is good for this) to prevent infection. :)

I think she will be well on the way to recovery. I wonder if it is normal that she lays so many eggs? Did you maybe change the water temp of the tank or something? To prevent her from releasing the eggs like she has always done?

Probiotics are like BioFlorin - do you know it?

My link

that is what I use. Just because it is easy to get here. but you can use anything that promotes the good growth of the beneficial intestinal bacteria. (like you have in yogurts.) you can get it in any pharmacy.

I just made a gel food recently, let me check where I posted it...

here:

As requested, here is the master chef vegetarian goldfish recipe

It is only a small batch as I don't like to freeze my gel food (this is for one week, even if I rarely finish it all)

(okey so my boyfriend typed this while I was cooking, so ignore the nutty comments, he likes to think he is funny )

1/4 red pepper, diced

3 small broccoli florets

1/4 courgette, diced

small handful of fresh spinach, small in my gf's terms means really really little.

3 clothes of garlic, fresh, cos the other one stinks up the fridge

50dl of fresh swiss sink water

then mix it in the mixer for human consumption

then weigh it in a pan = 200g

heat it up in a pan while prepping 3 leaves of cooking jelly (12 jellys for 1kg food) (pre-soak in cold water until nice and soft like a steak)

incorporate the jelly leaves one by one into the warm mixture, mix well

let cool and add a probiotic once cooled

I use Jelly leaves that have to be added to a warm mixture, I like it this way also because it makes the veggies easier for the fish to chew. I just make sure not to add too much Jelly or it gets hard and yuck. Also, I only add the Probiotic once the mixture has cooled as I am not too sure if it gets denatured in hotter temps. I sometimes also add vitaminC.

Federica~ wonderful advice, yes you are doing all you can as egg impaction can cause infection inside yes and the treatment now is good for it.

Keep us posted and I hope she recovers completely and soon smile.gif

Thx for the wonderful info.

Its allmost like cooking for humans :D

Cooking jelly, is that the small sheets that look "glass", used in fromage and stuff?

Do you feed it in frozed cubes to the fish?

I have not changed anything and i have seen the guys chase her, but without any

visible eggs in the tank.

If she is Eggbound, how do i get the eggs out??

I do now know Bioflorin, but i will research a little in the Danish fish forums.

UPDATE:

Tvilsen looks even better today :D :D :D

I will keep you guys posted!

Regards

Guldklumpen.

Edited by Guldklumpen

this is such a great thread, i can't stop reading.. congratulations on the fantastic progress..

About being eggbound, I'm not sure if it's the same for fish, but if birds lay more than two clutches a year; they can get a hormonal injection to help stop that.

Maybe they do that with fish also...

Tsvilen is looking great! I have been stopping by everynow and then for updates :) She is a very beautiful fish!

How is her poop? I think that at this point she is either reabsorbing them, or they will go out? I am not too sure.

But I was thinking, maybe it started with the popeye from the bacteria in the tank/filter, while she was already brewing eggs. So BECAUSE she had the popeye, she didn't drop the eggs, and that is why the dropsy came?

Yup the jelly I use is from the supermarket, you find it in the dessert section. They are hard transparent sheets. Mine you have to soak in cold water for 5 mins and then add them to the warm puree of veggies. It really is very easy. It usually takes me like 15mins. I don't freeze it tho, I just make tiny batches at a time. But some people do freeze it. I think you have to unfreeze before feeding tho :) I then cut out little squares 1cmx1cm for the large fish, and tinier for the babies :)

I am so happy she looks better!

How is the main tank going with the cycling? In case she gets better before it is cycled you should maybe wait to add her back in, so she doesn't get the cycling stress ;)

Thank you for the kind words guys, Tvilsen loves the compliments :D

Her poop is kinda "lumpy" and pale.

The main tank does not even show ammonia yet, so she wont go there for some time.

About probiotics, can you reccomend a product from this list?

Probiotics from Ebay.uk

Edited by Guldklumpen